What's new
What's new

Performax (Jet) 22-44 Drum sander belt drive switch/controller

woodrim

Aluminum
I have a Performax 22-44 drum sander and the rheostat switch for the conveyor belt has died. It was wonky for a while, but now does not work at all. It always had a click for the on/off and now there is no click, suggesting it is stuck in the off position. The manual suggests the entire Sandsmart controller board needs to be replaced at a $350 price. Like hell. Has anyone replaced just the rheostat portion of the controller board? As an alternative, I'd be happy with just an on/off using a power converter and rheostat. Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Mike L.

get in there and remove the wires(bypass) the on-off function with a simple, suitable amperage, external toggle switch. If you leave it connected otherwise, (re-wire the rheostat leads through your new switch) you should be able to retain the rheostat function. I'm going to guess less that $15 for the toggle switch from radio-shack or we can get them at the local chain home-owner plumbing/electric supply, HEP sales.

PS -

I do think a simple toggle switch and simple re-wiring would get you going.

But if you would rather replace all and don't mind some adaptive machining (bracket making, pulley or cogbelt sizing and replacement); here is a reply I posted on the SB forum a few weeks ago about Consew Sewing machine motors. Go to the last post (#13) for my recent experience with the Consew "CSM1000" version.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-motor-322139/?highlight=sewing+machine+motor

Note that I do not like the brush type DC motor (Post #9). I do think the CSM1000 will have some applications around my shop for moderate/low torque feed and actuation motor duty with very positive controllable variable speed. For max torque on a sanding machine conveyor, it will probably need to be belted so it runs in the mid range or faster for normal feeding.

New Genuine Consew Servo Motor CSM1 for Industrial Sewing CS1 3 4HP | eBay

smt

I'm still wrestling with this issue... mostly because of the cost and I'm too cheap. I have just found something interesting. There is a Sandsmart controller for the 22-44 Pro 3-HP drum sander at 1/3 the cost. Of course Jet says it won't work in the 22-44 I have. However, I'm wondering if it is just a matter of the sensing of motor strain. Mine is a lower power, so the Sandsmart will control the belt speed based on what it thinks is a 3HP. I'm thinking of taking the gamble that it fits and works. Anyone ever think about this?

Yeah, I put a bid in on one at $12.65 and it was turned down.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to even determine which contacts on the circuit board to use in order to bypass the potentiometer. I'm looking at one of these to bypass the entire board and leave behind the "Smart".
4W AC 11V Singel phase Motor Speed Control Controller For DC -9V adjustable | eBay

So did you ever try the $12.95 toggle switch bypass, or are you saying that is what is too expensive?

smt

Your existing DC motor is most likely a 90 volt (armature)..it's powered with 120 volts. The larger drive for the 3HP sander is 180 volt (220v) and would not work on your machine. The Chinese unit you linked in your last post looks perfect..and cheap. For the price, I'd give it a try, bypass all you have now and connect the DC motor to the Chinese drive.

Stuart

What I was hoping to hear. Thanks. Going that way.

Your existing DC motor is most likely a 90 volt (armature)..it's powered with 120 volts. The larger drive for the 3HP sander is 180 volt (220v) and would not work on your machine. The Chinese unit you linked in your last post looks perfect..and cheap. For the price, I'd give it a try, bypass all you have now and connect the DC motor to the Chinese drive.

Stuart

(Hope this is still relevant)

Have had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me this week. The issue is with the switching part of the potentiometer (the black bottom part). I am planning to replace it, but I was able to very simply bypass the switching part of it. It did require basic soldering and an 1 inch wire suitable for 120v.

Here's how:
If you look at this picture: Potentiometer 24mm B25k 25k pot w/ 5A AC on/off Switch: Office Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific you'll see that there are 2 contacts that protrude from the black bottom. On the circuit board they are very easily visible right below the potentiometeron on other side of the circuit board.

To make it permanently ON, just connect them. That's what I did, since I am planning to replace the potentiometer. Or you can run them through a switch rated for 110v.

WARNING: if you are going to solder them closed like I did, make sure to UNPLUG the machine when not in use instead of just reducing the belt speed to 0.

I have a Performax 22-44 drum sander and the rheostat switch for the conveyor belt has died. It was wonky for a while, but now does not work at all. It always had a click for the on/off and now there is no click, suggesting it is stuck in the off position. The manual suggests the entire Sandsmart controller board needs to be replaced at a $350 price. Like hell. Has anyone replaced just the rheostat portion of the controller board? As an alternative, I'd be happy with just an on/off using a power converter and rheostat. Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Mike L.

I'm reviving an old thread for the next guy that has a failure of the conveyor control on a Jet 22-44 drum sander- KBWM-120, on off switch, speed control, transformer, in a nice box for $150 (with shipping and tax and all) . Plug and play and toss the old motherboard. When you order the KBWM-120, you have to get the resistor that matches the HP of the 1/30th HP motor- to plug into the control unit - that is part of the $150 as well. DON'T FORGET THE RESISTOR.

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_164908545_2.jpg
    IMG_20220803_164908545_2.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 12

Back