What's new
What's new

Need Advice On Clear Coat Over Spray Enamel Paint

Vladymere gr

Hot Rolled
I am a home hobbyist in need of advice.

I am refinishing my granddaughter’s cello. Normally it would be sacrilege to refinish a stringed instruments finish but this the lowest grade student instrument made from plywood and originally finished in what I think was an epoxy finish, sky blue.

Over the years the finish has chipped and my granddaughter’s elation over the color has waned. She asked me to refinish it. Those of you that have a young teenaged granddaughter that still idolizes you know what you say when she asks you if you can perform a task like this.

So I’ve stripped the instrument of it original finish, down to the bare wood, coated it in three or four cans of Krylon brand gray primer and then three cans of the color of Krylon brand spray enamel that my granddaughter chose for the new color, scuffing the finish in between coats with a grey Scotchbrite pad.

I tried coating the instrument in about six coats of Minwax Polycrylic; a water based polyurethane trying to achieve a smooth clear, glossy top coat. I again use3d the grey Scotchbite pad in between coats. I chose the water based poly since it does not yellow with time I have read. I could never get a smooth finish. In addition the color changed with all of the scuffing and coat applications.

I am stripping it back down to the paint, taking all the poly off and will repaint it with the Krylon spray enamel.

Now for the advice I seek. What should I use to give a tough, clear glossy finish over the Krylon enamel paint? Should I use Krylon clear Coat spray in a can? Traditional brush on Polyurethane? Wipe on Polyurethane? Something else?

Thanks fellows,

Vlad

Vlad,

It's always the safer bet to re-coat or cover a new paint with a product made by the same company so as to be compatible and not lift the coat its covering. If you really want to try other products, make sure they are too 'hot' which will again, lift the base coat. Painting a separate test board and using it for the clear coat Guinea pig is always a wise move.

Stuart

Vlad,

Not knowing what type of instrument you have or how much effort you want to put into it, but there are actually folks that powder-coat wood. A little detective work in your area may turn up a business that can do this. The results would be shiny and durable.

Stuart

Stuart,

I wish I had known about the powder coating of wood before I started this project. It has kicked my ass.

I have stripped the poly off and will reprime and repaint then I will try the Krylon clear gloss spray.

Something I need to remember when I get involved in these type of projects that "perfection is the enemy of good enough".

Thanks you Stuart,

Vlad

I use M.L. Campbell Krystal catalyzed varnish for kitchen cabinet finishes. Over stain or colored sealers, it's very durable and non-yellowing. Requires spray equipment, but it's a great product if you have that ability.

Back