What's new
What's new

OT. Glueing Pressure treated wood]

I also have used PL Construction Adhesive with very good success. I did some tests first and after 24hr cure the bond/joint was hard to break.

I should have thought of google first. thanks guys. Looks like gorilla glue if the wood is still damp Titebond 111 if dry. Construction adhesive won't work for the joints I need to glue.............Bob

What are you building?

You’ll get lots better answers if you let us know.

I should have thought of google first. thanks guys. Looks like gorilla glue if the wood is still damp Titebond 111 if dry. Construction adhesive won't work for the joints I need to glue.............Bob

Why? —— Are you making fine furniture with construction lumber.

Gorilla glue is not as good as it is claimed to be. I have had failures with it in semi-outdoor applications.

One was the front screen door. The closer got ripped out of the door frame (old growth pine from the 1930s) by a windstorm.

I drilled out, made, and inserted plugs using gorilla glue, because it was "weatherproof",being a "setting" type glue, not a water base. . The new closer was screwed into the plugs.

So, 3 or 4 years later, I opened the door, and all four plugs slid right out of their holes. The glue failed.

This was glue used on new wood surfaces, no dust, or failure to clean, etc was, nor could have been, involved. The Gorilla glue just broke down and failed.

Gorilla glue works better on skin than it does on wood. It also does not easily scrape off of wood joints as does Titebond. And it does not allow blend sanding with sawdust. I only use it for fixtures and models, and that is only because I want to use up the little bottles that I have.

In addition to all that, it does not store well.

Dry it well first and anything will do.
A better question might be “what is the best outdoor glue for wood”?

Or in other words- why are you using PT wood for your project..

I guess I should have given more details but it's just a goofy little project I didn't think it mattered.
OTOH the best thing about this site is the way you guys get into it.
A friend has an old horse drawn plow he uses for "lawn art" and the handles are rotted away at the plow end. He asked if I would make him a pair of new ones and it would involve some glueing. He wanted me to use PT.
I've since seen that new replacement handles are readily available so the project is KAPUT. Thanks. As almost always I did pick up a few nuggets of info here............Bob

Late to the party; but I do exterior projects with PT and WEST epoxy.

As others noted, you have to buy the wood ahead of time and dry it below 15% MC. (any epoxy would rather bond with water than with wood, though if there is no free water present its affinity to wood is extreme.)

Next, it is necessary to joint & dimension the parts flat enough to glue. This removes some of the PT; but if done conservatively is still durable in above ground installations.

Gorilla glue is garbage. Titebond is useless for true outdoor full exposure.

The arches are redwood, but the bulk of the lumber, the posts, are PT.
The posts are glued up boxes and slide over Sched 40 pipe planted in concrete. (the posts float, slightly, to accommodate climate issues; and are on replaceable plinths with rubber layer interface at the ground level to minimize wicking).

smt_bentarch20.jpg

smt_bentarch15.jpg

smt_bentarch13.jpg

smt

Back