What's new
What's new

Paint in moist environment question (OT?)

Bruce Griffing

Titanium
We have nice plantation shutters in our house. All are fine except the pair above the kitchen sink. Those I take down every couple of years and repaint (Benjamin Moore oil) because they start to peel a bit at the bottom. Is there a product that will withstand the environment next to the sink?

We have nice plantation shutters in our house. All are fine except the pair above the kitchen sink. Those I take down every couple of years and repaint (Benjamin Moore oil) because they start to peel a bit at the bottom. Is there a product that will withstand the environment next to the sink?

Seem contrarian, but latex paint might do yah better than oil.

One of its claims to fame when first invented was that the "mesh" the latex formed would stop a water-droplet transiting outside to in, but allow a water VAPOR molecule to transit, inside to out. "Breathe" rather than blister, IOW.

Next thought would be to do up a look-alike for the problematic set in metal or FRP, coat them accordingly.

FWIW-not-much, more than 20 years, my Pellas, one directly over each of two kitchen sinks, have remained sweet with nought but wotever oil or wax Pella shipped them infused with. On the inside, anyway - fake small-pane removable grids included. There's vinyl cladding on the outside.

A good Acrylic latex is likely the best choice. A total strip, dry, prime, and then finish would give the best chance of success. Ask in a Sherwin-Williams store.

Can you get away with 'semi-transparent stain'?
Or, go ask on woodenboat.com. But be prepared for them to tell you to let the wood dry out for 6 months before you paint. And they'll also use vocabulary you've never heard before, too.

Back