What's new
What's new

Rewiring a router

rimcanyon

Diamond
I have a Hitachi m12V 3 1/4HP router that has bit the dust. The slow start/variable speed control evidently stopped working, and the part is no longer available from Hitachi.

My question is, can I rewire this router single speed (or possibly variable speed but no slow start), if I throw out the slow start/variable speed control? I can provide more specifics, like a description of the control wiring.

-Dave

The router will only run, but only at it's highest speed.

It would be good if you can identify any parts in the broken speed control and show pictures.

A external speed control can be connected to your router if you want to use it with variable speed.

Do you know anything about electronics and SCRs?

My electrical knowledge only goes so far. V/S control and soft start for routers is way beyond. I know that universal motors can have their speed controlled using a variac.

The V/S controller on the Hitachi M12V router has three wires coming in: one from the switch, one to the motor (both large gauge), and a very small gauge wire from the other switched 110V lead. The V/S control itself is a sealed unit - all the components are embedded in a layer of plastic, and it sits on top of the router armature with a built-in Hall sensor or something that detects RPM. So I disconnected the control wires and ran the motor lead directly to the switch, and now the router is running again, with a fixed speed. My main use of this router is for door and cabinet making, mostly dadoes and deep mortises with straight bits. So V/S and soft start are not features I will miss.

I borrowed a friend's large Makita 3612 plunge router for a couple of days while this one was out of operation, and I learned something useful from that. Hitachi and Makita plunge routers have completely interchangeable edge guides. Which also means that I can use a Makita or a Fenn SP6000K guide rail with the Hitachi router. I just ordered the SP6000K guide rail and the 194579 router adapter.

Running it at top speed is ok for the small diameter cutters. For larger bits you probably have to step the cuts, meaning multiple passes. Last I looked I thought the router looked like a plunger. Multiple slower speeds are better.

A external speed control is what I would use.

Running it at top speed is ok for the small diameter cutters. For larger bits you probably have to step the cuts, meaning multiple passes. Last I looked I thought the router looked like a plunger. Multiple slower speeds are better.

A external speed control is what I would use.

If I use larger bits, a speed control is a good idea. This particular router gets used mostly for chassis dadoes that are 3/4" x 3/8", and for tenon pockets in doors that are cut with a ½" x6" carbide straight bit. So full speed works fine.

Back