What's new
What's new

Unisaw Belt Life

jmhoying

Hot Rolled
I was changing the blade on my 10" Unisaw the other day and a missing chunk of belt caught my eye. I rebuilt the saw in 2006, and apparently should of looked at the belts sooner. I have a new set on order.
P.S. I do use the saw daily in my cabinet business.

Unisawbelts.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Machinist Tools

Was the saw vibrating or not transmitting torque? Maybe I'm too cheap, but for just a 10" table saw (I have the same saw, but it doesn't get nearly the hours/ year yours does) I'd have kept using the belts until closer to total failure.

Regards,
L7

Was the saw vibrating or not transmitting torque? Maybe I'm too cheap, but for just a 10" table saw (I have the same saw, but it doesn't get nearly the hours/ year yours does) I'd have kept using the belts until closer to total failure.

Regards,
L7

The level of vibration isn't bad, but looking back, I do remember when it was quite a bit smoother running. When something like a vibration or a new noise in a machine slowly comes to a head over a 5 year period, you don't really pay a lot of attention to it. I'm looking forward to seeing what difference the new belts will make.

Jack

Looks a smallish sheave, you would do well to go to the cogged style belts, they transmit just as much power, but do so much better at bending around the sheave. they also shed dust and crap better.

I oftern see belts that have failed like that in the print world too, often times it does not down the machine either, yeah usually the operator comments about how much smoother - quieter it is post swap, but because its a gradual failure mode its nothing like as commonly noticed as you would expect even on a machine with a single belt grove - single belt. Multiple belts like that are always worse condition wise before it gets noticed too!

I agree, they are small sheaves for that weight of belt. I went with a multi-groove belt on my shaper and my old single belt table saw. I'm guess this new set of belts will outlast me using them as my full-time job, so if they don't vibrate, I'll just go with the old style (since they are paid for already)

Back