What's new
What's new

OLD DeWalt Radial Arm Saw.- Really Old

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
Hi Guys- I've been hoarding this really old DeWalt radial arm saw and I'm wondering if it has any
value. It's a model GB and the serial # is 200. Do woodworkers get old iron disease ?
It belonged to an old family friend and I know he built no less than three houses with it, but I'm not in love with it
and would like it to go to someone who can give it a good home. My other 100,000 # s of machines is enough, and I could use the
space in my garage. Its just the saw, column and overarm- no table- it left a long time ago.
If anyone can point me in a direction to find it a home, that would be great.

Dan

You've been around long enough to know the rules: "no pictures, didn't happen" :D

Seriously, I've seen a few from the 1920's.
Earliest I remember was in a stone yard in Baltimore, for trimming smaller pieces of stone & marble. It was very cool looking, but about beat to death. The original Dewalts were described as ideal for that type work, and for cutting roofing tiles and slates in early catalogs.

If you machine is from the 1920's, it probably ought to be saved.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/252/2123.pdf

The problem is that by the late 20's, the serial #'s were already into the thousands:
Photo Index - DeWalt Products Co. - CG | VintageMachinery.org

But somewhere in the 50's, some of the smaller saws apparently started over with low serial #'s in the hundreds, again.

Photo Index - DeWalt Products Co. - MBF | VintageMachinery.org

So, if yours is really a pre-WW2 model, it may be "important" historically.

If it is from the 50's, it is only sort of interesting, but would interest many "radio alarm saw" afficianados.
And whippersnappers who seem to think the 1950's were a "long time ago" :D

smt

Stephen- thanks for the links. I found one that appears to be the same model in the photo index at the Vintage machinery site above.

The one in the link is a few machines older but its certainly the same machine. Looks to be from about 1938.

Photo Index - DeWalt Products Co. - saw | VintageMachinery.org

It was late Sunday night when we decided to check the serial number on my saw, so all we got was a quick snap shot of the serial # tag. I'll get some pics up of the old girl after I get it dug out. Thanks for your reply.

Dan

Yes, woodworkers get old iron disease.

From the pictures you snaged from Vintage machinery it looks like we are talking about an earlyer cast iron machine made well before Black & Decker took the value out of DeWalts saws.

The last time I bought DeWalt saw was about 10 years ago.
$300 or so was the going price for a complete lumber yard type saw with full table and stand, and single phase and good to go.
Home owner class saws in fix me up shape bring very little at garage sales or auctions.
$100 is a good day in my experiance, and the value was questionable.

As to value - several factors come into play

Is it three phase - if so not many takers and the price is low.
Is the arbor a standard size (5/8 or 1"). If not its hard to tool up and not many takers.
Is it home shop size? That helps
Are all the metal parts present and accounted for. If not, well its a big project and low low price..
Does the colum lock properly. Some models of DeWalt saw had problems in this area.
Does the colum crank from above or in front of the saw. Front side crank is nicer in most shops.

The sliding power miter box has replaced the arm saw on construction sites.
Arm saws are good for breaking down rough stock, and a few other things.
I have one, and rarely use it. The power miter box is so much better for most things.

All the iron is there- I removed it from the wood base it was on (probably the original one that the original owner built for it when he purchased it.) I don't know if these came with a factory base that long ago or if you built your own. The old base was VERY worn from use and a beast. It is single phase and has the art deco style cast aluminum blade guard on it. Its greasy and has not been abused from what i can tell, and has always been kept inside. This is a pretty small unit- not a big monster saw with a 12" blade. I'll check the motor and arbor size when I get more pictures.
Dan

There's a forum devoted to DeWalt radial arm saws, with a devoted following of people who use and love these things. There is at least a connection with "Mr. Sawdust," the old De Walt promoter and demonstrator who wrote a book on how to utilize the machine, which is still in print. The publishers of the book, children of the original Wally Kunkel (Mr. Sawdust) link to the forum on their page. People regularly make new tables for old radial arm saws, often to Mr. Sawdust's pattern.

The forum requires registration, but it's free: The DeWalt Radial Arm Saw Discussion Forum

Even if it turns out not to be historic, cast iron G-series saws are considered really good machines, and there is almost certainly someone who would like to take it over.

If I had room, I'd make a bid for it, but for now I'll stick with the 9 inch MB.

Dan this Richard from San Antonio TX. I might be interested in the saw as long as it's not a phase three you need special wiring for that give me a call on the cost etc. at 210-823-4731.
Thanks
Richard

Back