What's new
What's new

Gerstner Riser box dimension question

nopoint

Aluminum
Reading some recent posts regarding Gerstner boxes got me thinking about drawing up my own riser box design and having my high school woods students each make one. Thinking probably 4 drawers without a locking front would probably be more than challenging enough for my group of students. Something that would work well enough as a tool box riser or on top of ones dresser. How thick does Gerstner make their case sides? I have my drawer layout etc fairly well figured out but am struggling with wanting the case strong but not ridiculously heavy.

Case sides are 1/2 inch full.

ps

I made my wife a "sewing box" patterned after the Gerstner middle box. Walnut and Carpithian elm with a leather top.
It came out nice enough that she keeps it in the front room on a stand to keep it off the floor.

Just make sure to make the inside dimension of the top rim wide and deep enough to fit a top box!

Sheet metal drawer bottoms saves a lot of room.

The front cover pivots take some fancy work for wood butchers. But easy for the metal muncher crowd. ;-)

Nothing three hours at the bench vise with a file won't take care of ;-)

Gerstner has an unfinished one on ebay with dimensions and photos that should help.

Gerstner Cherry 26" Tool Chest Base - Unfinished - Includes Parts to Finish | eBay
They used to sell these as seconds, except finished. I bought my top box, walnut, which they don't even sell now, the big one with the two drawers for the Handbook, for $175. With the cover. Had a tiny little ding on the back and the plunger guide thingy under the lid was slightly cracked.

$500 unfinished for just the bottom box as a second, ouch ouch ouch.

Back