What's new
What's new

Wells and Sons No. 211 Lathe

davesaint

Plastic
So, this is my first post, so please be kind:)

I picked up a Wells and Sons, no 211 lathe. I need a new drive belt, and as the pics I've attached show, I need a belt that is 1 1/2" wide, but it does not specify a length. I know nothing about lathes and would love to get this monster working. So, if anyone point my in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 114
That looks like it will be a very cool machine.

You have a few options for a belt, you can do a leather flat belt and use clipper lacing to join the ends together, this would allow you to thread it in the spindle without taking it apart. There are some composite belts as well, combo of leather, rubber and other things if you don't want to source a leather one.

You can also use an automotive type serpentine belt, the larger equipment like tractors and big trucks etc use the wider belts. You will have to determine the length though and take the spindle apart to get the belt on.

I found a catalog from Gates that has all the dimensions of their belts and the cross reference to a part number so you can order one, I used it to figure out which belt I wanted on a wood shaper.

To figure length, you'll need to have it together and run a strap or a string in place of a belt and mark it where it comes together and measure how long it is. You will want to have the adjustments in the middle so you have enough travel to take up the slack when you get a belt. You may still want to order extra belts so you can get one bigger and one smaller than your target belt.

Hope that makes sense...

Measure and figure out the length and width you need. I have had McMaster-Car make up flat belts for my Davis & Wells shapers. I don't know what the material is but they have a permanent splice that is very smooth.

People also use an automotive serpentine belt and cut and lace it to fit. I have gotten them for free from the wrecking yard when they are cut. The south bend lathe book will have a section about how to lace a belt.
Some folks use a rubber link belt upside down.
I would think a modern synthetic rubber belt one inch wide or so would be as good as the old school leather one even if 50% narrower. Just do not get the bearings too tight as Babbitt does not like side loads.
Bill D.

Stitching a Flat Belt for Machinery - Wood Shop Mike

well, Dave,
welcome to the club.

I worked with the guy who posted this lathe, and he sold it to another co-worker, and I now have it.

Photo Index - F. E. Wells & Son Co. - pattern makers lathe | VintageMachinery.org

It is missing all of the shifting mechanism.
I can't tell you how the belt snakes around which pulleys, since I don't have any of them!

BUT,
I just bought this one...

Photo Index - F. E. Wells & Son Co. - Pattern Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

so I can reproduce the mechanism to make it whole, but, it is currently 2500 miles away!

A kind member from here has driven the 50 miles to pick it up for me (Thanks jake!!)and it is now in his hands.

Another friend, not from here, lives 130 miles from him and plans are for him to haul it to Texas in a few months, where I will meet him.

If you can wait until Fall, I'm sure I'd be able to measure the belt for you, but, meanwhile, look at the pictures and snake a belt in the same way as it shows to get a measurement.

Good Luck!

Mike

Back