What's new
What's new

never tried a pin router, are they practical/useful?

powerglider

Stainless
Looking at a local SCMI R8 pin router and it just looks like a machine that could be practical.

I have the space and the machine itself isn't too expensive.

I'm thinking of using it for contouring circular forms of wood and plunge cutting openings in same forms.

I think you answered your own question. You have the room, it isn't too expensive, you actually have a use for it.

What else do you need ro know? :drool5:

My Onsrud appears to be built on a similar platform (maybe built in same factory?), though there appears to be more iron in the column and the table is bigger on the Onsrud. Does the table tilt on the SCMI version as it does on the O-branded machine? Other than that, the quill, turret, and such appear the same. The SCMI appears to have a nice front control for the pin up-down that is not included on mine. Maybe it would not function with a tilt table.

Check the rpms. Mine is 5,000 low, 10,000 high. This is a bit slow for small bits. Suits me fine for what I use it for, and runs perfectly OK with 1/2" and larger bits. With a 5/8" collet, it's possible to hang small shaper cutters on the end at 5,000. A little slow for 3/8" and quite slow for 1/4 or smaller, but no real problems with sharp bits and a slower feed. A machine with 16,000 high and 8,000rpm low might be ideal, but again, this one does everything that I need. I would hate to give up the tilt table for an all around machine, but it was not really much a feature of traditional work

They were designed to do repeat multiples of the tasks you describe.

These go cheap on the IRS auction site, nobody but us small shops want them anymore since cnc.

smt_onsrud1.jpg

smt_onsrud5.jpg

smt_onsrud4.jpg

smt

here is a link to the sale posting. I talked to the owner yesterday evening and just need to work out a convenient time for both of us for the pick up (it's about 1 hour 20 minutes away). I'll be loading it in my Sprinter van (about 71" height clearance on inside (a few less inches to get in the doors. Some other information I've seen on similar models put it around a little over 500 Kg, so less than 1500 lbs. Doesn't look that heavy from the picture and owner didn't know the exact weight. Not sure if the table tilts, hoping it does. Price is $300 so nothing crazy if it doesn't work out for me.
SCMI Overhead Router(3 phase motor)

That's a great price for a modern machine in good shape.
I paid a little more more than double that, but like yours it was more or less nearby, and general condition was near new. Plus the tilting table which is not common. Mine needed a belt (got it from Baltimore Belting) & needs spindle bearings (singing) but I've used it that way on & off for probably 10 years at this point.

Is the one in your link 2 speed? Not a big deal if not, I only rarely use 5Krpm with small shaper cutters, and certainly don't "need" it. But if single speed, hopefully somewhat more than 12,000rpm for router bits.

Oh, another item - these can be used for pattern drilling if the snubber cylinder is in place. That was another missing item on mine, and the successor co to Onsrud wanted something like $700 for one IIRC. Just a small air cylinder, but built compactly to fit the space and still yield the 4" stroke travel available with the spindle. I've never acquired one. Your post suggests (for me) looking over the SCMI repair parts site might hopefully be useful.

FWIW, I can drill without the cylinder, but the plunge is, shall we say, "abrupt". For pockets with a shorter stroke, i just dial down the pressure on the feed cylinder and accept that it is a little hesitant to start but then plunges more or less smoothly.

smt

If you wanted to contact the parts/tech service at SCM to see if they're familiar with that machine and whether or not they still stock or can source any of the parts/accessories the website with contact info is: SCM - Parts Pronto

I've had a pin router for about 12 years and love it. I'm considering a second. Great for curved work. Great for quick rabbets or grooves. I use pins, fences, etc., straight and curved work. If you limited me on the machines I could have in the shop the pin router would be high on the list. Once I got used to how I could use a pin router the router tables got thrown out and the hand routers are reserved for when the work is too big to go to the machine. Mine is a very old Onsrud W240 with 10 & 20K RPM speeds. Rarely use the high speed mainly cause it scares the bejesus out of me.

Back