What's new
What's new

Source of 5 inch flexible dust collection hose ? (for wood dust in this case)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Typically opaque "see thru" with metal spirals, common as a blond gum poppin red Camaro driver in 4 inch from the usual suspects, but seems like anything larger than 4 inch and the offerings slim out dramatically. Would be nice to have a 6 to 5 reducer pipe as well. So, who has this stuff (besides Felder) ?

Like this? #5136K27 .. they have many more types

McMaster-Carr
Interesting...looks like they have some that would do...except prices are painful. Oneida Air has what I need at $5.40 a foot....made in USA. But if someone knows of better quality hose than the Oneida at similar price I'm all eyes... .03" wall thickness

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=SCOLLECT8&CatId={418DE3CD-BD6F-4D57-8A56-44C817778904}

I have been happy with the hose I bought from Oneida. For blast gates I have replaced all my blast gates with these ones. Self-Cleaning Blast Gates - Lee Valley Tools The regular ones get tough to open and close from sawdust trapped in the slide and end up jammed. I have been using these for about 7 years and they all still work well.
Nice....do they sell those hose clamps with the built in thumb screw, separately ? Those would come in handy for my current moving the dust collector from machine to machine situation.

I have an Oneida Dust Gorilla system in the woodshop, and I love it. I made two additions to it: the laser sensor, to let me know when the bin was full, and the vacuum sensor to tell me when to blow out the filter.

Not cheap, but worth it. I got sick of forgetting to empty the collection barrel in time, which I would do on a regular basis. Then, when I finally noticed the machine wasn't drawing, I had to deal with sawdust all over the floor and backed up into the system. Since I put in the laser, I haven't screwed up once!

I have to say, though, those self-cleaning blast gates look mighty nice, especially for the table saw. I have to take that one apart and clean it every now and then.

I have an Oneida Dust Gorilla system in the woodshop, and I love it.

Second that! Had Oneida for about 7 years now.

Generally you want as much steel duct as possible to the machine (and preferably 6" dia.), and then choke the size down as close as possible to the port. The less reduction the better as Dust Collection works on "Volume" of air.

I bought a cyclone system from Penn State. Wanted to buy a 3hp system, but they sold me a 5hp system for the same price. Bought the whole system (6 inch metal ductwork, 4 inch flex hose, blast gates with micro-switches) from them. The system starts automatically when the blast gate is opened. Works like a champ. I use it only for wood dust. I do machine some aluminum on my cnc router, and I quit using the dust collector when I machine aluminum because I am concerned about fire being started in my wood dust. I have a 45 gallon metal garbage can that I use to collect the dust and chips. The lid seals very tight, no leakage. I used a 4 inch plastic toilet stool flange to attach the flex hose to the top of the garbage can. I also use the same 4 inch plastic toilet stool flange on my other woodworking machines to connect the flex hose to. I do a lot of fancy woodwork, and I buy my boards kiln dried, but unplaned. One inch lumber usually finishes up as one inch thick, rather than 3/4 inch thick. When I plane a batch of lumber, about half a days planing fills the metal garbage can. Then I empy the garbage can into a lawn size trash bag. Must be a big, hairy chested Oneida system that uses 5 inch plastic flex hose, probably for a commercial 4 head molder.

Lord Byron

The micro switch in the gates is nice. I just couldn't extend the cost any further. I got a remote switch with two binkers, one hanging by the table saw, and one centrally located.

I have a 30 gallon fiber can. I didn't have enough headroom to stick a larger one underneath. I put a contractors trash bag in the can. I got another accessory that sucks the trapped air out of the can, so the bag expands to full size. When the bag is filled up to about 3 inches from the top, the laser sensor sets off a red strobe. I pick the full bag out OD the bin, and toss it in the dumpster. Easy-peasy!

I have one of the thumb screw clamps and am not impressed. It does not have enough strength for suction hose. I have the 3hp dust Gorilla as well. I was not impressed with the suction system under the bags. The bags are a PITA to get out of the barrel once they are full. I built a plywood hopper that I hook bags on the bottom to which works all right but I have an other plan that I hope to build one of these days.

I have the 3hp dust Gorilla as well. I was not impressed with the suction system under the bags. The bags are a PITA to get out of the barrel once they are full. I built a plywood hopper that I hook bags on the bottom to which works all right but I have an other plan that I hope to build one of these days.
Perhaps I should wait for the Dust Duck Billed Platypus model to come out ;)

Back