What's new
What's new

OT? Portable Jointer Recommendation

Scottl

Diamond
I know these are no substitute for a heavy iron jointer but are there any portables that do an acceptable job?

A friend has need of something that can be hauled to jobsites along with the portable table saw and other tools in the back of a pickup truck. He thinks something with a six inch cut would be OK.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would recommend a pre 1985 6" Jointer by Delta such as this: Photo Index - Delta Manufacturing Co. - 6" Jointer 37-27 | VintageMachinery.org
Well made and accurate, parts are plentiful if needed (eBay,OWWM.org classifieds) and works well within the limitations of a 6" jointer. There are long bed versions of the jointer but the more numerous short bed versions would be more suitable for use as a portable machine. Two men should be able to handle getting it around the job site. A 4" machine would be more portable but doesn't really have a suitable working envelope for general work.

Not sure if this is what you meant by not "heavy iron". I usually consider heavy woodworking iron to be something like a 16" Northfield HD jointer
MILO

I would recommend a pre 1985 6" Jointer by Delta such as this: Photo Index - Delta Manufacturing Co. - 6" Jointer 37-27 | VintageMachinery.org
Well made and accurate, parts are plentiful if needed (eBay,OWWM.org classifieds) and works well within the limitations of a 6" jointer. There are long bed versions of the jointer but the more numerous short bed versions would be more suitable for use as a portable machine. Two men should be able to handle getting it around the job site. A 4" machine would be more portable but doesn't really have a suitable working envelope for general work.

Kirk

The problem is simply that there is no space for a heavy stand mounted jointer. He already has a heavy duty one in the shop but needs something on-site that can be slid into the back of an already crowded pickup bed and carried up and down stairs when needed. The hand-held power planer has too many limitations for some jobs and the shop jointer is too far away.

Porter Cable and Delta both have a 6" bench top jointer. Spec's say 40 pounds, so it's portable within reason. I've used the Porter Cable version at a friends house. It works for hobby projects, should be OK for occasional on-site work. I wouldn't trade a new Porter Cable portable for my Powermatic, unless it was me who had to carry it up the stairs at the job site.

My experience with any of the small jointers is that the bed is just too short. What kind of work are you planning to do with it? Are you trying to prep rough-sawn lumber, or just need to clean up after a rip cut?

If the former, you might try using a long clamp guide like this one: All-In-One Low-Profile Contractor Clamps, New & Improved!-Clamps - Rockler Woodworking Tools. I use one on the tablesaw to get a straight line rip on rough stock. If you just need a better cut, go for a really good sawblade, like a Forrest, and clean up with a hand plane or a sander.

If you want to surface one side, then, as earlier mentioned, make a sled for the planer.

I've been a professional cabinetmaker for some 45 years, and I've never owned a jointer.

A looong time ago, we used a Walker Turner 6" and even, gads, a crapsman 6" on one job.

I believe WT was one of the groups bought out by Rockwell and melded with Delta. Could be wrong, someone else will know the history. But the point is, in the 6" class it is a good jointer and with a 3/4hp motor was as easy as most other small tools and compressors of the era to move on and off a truck to the jobsite.

The crapsman was lighter and adequate, but the problem is they don't (that model) have movable outfeed tables, so if the knives aren't aligned, there is nothing to do to adjust to correct when you are mostly using the tool to make time and not fool around setting up while the clock is ticking for a crew.

smt

I need one that I could carry to jobsites also... I ended up with one of these jointers Simply because it was light enough to get upstairs, would do the job I needed done and was available in an hour... I've had it for about 6 years now and while it's nothing like a "real" jointer it gets me by on job sites.

You could look into Makita's large hand held power planers.

They have a 6 3/4" and a 12 1/4".

$700 and $2000, not cheap but certainly portable.

I have no idea if it could solve your problems but certainly worth looking into it.

I think I have seen the Samurai Carpenter on YouTube using the largest one.

Good luck

Porter Cable and Delta both have a 6" bench top jointer. Spec's say 40 pounds, so it's portable within reason. I've used the Porter Cable version at a friends house. It works for hobby projects, should be OK for occasional on-site work. I wouldn't trade a new Porter Cable portable for my Powermatic, unless it was me who had to carry it up the stairs at the job site.

In the most recent conversation he said he's decided to go with the Porter Cable. Most of the work will be window and door stuff in old houses and the edge trimmed by the jointer will be hand planed or block sanded to remove marks, and is usually at least partly hidden from view anyway. The portable is an alternative to the hand held power plane, which doesn't do well on thin pieces.

This guy has a fully equipped shop in his barn where he does most of the work but there are always things that pop up on site that must be dealt with. I am always amazed at the quality of work that he can do with the "away" tools, which are all benchtop or handheld models.

Thanks for all the replies.

Oh, a lot of the reviews say the Porter Cable's main shortcoming is the fence, which could stand improvement. He says he's not worried cause he knows a guy that can make parts to beef it up. Gee, I wonder who he means.

My experience with any of the small jointers is that the bed is just too short.

I've been a professional cabinetmaker for some 45 years, and I've never owned a jointer. That's Cool!

No kidding about the too short thing! Somewhere I have the PC’s granddaddy & it’s actually a bit shorter than the new plastic one. It has a detachable 3/4” fence & OAL prolly 7-8 inches & was MUCH more expensive than the new ones.

Also have a rockwell planer attachment meant to mount a small router with & then plug it into the planer body handle. That ones prolly 18” long with a 2” full length adjustable fence…

Good luck
Matt

No personal expereince , but from the appearance and knowing Makita makes solid stuff, the small Makita jointers look like a good fit. You can take the legs off I presume. Now finding one.. will take some time.

Back