What's new
What's new

Hand held CNC router....no, not Handibot....something else entirely...

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Shaper | Origin

Notice they are not even shipping until at least a year from now...and yet your credit card is processed immediatedly... but seems interesting...

I think that is really cool. It would be like having a large table machine that likely would cost more that the $1500 someone said on a prior thread.

Interesting to know the skill level required.. if you need to hold it near dead horizontal .. or if it would correct a little wavering.

Yes one can get a nice 16x 22" 3 axis for that price.. and one can work up on a strucure not flat on the table with a table machine.

Here is a video that Tested did I saw the other day, it shows it pretty well as far as what it takes to run it.

Hands-On with Shaper Origin Handheld CNC Router! - YouTube

From what I gather is how it actually works and maintains any accuracy is there is a X/Y carriage on it that compensates for the user not following the line exactly. I think that it is a pretty neat tool that could be useful. I am betting like any other tool, there are some nuances that would be frustrating, like the tape you have to apply to your part so it knows where it is. I also bet that the software and user system would be very aggravating for a person used to a traditional commercial cad/cam/cnc setup.

In that video it looks like holding a dead true horizontal is not important. Good.
Selling the tape will be a continuing income for the product.
Say it costs .25 in tape for every part, that is a good revenue source for the seller.
He could give a very good price on the machine to establish greater sale of the tape.

IMO the idea is neat but the implementation concept is flawed. Template and bearing guided routers use solidly fixed guides, including the edge of the workpiece. The way this is done with stick on tape looks a little imprecise and does the machine produce the tape or must you buy a special printer?

For pro and semi-pro use I would think some kind of reference frame clamped to the work would be better, either with conventional CNC router guides or even reflective targets for a laser. For larger work the frame could be re-positioned using alignment marks that could be sanded off later. I would also prefer more than two traction rollers to make it more controllable with larger bits. They do have some interesting partners but IMO this will be a novelty for well-heeled hobbyists and later entries into the market will address the shortcomings I noted above.

IMO the idea is neat but the implementation concept is flawed. Template and bearing guided routers use solidly fixed guides, including the edge of the workpiece. The way this is done with stick on tape looks a little imprecise and does the machine produce the tape or must you buy a special printer?

For pro and semi-pro use I would think some kind of reference frame clamped to the work would be better, either with conventional CNC router guides or even reflective targets for a laser. For larger work the frame could be re-positioned using alignment marks that could be sanded off later. I would also prefer more than two traction rollers to make it more controllable with larger bits. They do have some interesting partners but IMO this will be a novelty for well-heeled hobbyists and later entries into the market will address the shortcomings I noted above.

That brings up a good point, When the router makes an adjustment to the program and the cutter moves in a direction some of that force will be directed to the cutter and so tend to resist the move and then perhaps try to move the machine.

Now that's too cool for school! On the how it works it says if you take the router off course it retracts the tool & stops - when you go back to the indented part path at the place it stopped it will restart and plunge & you take off from there.

Says it remembers where it stopped on a cut and you can go back to it another time/date and take off from the point you stopped!

Pretty awesome,
Matt

This tool is amazing (from what I can see anyways), thanks for posting this! both me and a coworker want to buy these now :D

nothing stopping this from doing aluminum, by the way. toss your 1/4" aluminum-type O-flute in there, and depth cut as necessary to achieve a clean finish... Pretty sure if I get one of these I'm never leaving the shop :smoking:

That is pretty cool.

I have been wanting to build a plasma/router table, like a 5x5 expandable to 5x10

It really has me interested.

If this works I'm totally getting one for work but only after it's proven. (I can only imagine how much institutional trouble I'd get in funding a Kickstarter!) One cool thing is the fact it's super compact so if you do occasional routing but not that often compared other shop functions, this would be great. We simply don't have space for a table router.

Back