What's new
What's new

Please help identify my bandsaw

Jakemcmahon

Plastic
Hello I recently obtained a very large orange beast of a bandsaw from a workshop clearance and I have no idea what it is. It's 3 phase and has a dietz motor and the top wheel has the number ph602 on it but that's as much as is on there. I wondered if anyone might be able to tell the make.
Thanks so much

What diameter are the wheels. I do not see any switch to turn it on or off. What country was the motor and switch gear made. Pull a small screw or nut and see if it is metric or English threads.
I ddi not think Europe had bandsaws larger then about 20 inches. Are you saying this is a 36 inch(90cm) bandsaw or even bigger? I thought European trees were smaller and they did not need the bigger American sized saws.
The redwood sawmills at Scotia California, USA could handle trees up to 20 feet(6 meter) in diameter.
Bill D

Last edited:
Bill - there are plenty of Euro bandsaws in the 30 - 36" class. Partly because they were better at exporting than many US companies. Their saws often went to where big timber existed in Africa, Australia, and SA. Or to our American west. Maybe you didn't realize all that Stenner equipment (resaws, and saw band maintenance machinery) is Euro?

That aside, "narrow band" tilt table variety saws like the one posted by the OP went everywhere because they are used for sawing and resawing in cabinet and millwork shops. Originally large wheels were better due to less well developed steel for blades - it is just less likely to break on larger radius bends. After maybe the 19teens, it was about capacity to the back column for large worpieces, and the fact that a longer band lasts longer and cuts more freely (more time to dump the sawdust) than a short little band in a small saw.

I don't recognize the OP saw. it strikes me as middle European (like Czek/Poland/etc) or maybe an asian copy of a Euro saw. The table looks to be formed sheet metal?

Will be interested to hear a positive ID.

smt

What diameter are the wheels. I do not see any switch to turn it on or off. What country was the motor and switch gear made. Pull a small screw or nut and see if it is metric or English threads.
I ddi not think Europe had bandsaws larger then about 20 inches. Are you saying this is a 36 inch(90cm) bandsaw or even bigger? I thought European trees were smaller and they did not need the bigger American sized saws.
The redwood sawmills at Scotia California, USA could handle trees up to 20 feet(6 meter) in diameter.
Bill D

Certainly the likes of Stenner, White, Robinson etc made some very large saws for export.
However, basic equipment like frame saws and locally, double blade breaking down saws were preferred in the colonies for their robust simplicity and ability to deal with old growth tropical trees. Mill bandsaws were not well understood by bush sawdoctors and in many countries it required legislation to force bandsaws into use.

Guides look like Panhans

Back