What's new
What's new

Oliver No. 1 Universal Vise

WoodWork

Plastic
Need help on Oliver No. 1 Universal Vise

I just picked up this vise, it's still in very good shape but has couple missing parts. I'm searching ebay for these parts but also hoping someone from this site has this same vise and be able to help me with detail drawing/dimension for these parts. I'm thinking these parts shouldn't be complicate to hire someone to machine them but in need of dimensions for them since I'm totally new to this type of vise. Your help is much appreciated. Please see attached pictures for missing components.

Sincerely,
Nghia

Here is the actual vise
Oliver Vise.JPG
Here are the missing part:
Oliver Vise Missing Parts.jpg

Last edited:
Those parts are not hard to make and the dimensions are not critical. You have the old threaded bolt so a new one just needs to be longer with a matching thread for the handle.
The bench bracket needs to be a bit lower than the new bolt location so there is room to swing the vice up to vertical, again not a critical measurement. The flat bar that connects just needs a slot long enough to allow full movement of the vice. You could mock up the parts in wood and take them to a shop to have them made.
There was a company selling bench brackets for these vices and I emailed them several times with no response, I will have to try calling directly. It might be less expensive just to buy the ready made set.
I need a bench bracket for my Yost vice.

Michael

I had to make a part for the Yost vise I bought 20 years ago. Just a retainer in my case, which I made myself. That type of vise is a joy to have mounted on the bench!
Jack

Back