Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need help replacing bearings in old two head shaper

I bought an old two head shaper several years ago that needed new bearings. I have come to the point that I need it but am having trouble figuring out how the spindle comes out. I will post some pictures and maybe someone can give me some pointers. Will gladly get more pictures and information if needed. This machine was not well cared for, I bought it at an auction in TN. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170307_164507.jpg   20170307_164519.jpg   20170307_164524.jpg   20170307_164620.jpg   20170308_161110.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First I would pull the actual spindle from the whole assembly. Save you the risk of bending it. Then I would pull the whole yoke assembly from the machine and work on it on a bench, much easier to deal with. Once you get it out and the dust covers off the bearings it should be a bit more obvious what you need to do to pull everything apart.

Dan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

VintageMachinery.org | Welcome has several publications on the N4, including a N-4 Spindle Cartridge Drawing. Might be similar to your N3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd suggest asking this question on the OWWM forum, all about old woodworking machines

Old Woodworking Machines - Old Woodworking Machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by inwoodcutter View Post
    First I would pull the actual spindle from the whole assembly. Save you the risk of bending it. Then I would pull the whole yoke assembly from the machine and work on it on a bench, much easier to deal with. Once you get it out and the dust covers off the bearings it should be a bit more obvious what you need to do to pull everything apart.

Dan
    That's what I am trying to find out how to do, pull the spindle? All the newer machinery that I work on, most push out the top for instance scmi shapers. This is a different machine for my fixing. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    VintageMachinery.org | Welcome has several publications on the N4, including a N-4 Spindle Cartridge Drawing. Might be similar to your N3.
    Thank you for the link. I found it but can not download it to a pdf for an exploded view. All the rest of the pdf's will load. Just my luck. Thanks for ur help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What are all those notches on the spindle? I would assume you may have to remove the pulley then lift the spindle out from the top. Or is this an old flat belt drive?
    Bill D.

here is a powermatic spindle, maybe yours is similar?

http://www.woodweb.com/images_forums.../image_34.jpeg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by turkeybuzzard View Post
    That's what I am trying to find out how to do, pull the spindle? All the newer machinery that I work on, most push out the top for instance scmi shapers. This is a different machine for my fixing. Thank you.
    I guess we're not speaking each other's language. on the top of the whole spindle is the threaded shaft portion that you put cutter heads on. If you notice there are flats for a wrench right at the bottom of this area. Those are to remove that portion of the shaft from the rest of the spindle. You should have a place lower on the whole shaft, perhaps below the pulley, to hold the shaft to unscrew the upper spindle. Once you do this you should be able to unbolt the slides from the front of the machine and pull the whole yoke out the front. A couple more pictures from the front and standing a couple feet further back would help me to explain this.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by inwoodcutter View Post
    I guess we're not speaking each other's language. on the top of the whole spindle is the threaded shaft portion that you put cutter heads on. If you notice there are flats for a wrench right at the bottom of this area. Those are to remove that portion of the shaft from the rest of the spindle. You should have a place lower on the whole shaft, perhaps below the pulley, to hold the shaft to unscrew the upper spindle. Once you do this you should be able to unbolt the slides from the front of the machine and pull the whole yoke out the front. A couple more pictures from the front and standing a couple feet further back would help me to explain this.

Dan
    Thanks so much. I will try that tomorrow when I have some time. I knew it would be simple and as always I over think some things. Like I said all of my bearing replacing has consisted of pressing the whole spindle out of the cartridge while still in the machine. My dad got cancer after I bought the machine and passed away before we could start on the bearings. Thanks Dan, and everyone who replied.