What's new
What's new

Small router bits for wood

DanielG

Stainless
I'm helping with a wood project, and I'd like to suggest some better cutters. We're currently using three cutters:

1/2" 4 flute ballnose with what looks like an AlTin coating. This cutter only does roughing.
1/4" 2 flute square end mill
3/64" 2 flute square end mill

Reading through past posts in this forum, I saw Onsrud and Centurion recommended. They both make 1/2" ball end and 1/4" square ends, but I didn't see anything small. Google found me some no-name bits on Amazon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

For the 1/4" and 3/64", they both do slotting. The 1/4" slot is ~5mm deep, and the 3/64" slot is ~2mm deep. Right now I'm slotting full depth and it seems to be working okay, but throws up a burr. The whole thing gets finished by hand, so the burr isn't a problem. My understanding is that slotting is easier with an upcut router, but a downcut router will give me a better finish. If I go to a downcut, how deep of steps can I take?

Materials are maple, spruce, and, on future projects, ebony, but we won't be using the 3/64" on the ebony.

Thanks,
Daniel

I am pretty sure that Onsrud makes smaller than 1/4" cutters, might have to actually call. Vortex does as well, Whiteside might. I have used all of these and had good luck. I have not used smaller than 1/4" very often.

Are you using them in a cnc or manual methods? I prefer a downcut/downshear when working with solid wood because it eliminates almost all of the chipping or blowout. Yes it is a good idea to make multiple cuts with a downshear, let it clean the slot out. You can blow air on it as well, but once you go more than 1XD deep it is better to just step it down in my experience.

You may also have to have a cutter made for you to get the size and results you want, 3/64" is getting pretty small for normal offerings in wood cutters.

How many rpm do you have available?

These folks have some excellent tiny bits - http://www.precisebits.com
I'd oontact them with your specific needs and they can recommend cutter for you.

I've also had good luck buying lightly used circuit board endmills from these guys, very sharp and very inexpensive - End mill,X-Carve,X Carve,Carbide drill bits,CNC tools, Micro Drill Bits,engraving bit,HSS Drill,router bit,Pin Vise,Model drils,Jewelry Bit,MOdel RailRoad,Model Airplane,Model Ship,Carburetor tuning,Carb Tuning,Jet Drill,X-Carve,X Carve tools bits
Note that if you are using the really tiny cutters you need to have very low runout for them to survive. And a very sensitive and steady feed if you are not using a cnc

Down spirals can work really well but you will need an air blast to force the chips out. I cut 5/16 phenolic all day long with a single flute Onsrud down spiral, 5 mm dia. 1st depth is to onion skin so maybe .020 from through, second pass frees the part. Coated end mills do nothing for you.
You can try compression spirals in larger diameters like 3/8 and 1/2. They need a minimum depth to work properly.
Hand fed or CNC makes a huge difference in cutter life and finish.

Back