What's new
What's new

Making a spiral planer/jointer head

kresso

Plastic
I am new here and have found a wealth of information, but I am wondering if anyone has made a spiral jointer or planer head? I was thinking I could buy some hot rolled steel and then drill and tap the configuration that I want. It wouldn't be a shelix or helical head, more like the ones from grizzly (8" Spiral Cutterhead for G:bawling: | Grizzly Industrial). Does that seem crazy or feasible? Do you think I would have to flatten the part of the bar around the tap for the heads so they fit flush to the bar, or do you think into the bar would be enough? Thanks!

I get caught up in making things I can buy more than anybody else I know, and IMO you'd be crazy to even think about trying to make one vs buy. That link is showing $603 (canuck bucks), and for all the time and labour (4th axis mill work) involved, I'd much rather buy it. Unless you have some odd ball jointer or planer and can't find a head for it. Even then you're probably money and time ahead by selling it and buying one with either a shelix head already in it, or one that is readily available.

It sounds like you plan on doing this on a drill press? Really? Each insert needs its own precision made pocket and simply attaching them to a piece of hot rolled round is a recipe for disaster. I have the CNC equipment to make that item as good or better than the one Grizzly has. But for less than $400 bucks? Why waste my time unless I suddenly needed 20 of them.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the consensus is that this isn't worth it and probably my plan will end in sadness as it stands even if I did make it :( I appreciate the replies.

I do not think hot rolled will be a good choice. Maybe stress proof or tool steel. I agree that you will probably have to CNC each pocket. Probably easier and cheaper to buy one a little longer/wider then needed and turn one end down so the new width fits your machine. Of course this assumes you can find one whose diameter will work in your machine with minimal extra machining.
Bill D.

I'll put my two cents in... I'm a toolmaker and I make all kinds of custom toolhlders for inserts. That said, to make a spiral cutter head with even a short 6" jointer Would take 30 of 40 pockets with depth held consistent to + or - .001 and 3 sides held to similar tolerances not to mention drilling and tapping them on manual equipment... NFW! That would drive you batshit in no time!!😱😱😱. Not to mention that when you buy a head from Grizzly you get all the inserts plus some extra. If you made it for free you would still have half the price in inserts to use it!

I've made plenty of conventional cutterheads in 2, 3, & 4 wing, with about as many gib styles. (Wedge, pocket, visegrip).

I have also made quite a few insert body tools for wood and metal working inserts. It is not as difficult as some here describe, but maybe it is if you have never done it. Lots of gotchas on manual machines.

The bottom line as Onepass mentions, is 'til you buy the inserts and screws, material for the tool body, and maybe account for some consumable tooling drill, tap, small em's with tapers) and cutting fluids, there is not really much savings.

I do like the idea of HR steel, certainly do not use CR. My choice when I have to buy the material is 4140 (4242) prehard. But honestly I'm usually in too much of a hurry when the notion bites to make one, and I have used quite a bit of junkyard mystery metal as well. Usually some sort of heavy shafting.

We've had the argument on here before, but I do not like stress-proof for stuff with a lot of machining, especially assymetrical features. It moves, even if it is "not supposed to".

smt_inserttooling1.jpg

smt_inserttooling3.jpg

smt_inserttooling5.jpg

smt_inserttooling8.jpg

smt_inserttooling11.jpg

All the insert and brazed tooling in this stack was made here. There is a matching female set.

smt_brazedcarbide21.jpg

smt

Back