What's new
What's new

planer repair help needed

roadcracks

Plastic
I have a 15" planer made by King Industrial. For an inexpensive planer it has been reliable for 8 or so years. Probably planed about 20,000 linear feet of 2x6 and wider soft wood over the years.

PROBLEM: While moving it recently, it fell and broke the shaft that moves the head up or down ( sets the thickness to be planed). The break is just below the hand wheel.
I purchased a new shaft for about $60 and just want a bit of assistance from anyone who has done this type of repair before.

BACK GROUND: I'm not a professional or even a hobby wood worker but do use the planer several times a year. When it is used I plane a fair amount of wood in one shot, for framing buildings I am putting up, such as my garage, shop, cottage etc. Most of the wood is spruce or hemlock sawn from wood I cut in my own wood lot.
I am mechanically inclined but lack confidence at times.

Thanks for any help offered.
Regards Peter

How about a few pictures. shafts are usually made of steel and bend and don't break. But cast iron the holds shafts can break. So a few pictures would help us figure out how to fix it and what is broken. Is there a local welding shop or machine shop? Maybe someone there can help you in person.

Back