What's new
What's new

Need Help finishing my 1965 Delta 17" Drill Press Rebuild/Restoration (Vid Attached)

Grizzlybagworks

Plastic
Need Help finishing my 1965 Delta 17" Drill Press Rebuild/Restoration (Vid Attached)

I'm almost finished with my 17" drill press restoration but have run into a couple challenging problems. I'll just cut straight to it.

Problem #1: The upper bearing on the upper spindle shaft was totally seized and ended up spinning on the shaft. The shaft is 25mm but is currently worn down to 24.4mm. The location is pretty much dead center on the shaft.

Possible Solutions:
1. JB Weld the worn area and turn that down to size. (Safest/Easiest but longevity is questionable)
2. TIG Braze w/ Silicon Bronze and turn that to size (Possible Distortion ??)
3. Braze w/ Acetylene (Possible Distortion?)

Problem #2: The shoulder on the lower motor pulley also had a bearing spin and wear it down. The pulley appears to be cast aluminum.

Possible Solutions:
1. Mount the pulley on the shaft, mount it between centers and turn down the shoulder. Then press on a sleeve and turn to size (what material should I use?)
2. Build up Weld Bead around the shoulder and turn it down to size (Possible Distortion or problems welding on the cast aluminum)
3. JB Weld Build up/Turning?

I realize the ideal fix for the spindle is to have it done professionally (spray weld or hard chroming) but I just can't justify the cost.

ANy input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 10.53.54 AM.jpg

Depends on how much money you want to put into it. You could arc spray metalize it $300-500. You could turn the worn area down, make a split sleeve and press a bearing over the sleeve. This I have done and it works well.

Tom

I had a similar problem on my walker turner 20" dp. I used jb weld as a temporary fix and it is still working fine 10 years latter. If it fails easy enough to burn it off and use something better. The jb weld will not distort the shaft which is a big plus in my mind.
Bil lD

on the shaft weld/press to straighten and remachine bearing fit.
Or cut off somewhere between spline and bearing.Stub weld on a new piece
of larger diameter.Turn new section to required sizes.
For the pulley just use aluminum for the sleeve.Shrink parts together.

Back