What's new
What's new

Oliver Wood Lathe

boomerx

Plastic
I recently picked-up this Oliver Wood Lathe. I think it has what are called plain or Journal Bearings.
It does not have a model number it has a shop number.There are two holes on the back of the head stock
that use thumb screws are these for adding lubrication? It appears to have been greased rather than oiled.
Between the sleeves there is an oversized ring is it intended to splash lube on the shaft? Any recommendations on lubing this lathe? I have attached some photos any and all comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks, boomerxOliver Lathe 001.jpgOliver Lathe 002.jpgOliver Lathe 003.jpgOliver Lathe 004.jpg

Attachments

• Oliver Lathe 013.jpg
    Oliver Lathe 013.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 268
Yes, its RING OILED. Put some light oil in the pockets for the rings to dip into. The rings will turn with the spindle and bring up oil and dump it on the journals

Mobil Velocite 10 is what I would use in these areas - its a SPINDLE OIL

From the somewhat off beat design, these may be able to sling enough oil at high speed to create a MIST lube system in those large chambers.

From this, if so, I'd assume this lathe was intended for high speeds - which means small diameter wooden parts

Looks like #19 speed lathe. Coverage here starts on page 144 of catalog, pdf page 114 - from 1923

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/5128.pdf

Thank you for replying and the info. It's does look like a 19..this one is 48" between centers... now the fun of cleaning
stripping and painting.

Back