What's new
What's new

Boley-Leinen LZ4SB restoration finished

sBs

Plastic
After more than a year spending time in the restoration of a Boley-Leinen LZ4SB lathe I finished it.
Below there is a picture of the end result.

I'm happy to share with you the restoration history together with a bunch of pictures that can be found in my blog . Any comments and questions are welcome :)

PD: unfortunately the oil leakage problem stated in this post remains to be solved.

P1050051.JPG

I

Congratulations on a job well done - she's a beauty. If you need a German manual, ask. I made a PDF.

I've lusted for one like that (or maybe an MLZ4S) for years. After I read about it on Lathes.
Tony praises it highly. I really wanted a newer one with the DIN55021 or 22 spindle nose (like camlock, but with threads)
And I got close, but no cigar.

Now I have ended up with a Colchester Chipmaster instead.
More or less same work envelope, so "if you don't get the one you love - love the one you've got".

Cheers
Erik

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the comments and for the manual offer. I got a manual copy from the kind people of FKW-Kilgenstein. The manual is also written in german which is not easy for me. Since the restoration I have spent some hours working with it and it is really enjoyable. I am sure however that the Chipmaster is also a wonderfull lathe too.

My best,

sbs

Congratulations on a job well done - she's a beauty. If you need a German manual, ask. I made a PDF.

I've lusted for one like that (or maybe an MLZ4S) for years. After I read about it on Lathes.
Tony praises it highly. I really wanted a newer one with the DIN55021 or 22 spindle nose (like camlock, but with threads)

More or less same work envelope, so "if you don't get the one you love - love the one you've got".

Cheers
Erik

Cheers
Erik
Hello sbs
Beautiful work on a superlative and exceptional machine.
Can only drool over it.

ERIK
......would say make good what U got, we still deciding, no move yet.
Where would one start ???
aRM

After more than a year spending time in the restoration of a Boley-Leinen LZ4SB lathe I finished it.
Below there is a picture of the end result.

I'm happy to share with you the restoration history together with a bunch of pictures that can be found in my blog . Any comments and questions are welcome :)

PD: unfortunately the oil leakage problem stated in this post remains to be solved.

P1050051.JPG

I
Dear friend, perfect job!
I've bought an older version of Boley/Leinen L4 and there is missing spindle axial bearing. Could you PLS provide me some details from your version?
THX
Libor

Dear friend, perfect job!
I've bought an older version of Boley/Leinen L4 and there is missing spindle axial bearing. Could you PLS provide me some details from your version?
THX
Libor

Dear Libor,

can you post a picture of the missing bearing please?

Thank you,

sBs

Boley Leinen

Dear Libor,

can you post a picture of the missing bearing please?

Thank you,

sBs

Dear Friend,
I wasn't here for a long time, so I'm answering so late. Finally I put axial bearing to the front part of the spindle, where it fits best.
Now I'm finishing support, you can see present stage on the photo.
BR
Libor

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,371
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,897
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,121