What's new
What's new

Hurco Aquires Milltronics and Takumi

Ox

Diamond
Hurco Companies, Inc. (Nasdaq:HURC), a leader in the development and manufacture of machine tools with integrated control technologies for the worldwide metal cutting market, announced recently that, through a wholly-owned subsidiary, it acquired substantially all of the assets of U.S.-based Milltronics Manufacturing Company, Inc. d/b/a Milltronics CNC Machines (Milltronics). Founded in 1973, Milltronics designs and manufactures CNC knee mills, toolroom bed mills, vertical machining centers, combination lathes, slant-bed lathes, horizontal machining centers, and bed mills.
In addition, Hurco announced recently that its subsidiary Hurco Manufacturing Limited (Hurco Ltd.) entered into an agreement to acquire the business, technology, goodwill and operating assets of Takumi Machinery Co., Ltd., a Taiwanese company founded in 1988 (Takumi). Takumi designs and manufactures CNC vertical machining centers, double column machining centers, high speed bridge machines and other machine tools, with sales primarily in Taiwan, China and Europe. Subject to approval of the acquisition by the shareholders of Takumi at a meeting to be held before the end of July 2015, and to customary closing conditions, Hurco expects the closing of the acquisition to occur by the end of July 2015. Liberty Diversified International, Inc. (LDI) is the sole shareholder of Milltronics and the owner of approximately 98% of the outstanding shares of Takumi. LDI has agreed to cause the required Takumi shareholder approval to be obtained.
Mr. Gregory Volovic, President of Hurco, said:
“We believe these strategic acquisitions will significantly benefit global customers and Hurco. The Milltronics and Takumi machine tool brands are strong global brands for expansive machine tool product lines. Milltronics and Takumi have a combined customer base exceeding 18,000 installed machines throughout 30 countries. Hurco plans to continue to market the Hurco, Milltronics and Takumi branded machine tool products separately, given the distinguishing, unique values of each product line and brand. The Hurco, Milltronics and Takumi machine tool product lines should benefit from development of product enhancements, technologies and models due to the ability to leverage shared resources and cross-utilization of proven engineering designs. We believe these acquisitions will assist in our efforts to expand our global platform, particularly in strategic markets such as China and Latin America, and to achieve manufacturing cost reductions from economies of scale and manufacturing efficiencies.”
Mr. Volovic continued:
“Takumi and Milltronics machine tool products and end user markets are highly complementary to Hurco machine tool products and end user markets, in that approximately 60% of Milltronics and Takumi’s machine tool lines are unique, will expand our consolidated product range and customer base, and will accelerate emerging market penetration. For example, unlike Hurco and Milltronics machine tools, Takumi machines are equipped with industrial controls from Fanuc, Siemens, Mitsubishi or Heidenhain for high-volume manufacturing environments. The combined Hurco, Milltronics and Takumi businesses will represent one of the most comprehensive product portfolios in the machine tool industry, with more than 150 different models. We believe that these two acquisitions should be accretive to Hurco’s consolidated earnings in its 2016 fiscal year.”
Michael Doar, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Hurco Companies, Inc., stated:
“Since Hurco was founded in 1968, the cornerstone of the company has been its culture of innovation that focuses on consistent and continuous research and development. We are confident this culture will transfer to Milltronics and Takumi as they are both companies comprised of people who share our passion to advance the manufacturing industry through innovation. We look forward to working with Milltronics and Takumi employees and customers and sharing the success of our efforts with our shareholders.”

http://mfgtechupdate.com/2015/07/hurco-announces-acquisition-of-two-machine-tool-companies/

--------------------------

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOOT IT!
Ox

My Hurco sales rep came in today, and told me the same thing.
He said they plan to marry up some of Milltronics Iron (some 30/40/50" VMC's and some bed mills) with the Hurco control.
They would also be moving the manufacturing to Indy.... [shrug]

Doug.

My Hurco sales rep came in today, and told me the same thing.
He said they plan to marry up some of Milltronics Iron (some 30/40/50" VMC's and some bed mills) with the Hurco control.

Doug.

Any Milltronics unit that I have ever seen looked awfully light weight to me.
Shirley they're not as rigid as a Hurco eh?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Doug.

Like what "manufacturing" exactly?
If by that they mean Takumi's operation to the US, I might let the Hurco rep send me a sales brochure at some point.
"til then he can keep flying his kite.

Any Milltronics unit that I have ever seen looked awfully light weight to me.
Shirley they're not as rigid as a Hurco eh?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah Ox, the typical Milltronics VMC-s do appear much lighter than the garden variety Hurcos.
But, they do have some bigger bridge mills, and for what it's worth, the toolroom machines ( MB series ) is almost twice
as heavy as the equivalent Protocrap.

I've done some awfully mean things on my MB19, sounded like crap but she did do quite well actually.
Control is user hostile, but capable.

I have never ran a Milltronics but it would have to be better than the two VM-20's I bought. One year now and they still don't run right!

I have a Milltronics bridge mill parked 10 feet from me. It will do what a 40 taper machine will do...maybe a little more. Funny they bought them now, was torn between hurco and milltronics. I just hope the good guys at the milltronics plant dont feel orphaned.

Like what "manufacturing" exactly?
If by that they mean Takumi's operation to the US, I might let the Hurco rep send me a sales brochure at some point.
"til then he can keep flying his kite.

I was at their plant in Minnesota a few years ago, plenty of manufacturing going on there. Nice facility, good people, sounds like it will close, sorry to hear it. I have a ML20 lathe. It's the only cnc lathe I have owned, it has made me a lot of money for very little investment. For the most part it has been trouble free.

Yeah Ox, the typical Milltronics VMC-s do appear much lighter than the garden variety Hurcos.
But, they do have some bigger bridge mills, and for what it's worth, the toolroom machines ( MB series ) is almost twice

I've done some awfully mean things on my MB19, sounded like crap but she did do quite well actually.
Control is user hostile, but capable.

User hostile? That's news to me. The ones I have run simply worked and gave no back talk. I like 'em.

User hostile? That's news to me. The ones I have run simply worked and gave no back talk. I like 'em.

For a much better experience, try a Haas control. That one also just works, and unlike other controls, it tells you if you've screwed up before it ruins your part.
But I do agree, the Fanuck is far far worse than the Centurion in the UI department.

13 lousy million for the entire Milltronics thing. That is sad. This is what happens when you sell your company to an *investment group. Look at Giddings/lewis, thyssen krup, Fadal. Milltronics was family owned and there was talk that the family couldn't put the investment in to get it where it should have gone. My guess is they wanted out. So they sold it to an investment group who raised the prices past what I would call fair market value and then sold it for pennies when times weren't as good. 13 lousy million. ...geeeez. I think the building was worth 13 million.

The bridgemills are also much lighter than Hurco's existing ones. I'm having a pretty hard time seeing what Hurco are actually getting out of this deal. I know it was cheap but...

For a much better experience, try a Haas control. That one also just works, and unlike other controls, it tells you if you've screwed up before it ruins your part.
But I do agree, the Fanuck is far far worse than the Centurion in the UI department.

Got one. Its new. I dislike it. Too many safeguards. Example: Did you know you cannot (to my knowledge) run graphics on a program that exceeds the work coordinates? That, to me, is ridicuous.

Nothing BUT back talk from that one. It needs discipline.

Example: Did you know you cannot (to my knowledge) run graphics on a program that exceeds the work coordinates?

Born and raised in a Haas only job shop, and I am curious as to why you would want too. If the program exceeds the work coordinates, then it will not run and you will end up with an axis over alarm on any machine. I have frequently used that "feature" to see if a program will be able to run a particularly large mold that was near the limits of the machine.

Got one. Its new. I dislike it. Too many safeguards. Example: Did you know you cannot (to my knowledge) run graphics on a program that exceeds the work coordinates? That, to me, is ridicuous.

Nothing BUT back talk from that one. It needs discipline.

The alternative is a control that will happily ram into the limit switch, even when it should "know" that move exceeds the travel of the machine. I've never understood machines that won't at least throw a warning in graphics that the moves will exceed the travels, using the given offsets.

The alternative is a control that will happily ram into the limit switch, even when it should "know" that move exceeds the travel of the machine. I've never understood machines that won't at least throw a warning in graphics that the moves will exceed the travels, using the given offsets.

The only controls I've ever used that don't tell you at some point before it happens are Fanuc.

Back