What's new
What's new

wood lathe restoration project

jdfnnl

Plastic
I recently found this forum as I am currently trying to restore an old Delta wood lathe and could use some advice at its current state. When I picked up the lathe, the motor worked and everything seemed intact except for the belts. I considered using link belts to replace these worn v-belts, but instead opted to dismantle the headstock. The existing bearings came off the spindle without too much effort after which I worked on finding replacement bearings. The boxes do not specify their dimensions, though I was told they have identical ID and OD, while because one is a bit thinner, I was given a couple dished washers.

My reservations arise after noticing how snug the new bearings fit on the spindle. I can find a tube or pipe that just fits over the spindle and hammer the then on, but am sure they would not come off without being destroyed with a puller I do not have. In the meantime, I tried putting the spindle in the freezer overnight to lessen it's diameter, but the bearings were no less tight. I am reluctant to hammer the new bearings on remembering how the old ones came off by hand. Here are some pictures of how the project currently stands.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 183
So what numbers are on the old bearings?

Nominal bore on 5205 is 25mm or 0.9843". Torrington's service catalog states the tolerance is +.0000 / - .0004

To slip on spindle, such a spindle would have to be 0.9839 or less - or what ever matched the actual bearing bore less a little

If your spindle is larger, the old bearings are different than the new

My reservations arise after noticing how snug the new bearings fit on the spindle. I can find a tube or pipe that just fits over the spindle and hammer the then on, but am sure they would not come off without being destroyed with a puller I do not have. In the meantime, I tried putting the spindle in the freezer overnight to lessen it's diameter, but the bearings were no less tight. I am reluctant to hammer the new bearings on remembering how the old ones came off by hand. Here are some pictures of how the project currently stands.

Overnight is not necessary. A few hours is more than enough. If you are going with this freezer method then the bearing inner races have to be heated. You shouldn't throw them in a oven. Place the bearing inner race on a short length of pipe and the other end of the pipe on a flat piece of scrap steel which is laying on a electric burner. The short length of pipe will conduct the heat upwards to the inner race. Or use something like a cone. The bearing with the shield is no problem. The one with the rubber seal needs your attention, don't use a heat conductor (pipe) that is too fat so that it contacts the seal. Ten minutes at some medium heat level.

You should plan on pressing the bearing with a piece of pipe or something that only contacts the inner race. You will probably find that the fit is loose but then tightens up good. It's about a 1/2 thou fit. I have done this about a dozen times with no problems.

Your lathe is actually a "Delta" badged Walker Turner, probably from the mid-late 1950's, at about the time that Rockwell acquired Walker Turner.

Walker Turner was infamous for using off-standard bearing dimensions. Before proceeding with this, please take the time to get accurate measurements of the bearing seats on the spindle and of the bores of your replacement bearings. I think you'll find that the bearing seats are .995" for the right side double row bearing, and .993 for the left side bearing. And you'll find that your replacement bearings are 25mm = .9843", which absolutely will not work.

Assuming that I'm right about your spindle having the old Walker Turner dimensions, you can obtain new bearings from "Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC in Coventry, CY. Email wtsmllc @ juno.com

Back