What's new
What's new

McMaster-Carr catalogs,,,, AAAARHG! #*#*

I never realized how hard it was to get their catalog. Can't believe $96 on E-bay.

We get them all the time and I also have been tossing them away. Once I gave one to a auto parts place in town.

I won't E-bay them but in the future will offer them on the board to whoever wants them. Can't see profiting like that.

Paul A.

Hello, all. My apologies for posting in this ancient thread, but it was this thread that prompted me to sign up here, so that I could also comment on McMaster-Carr.

It appears I am in the same boat as many of you here, in that I am unable to get McMaster-Carr to send me a catalog. I have tried emailing them, and they told me that because they only print a certain number, they can't send me one (pure BS, but whatever), and to use their online catalog. I just sent them a reply saying that I prefer a print version for use on the shop floor, when I'm away from the computers and online access. Plus, I travel a lot.

I had no idea a company could be this full of itself, to the point where they would risk alienate potential future clients and profits, by selectively choosing who is "good enough" for their almighty holy book. It defies the most basic common business sense, plus the virtue of having a happy customer. Heck, even if I myself don't buy anything from their catalog, the fact is that I can show it to someone who will, and they would end up being a customer, via good word-of-mouth.

Anyway, I would like to get a copy of one of these catalogs, but no way on Earth am I gonna pay money for one on ebay... that's just obscene. If anyone here has a copy they are willing to part with, I'll be more than happy to pay them the cost of sending it to me for it. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

McMaster has the best website I have ever used. I couldn't care less if they never printed another catalog.

I think McMaster has somewhat of a right to be arrogant. How many other suppliers do you have that can sell you over 490,000 products that are almost always high quality, American made, and have it to you in less than 24 hours?

I can get anything from a blender to 2" HSS drill. Amazing.

I think McMaster has somewhat of a right to be arrogant.

I don't. Any company that builds a reputation by being so snobby and arrogant isn't worth much, IMO, and it actually greatly diminishes my view of them. If they want to select who they do business with, that's their issue, but it defies any semblance of good business sense, and the desire for profit.

At this point, I'm determined to get one of their catalogs just because they don't want me to have one. If I have to keep bugging them for years, I'll do it. I just want them to know there's one person out there who sees past all their hoity-toity nose-in-the-air BS, and won't put up with it.

Any company that builds a reputation by being so snobby and arrogant isn't worth much, IMO, and it actually greatly diminishes my view of them. If they want to select who they do business with, that's their issue, but it defies any semblance of good business sense, and the desire for profit.

Your posts seem to be filled with contradiction. If you don't like them, don't buy from them. The very fact that you are actively seeking their catalog shows that their model is working.

I think it make perfect sense to be picky about who you do business with, though I doubt that is really what you are experiencing.

Do you really need that catalog? We have one. I've never looked at it. I have the internet.

If that doesn't work, just call them and tell them what you want. They have real, live, english (and spanish) speaking people there. Tell them what you want. I bet top dollar that they have it, the price is reasonable, and you'll have it the next day. How can you complain about that?

Because as others in this thread have stated, I want the hard copy version. If we have a power failure during an ordering session online, the computers would be out, but the phone lines still work, and one can use the hard copy catalog to pick up where they left off, and phone the order in. Hard copy is always preferable to electronic media, IMO. I'm just that way. I don't have people apply for jobs online... I give out paper employment applications.

You're really committed.

I've received parts from suppliers packed using McMaster catalog pages as packaging materials.

Maybe you should send them a letter. Hard copy is always preferred to electronic media.

^

Yeah, I am. And I have sent them two emails already (waiting on a reply to the second), and I will try a paper letter next. I also plan to personally visit their facility (which is nearby), if that paper letter fails.

Do you really need that catalog? We have one. I've never looked at it. I have the internet.

This kind of invalidates your point that there's no need for the catalog, doesn't it? If you have one and have never looked at it, since you have the internet, why not part with it, then? The fact that you haven't implies that it has some value to you, that goes beyond their website. Just sayin'.

I buy a lot from McMaster and have spoke to them on the phone numerous times. They are always polite and friendly. I certainly don't think that they are arrogant or snobby, it costs a lot of money to print and send out catalogs. I also would like a catalog, who knows what they carry that you don't know about. You can return anything, no questions asked, no re-stocking fees, you don't find that type of service very often.

I don't. Any company that builds a reputation by being so snobby and arrogant isn't worth much, IMO, and it actually greatly diminishes my view of them. If they want to select who they do business with, that's their issue, but it defies any semblance of good business sense, and the desire for profit.

At this point, I'm determined to get one of their catalogs just because they don't want me to have one. If I have to keep bugging them for years, I'll do it. I just want them to know there's one person out there who sees past all their hoity-toity nose-in-the-air BS, and won't put up with it.

It's true that I've heard amazing things about their customer service, and if true, I'm sure their reputation is well-earned. But my position is that if as potential customer, they won't even honor my simple request for a catalog, which would make said potential customer happy, why would I want to send them money for a product, when I can get the same stuff from MCS or Grainger, who WILL gladly send me a catalog?

My point is that while I can get the same stuff from others, it is because of their fast shipping and service that I'd rather use them (McMaster-Carr). The truth of the matter is that there IS a lot of stuff I would be buying from them, because not only are they fast (and local), but they actually do have stuff I need. But if they won't even give me a catalog when I request one, where others will, it doesn't make good business sense to me. Why not create a happy customer, who will reward that effort with loyalty, and positive word-of-mouth, which could generate even more future potential business?

I sent off a third (reminder) email to McMaster, stating that I still want a print catalog sent to me. I intend to pursue this until I get one. I totally understand a business being frugal and conservative. But I also understand the power of both happy customers, word-of-mouth, and good advertising.

Look, I ain't lookin' to start an argument or confrontation with anyone here. I'm just voicing my frustrations about this catalog, and asking if anyone here would be willing to help me out, by parting with one they don't need, and I'll pay the postage. If I can get a brand-new one, awesome... that's why I'm emailing McMaster... I just refuse to pay money for a catalog on ebay... that's just ridiculous.

That's just the point... a customer shouldn't have to order a couple grand worth of merchandise, in order to see a catalog... that's like Chevy asking me to purchase a car, before they let me have a full vehicle line brochure. In fact, using the dealership analogy is quite apt here... automakers have websites where you can configure and build/order a car the way you want it. But how many people actually do that, as opposed to actually going down to the dealership, and picking a vehicle out in person? It's about choice. Like so many people have said here, you can find things you want sometimes just by flipping through the catalog that give you ideas for new projects, and that happens when you're away from the computer.

I got a reply from them again where they hold their line saying they won't send me one, citing how they want to become a "greener" company. Again, most auto sites have e-brochures for cars, but still let you get a print one for free. I replied, saying that if they cannot honor a simple catalog request, I will take my business dollars elsewhere. This company is like the Soup Nazi of industrial supply. I'll still find a way to get one of their catalogs... it's just a matter of when and how.

The website is one of the best reference tools out there. I use it daily and recommend it to others. Some time's the prices are high, but time is money. The paper catalog will come in handy in the event power grid fails. Toilet paper,napkins,spit balls for entertainment, currency........that paper will be worth the same as the greenback; nothing!!!....other than the use's I mentioned.

I appreciate and understand your point on this, you just want a simple catalog. BUT, MSC sends out catalogs, but have you ever tried to search and find an item on their site, it takes time, a lot of it. I've order more than a couple of grand from them and I don't have a catalog. Keep trying, but don't site yourself over this. It's just company policy. If I come to you and tell you I want an open account and don't want to fill out the paper work are you going to do this if this isn't your standard policy? They may really be trying to be green. But wait until you order 3 drill bits and a piece of 3' shrink tube and it comes in a box 16x20x12!

That's just the point... a customer shouldn't have to order a couple grand worth of merchandise, in order to see a catalog... that's like Chevy asking me to purchase a car, before they let me have a full vehicle line brochure. In fact, using the dealership analogy is quite apt here... automakers have websites where you can configure and build/order a car the way you want it. But how many people actually do that, as opposed to actually going down to the dealership, and picking a vehicle out in person? It's about choice. Like so many people have said here, you can find things you want sometimes just by flipping through the catalog that give you ideas for new projects, and that happens when you're away from the computer.

I got a reply from them again where they hold their line saying they won't send me one, citing how they want to become a "greener" company. Again, most auto sites have e-brochures for cars, but still let you get a print one for free. I replied, saying that if they cannot honor a simple catalog request, I will take my business dollars elsewhere. This company is like the Soup Nazi of industrial supply. I'll still find a way to get one of their catalogs... it's just a matter of when and how.

I appreciate and understand your point on this, you just want a simple catalog. BUT, MSC sends out catalogs, but have you ever tried to search and find an item on their site, it takes time, a lot of it. I've order more than a couple of grand from them and I don't have a catalog. Keep trying, but don't site yourself over this. It's just company policy. If I come to you and tell you I want an open account and don't want to fill out the paper work are you going to do this if this isn't your standard policy? They may really be trying to be green. But wait until you order 3 drill bits and a piece of 3' shrink tube and it comes in a box 16x20x12!

You make some good points, but in regards to the opening an account, yes, if you came to me and asked me that, sure I would do the paperwork for you, for three main reasons:

- It's a simple and quick thing

- It will make you happy

- It makes sense for me to do something that simple, to ensure a new and happy customer, who will be a source of income for me

I know about MSC's website, and I do have one of their catalogs, as well as one from Grainger, which by the way are both friggin' huge, in color, and free. Much easier to get, too.

Like I said, I am going to keep trying. I really would like to have their catalog, because I actually would do business with them if they sent me one.

^

Yeah, I am. And I have sent them two emails already (waiting on a reply to the second), and I will try a paper letter next. I also plan to personally visit their facility (which is nearby), if that paper letter fails.

When the visit to the facility fails you can stop by my shop which is about 4 miles from there & you can pick up an older copy that we have. I believe its a 115 or 116. I won't bother with mailing it out so don't even ask & btw have you seen the newest MSC catalog? If that isn't an eye sore then I don't know what is.

When the visit to the facility fails you can stop by my shop which is about 4 miles from there & you can pick up an older copy that we have. I believe its a 115 or 116. I won't bother with mailing it out so don't even ask & btw have you seen the newest MSC catalog? If that isn't an eye sore then I don't know what is.

Hey, thanks! PM me your shop address, and I'll stop by! Yeah, the MSC book isn't that pretty, lol.

Heck I feel spoiled now. We get a couple cases about twice a year. Been throwing the old ones away, bet that stops now :)
As I get my hands on new ones I will share the old ones I collect up.
KW

Back