What's new
What's new

I want to make a truck topper

henrya

Titanium
Yes really and I know that I could just buy one but I've done that before and I think I can make something better. What's holding up my decision to start is the plan for the windows. It seems there should be some boat building techniques and methods that would fit my needs. Or maybe something I've never even thought about.

Glass or plastic? Framed or frameless? How to hinge and latch? Opinions, informed or otherwise, are welcome.

Yes really and I know that I could just buy one but I've done that before and I think I can make something better. What's holding up my decision to start is the plan for the windows. It seems there should be some boat building techniques and methods that would fit my needs. Or maybe something I've never even thought about.

Glass or plastic? Framed or frameless? How to hinge and latch? Opinions, informed or otherwise, are welcome.

My familiarity with boat-building extends only to one experience helping to outfit a 38' fiberglass hull racing sloop in Massachusetts in the late 80's. In that case, I used bronze polycarbonate shaped to fit the window cutouts, which had a depressed flange about 1-1/2" wide made in the layup, and just gooped them up with silicone sealant as adhesive to stick them to the flange. It seemed very effective; at least the windows didn't pop out during the maiden voyage (Buzzard's Bay in bloody NOVEMBER).

I'm picturing a nice 3:12 pitched roof made with wood shingles (gorilla glue
them down) and nice wood shingles for the siding as well, a little stove pipe
out the back as well for effect.

My familiarity with boat-building extends only to one experience helping to outfit a 38' fiberglass hull racing sloop in Massachusetts in the late 80's. In that case, I used bronze polycarbonate shaped to fit the window cutouts, which had a depressed flange about 1-1/2" wide made in the layup, and just gooped them up with silicone sealant as adhesive to stick them to the flange. It seemed very effective; at least the windows didn't pop out during the maiden voyage (Buzzard's Bay in bloody NOVEMBER).

That could be a good way to do it. How would polycarbonate hold up over time?

I'm picturing a nice 3:12 pitched roof made with wood shingles (gorilla glue
them down) and nice wood shingles for the siding as well, a little stove pipe
out the back as well for effect.

Could be cute on an antique truck. Maybe not on my new one. Im thinking more like a factory made shell look, but skin over frame instead of chopper gun sprayed into a mold.

I imagine you can probably buy the windows with frames and other accessories in various materials and qualities through a camper or RV dealer? Or maybe even approach the mfg's? Unless the look desired is very specific.

I remember back far enough, that early metal campers often just used regular low end hardware from house porch, or house trailer apps.

Looks like Blaine has gotten bigger over the years and may even support some of the camper stuff.

Blaine Hardware - Window Hardware and Window Parts

smt

Google rv parts Gilroy ca...

There is a place there that supplies oem parts and other odd ball stuff that nobody else carries.

They may have general catalog that you can look at with the many options for rv and utility use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

That could be a good way to do it. How would polycarbonate hold up over time?

UV exposure and thermal cycling are certainly your enemies in this regard, although the link shows a pretty good lifetime for UV-coated material.

http://www.bristolite.com/interfaces/media/Tech Report GE Lexan Polycarbonate 10 Year Aging.pdf

If I were doing it, I'd look for a way to be able to easily replace a damaged window, like some sort of mechanical frame attachment. The silicone-only approach is good for weight reduction and differentials in CTE, and may be less expensive, but servicing later is a PITA, most likely.

Could be cute on an antique truck. Maybe not on my new one. Im thinking more like a factory made shell look, but skin over frame instead of chopper gun sprayed into a mold.
They make canoes with wood strips and a layer of fiberglass over.

Or carve up what you want from Styrofoam, glass over, then wash out with gas.

Back