What's new
What's new

Surface Grinder Planer Blade Sharpening

jmhoying

Hot Rolled
I built this jig for sharpening my 13" bandsaw blades. Welded it up and flattened it on the mill. First set I sharpened turned out great. Just had to hone off a bit of a burr and they were ready to go. I have it set up to sharpen my 6" jointer knives also. Grinding the knives at an angle worked good to control heat.

Welding up the jib
bladejig.jpg

bladejig1.jpg

bladejig2.jpg

bladejig3.jpg

Knives are best ground under flood coolant. I've burned a couple using the SG. A cup wheel is a good choice.

I made one at the last place I worked at. It was a piece of 2.5" square cast iron bar about 20" long. I milled a 3/8" wide slot in it at the correct angle about 1.5" deep. After that I just drilled a series of 1/4" tapped holes at 90 degrees to the slot for grub screws that trapped the blade. Easy if you have access to a milling machine.

The surface grinder I used had flood coolant.

Regards Tyrone.

Thanks for sharing. At some point I'll have to make a setup to grind my 16" jointer knives. I've done up to 12" knives in a "dummy" head held between centers on my Wadkin cutter grinder.

Looks good...I have done the same and with putting a slight roundness to the wheel to give a hollow grind on the blade..That makes touch-up with a hone easy. Yse with the hollow you dont cross.

I planned on making a jig for grinding my planer knives but decided to check and see how much a sharpening service would charge to do the job instead. It cost me 45 cents an inch x 12.5" x 2 blades. They got the job.

The sharpening shop owner also told me that you want the grind to be going perpendicular to the length of the knife. They use a cup wheel on a special grinder.

Looks good...I have done the same and with putting a slight roundness to the wheel to give a hollow grind on the blade..That makes touch-up with a hone easy. Yse with the hollow you dont cross.

Good tip regarding the hollow grind. I just used a large conventional surface grinder with the usual wheel. I had no complaints from the pattern shop guys.

Regards Tyrone.

QT: [It cost me 45 cents an inch x 12.5" x 2 blades. They got the job.]
I was charging .30 an inch a few year back and with a small order with delivering was loosing money for gas.
Grinding on a B&S 13 grinder altered to go 31 inches. Still have the machine but not use it often.
Using a cup wheel at slight angle for the hollow.

One blade, 3o x 6 x 3/4 inch, razor shap was a bugger to hand hold, or load on and off the machine with nor cutting a finger.

Back