What's new
What's new

Dumbest *looking* machine tool ever ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
My vote ! There's a Bridgeport mill hidden in there somewhere...

moog2.jpg

It's just that copper tone paint.

If it was pale sky blue or a nice kelly green, with white pin stripes, that'd make ALL the difference.

Machine tools look 'dumb'?
Flip side, what's a 'smart' machine look like?

What's the difference, its got an 11 second chip-to-chip time....real rocket...

dk

Actually the Moog is orange but my cheap scanner altered the color a little. That Moog would look seriously doofus to me no matter what color it was.

FA, that's vaguely interesting, but the Moog was just plain old "orange" ;) Previous color scheme was "Bridgeport Gray"

Dunno why you guys are so obsessed with the color, when that didn't even enter into it when I picked this for the Dumb Design Award !

What year is that Moog ad? Early 70's? I have
seen carpet that color in houses back then,
the ad brings back memories.

Dualkit, 1969.

I also have Moog brochures as late as 1981. By '81 they sortened the name to 'MHP' (Moog Hydra-Point), and were using conventional ball screw and electronics like everyone else. They ever offered a horizontal machining center and a line of CNC turning centers. Two of the three turning centers appear to be rebadged Tawainese iron however. Still orange though !

I saw one of those MOOG mills get dropped while being loaded on to a truck. Underneath the very large fiberglass shroud (that disentegrated on impact with the truck bed) was a standard Bridgeport head. The shroud could have been 50% smaller and still covered the head.

I think it was same Mr Moog, different company if I recall, both in Buffalo NY. My Father made parts for the synthesier back in the early 70's, coincidently a company he bought in 77 made the keyboard cabinets for Moog. I may have this mixed up but I am pretty sure there was a connection

I worked at Moog about 6 years ago. The HydraPoint division was sold off to two employees who broke away and started servicing the old hydropoints. The company was across the street from Moog. A guy there told me the machine bases were cast in Italy. Moog was a nice place to work. I was in the motion simulator platform division, like as in flight simulators and multi axis gimbals. Some were used in the Spider man ride at Disneyland and also Body wars ride at Epcot center. They used huge electric linear actuators. I was a controls technition, I built the electronics panels for the gimbals and actuators. I also did some satelite circuit boards, as I was outer space solder certified. A cool place to work, and they really had a good quality work ethic, even if it takes longer, which I liked. They had robots that delivered parts from the stockroom. How neat is that!? I think Moog invented the hydraulic ServoValve.
--Doozer

Surplus, nope....the synthesizer Moog was Robert (Bob) Moog, who retired to Asheville, NC and just died a few years ago.

The Moog Company that made servo valves, and later the Hydropoint line of machines, was actually started way before the synthesizer was invented, back in 1951, by Bill and Art Moog.

I had to Google that to find the date of course. Moog is still in business.

www.moog.com/History

Hmmm, this is gonna be tricky. I'm getting certified to teach math, so let's put this in mathematical terms: D. Thomas, intersected with Marlo, Dave, and Clarence, would yield a pretty small subset.

{x: x is Donlo Daverence Thomas, producer of an internet website called Who's That Machinist?, which spotlights warm-hearted, nice-guy-looking shop rats who have named their shops after their daughters. (Think of the supply!) Square hamburgers, Pepsi cans needing to be wiped off, and lots of T&A jokes served up each episode.}

Back