What's new
What's new

I need a source for rubber band stock

Trboatworks

Diamond
Guys-

I have a spar glue up to do and need a roll of band stock.
Maybe 1/16x1/2” or larger.

Where do you buy this stuff?

Thanks all

I need a long length of rubber band to use to wrap a wooden mast to clamp up the staves.

Yes I could take a truck inner tube and cut a long spiral to get material but I don’t want to screw around with that and just buy a roll of elastic banding.

I used to have rolls of the stuff years back- handy as hell for glue ups.
Fabric elastic band as used in sewing does not work so good as it bonds to layup.

Do you have enough time for the glue set up to wrap with tight with dry sisal, then wet it and let it shrink? Might be a bit hard to control pressure though.

try a medical supply place. Years ago, I had surgery on my thumb, and they wrapped what appeared to be a rubber band 2" wide around my arm from fingers to shoulder to force the blood out, then released it to let the pain killer in through the IV.

while I can't figure out exactly how you want to use the rubber bands...
could you use layflat hose, and then air it up ?

It sounds like he's going to assemble all the staves and then wrap the whole thing with rubber bands to pull the joints together, make the part concentric, and apply enough pressure for whatever glue is in use.

I use collapsible discharge hose in various sizes for various glue up tasks. But it would probably not be convenient for the purpose described unless the spar is a really big one. Then it might be ideal. (spiral wrap it around flat, then inflate)

Not my work, just examples from a friends boat

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

It sounds like he's going to assemble all the staves and then wrap the whole thing with rubber bands to pull the joints together, make the part concentric, and apply enough pressure for whatever glue is in use.

I use collapsible discharge hose in various sizes for various glue up tasks. But it would probably not be convenient for the purpose described unless the spar is a really big one. Then it might be ideal. (spiral wrap it around flat, then inflate)

Not my work, just examples from a friends boat

View attachment 209598

View attachment 209599

Hello Stephen- right you are.

There was a ‘bit of a soft spot’ so I chopped 8’ off the heel.

4FA09001-8250-400F-B9D4-D5C50431945E.jpg

Just a simple box spar:

189997AF-94F0-4C0D-A0D6-EDB6A2302EAB.jpg,

but the final glue up has the two fore/aft 12:1 scarfs in the staves so I wanted to band the whole mess to clamp up.
Epoxy job so just alignment needed- not much pressure.

I am thinking now to just band the scarfs and clamp the rest.
Damn thing is a ‘love job’ done for a 1/4 of labor in work as I felt pity for the young couple who got caught out with needing this repair and not having coin for a new spar in alloy..
I enjoyed having a proper shipwright job for once after all the ‘teak bits on glass boats’:

18CCF60C-0820-4035-8DEA-2A870C45CDA8.jpg,

But now I have to just get it done as other work is calling..

Try an orchard or plant nursery equipment supplier, and do a search on the terms "grafting rubber" or "budding rubber." I have dealt with a firm here called Oesco but there may be a supplier closer to you.

The ones I have seen were cut into approximately 6" lengths, but someone probably sells the rolls they were cut from. One note: the rubber is designed to break down in sunlight after a month or two; I'm guessing your glue will have set long before that happens.

Cotton or natural fibre twine is good, soak it for a hour or so first and then wrap it tight, will shrink as it dries out putting on plenty of pressure, kinda a std approach in the fly fisihing rod game (friend makes em at least semi commercially)

Back