What's new
What's new

CAM software/tool, similar to BobCAD V21 or lower

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, does anyone know of any CAM software out there which works similar to Bobcad V21 or all prior versions?

Basically, I am looking for a tool that allows me to import a set of DXF geometry and then tell it to cut the chain
from-to, and the result would be nothing but an immediate side-by-side output of the toolpath with absolutely nothing
other than the point-to-point geometry with the appropriate Gcode.
That's it.

What I am ( and have been ) doing is I draw my part ( solid or 2D ).
Then create a 2D drawing of the profiles I want to cut.
Then, take each profile and line-draw the exact toolpath I want the tool to follow
Then, export these toolpaths as DXF
Import it into Bobcad ( V17 and V21 )
Then in BobCAD I just put the origin where I want it to be and click cut-chain, pick the start point and the end point.

The result is an immediate output on the right side with nothing but the appropriate G-code and the coordinates.
That is all I want.
I then can take this output and edit it as I see fit ( add speeds, feeds, pauses, toolchanges etc ), all without any involvement
from the software.

If needed, perhaps I can create a video of exactly what I am looking for, but it is pretty plain vanilla.
Toolpath as DXF in, braindead G-code out.

I'd rather not discuss the exact reasons for why I'm at this now, but let's just say I've had it with the BobCAD licensing scheme...

( Was hoping that SketchNC from Scott ( NC-Plot guy ) gets developed further, but so far nothing in the last year or so. )

V 21,that's a few years ago.From V23 to V28 I could explain how to do it.
It would be a little more involved,but not much.
BoB won't support V 21 anymore ? meaning,they won't license for computer ?

if you want cheap...like FREE....try Pycam out ,used it a couple times over the years for simple stuff and some engraving, don't think they are still working on it but I believe you can still down load for free. Never did figure out how to modify the post so had to do some changes in notepad. DXF and STL import. Has a decent SIM and I think about a 5 simple page gui to reach the code output. Will also do basic 3d contours....nothing special tool paths.

jr, PM sent

ipmmiller
I don't need anything fancy. Need no post, no 3D, no "smarts" if you will.
Just fill in the blanks for the G code and figure out the I and J for the arcs based on the DXF.
That's all.
Will check Pycam out....

FWIW, I don't need "free" either, I just want it to work when I need it to.

Guys, does anyone know of any CAM software out there which works similar to Bobcad V21 or all prior versions?

Basically, I am looking for a tool that allows me to import a set of DXF geometry and then tell it to cut the chain
from-to, and the result would be nothing but an immediate side-by-side output of the toolpath with absolutely nothing
other than the point-to-point geometry with the appropriate Gcode.
That's it.

What I am ( and have been ) doing is I draw my part ( solid or 2D ).
Then create a 2D drawing of the profiles I want to cut.
Then, take each profile and line-draw the exact toolpath I want the tool to follow
Then, export these toolpaths as DXF
Import it into Bobcad ( V17 and V21 )
Then in BobCAD I just put the origin where I want it to be and click cut-chain, pick the start point and the end point.

The result is an immediate output on the right side with nothing but the appropriate G-code and the coordinates.
That is all I want.
I then can take this output and edit it as I see fit ( add speeds, feeds, pauses, toolchanges etc ), all without any involvement
from the software.

If needed, perhaps I can create a video of exactly what I am looking for, but it is pretty plain vanilla.
Toolpath as DXF in, braindead G-code out.

I'd rather not discuss the exact reasons for why I'm at this now, but let's just say I've had it with the BobCAD licensing scheme...

( Was hoping that SketchNC from Scott ( NC-Plot guy ) gets developed further, but so far nothing in the last year or so. )

If you don't mind the price I am sure SmartCAM CNC could do it. They refer to their product as tool path modeling. If you import a dxf, you can group and chain what you want then change the geometry from a layer to a CAM step and tell it offset left, right or none and then post it. I have used the software for 20 years and the nice thing is if you ever needed it to do more it has auto tool path generation also.

If you don't mind the price I am sure SmartCAM CNC could do it. They refer to their product as tool path modeling. If you import a dxf, you can group and chain what you want then change the geometry from a layer to a CAM step and tell it offset left, right or none and then post it. I have used the software for 20 years and the nice thing is if you ever needed it to do more it has auto tool path generation also.

What's SmartCAM cost these days anyway?

Guys

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately none of the above has the side-by-side on the fly creation.
Realistically, I wouldn't even call it "CAM" software, rather just a simple "connect the dots and add the Gxx word" tool.

The early Bobcad versions were exactly just that. Once I've stripped virtually everything from the post processor, all I have to do is
click the start and end of the chain, and the result is placed immediately in the CAM window.
No speeds, feeds. No Z ramp values, approach, retract ... nada.
As long as the entities are properly connected and trimmed, ( I do that in AutoCAD ) the result is virtually immediate, regardless of complexity.

As a matter of fact, the only thing I've left in the post processor is the swapping of Y to 2X and the swap from X to Z for turning toolpaths.
Otherwise it's dumb as a stump.

Hu
Yes, it is a nothing but a dumbed down engraving toolpath.
I actually tried to strip everything from a FeatureCAM post to do exactly that.
It sorta works, but just as most other CAM packages, the code is in the background and does not show until "posted"
Eons ago I wrote an AutoLISP program inside ACAD to do exactly this.
That too also worked to a point, but once I've seen BobCAD (V17), it made no sense to try to develop it further as Bob was
much more capable right out of the gate.

Can't any cam software do this? It's basically an engraving toolpath.

3 different tool paths
2D Engrave,,3D Engrave,,and Profile w/no comp.In all the examples,,the use of Contours will give more "control" of the final tool path.
I think he also was a CAD solution too.I can think of many ways,,,but they are a little more involved than what he has explained.

What's SmartCAM cost these days anyway?

I don't know what the fabrication product sells for. I have lathe and mill and I am thinking $2400-$3000 each. But don't remember exactly. They run an add in Modern Machine Shop and list the price there sometimes.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the reference to SmartCAM. If you'd like to compare functionality and price, then why not contact our sales guys on [email protected]. We don't bite :-) We'll help you if we can.

Take a good look at SmartCAM on our website SmartCAMcnc or our youtube pages

Good Luck.
Regards,
Terry
SmartCAMcnc International Business

Might want to look at Sheetcam, it's about as easy and plain as you can get. You can tell it inside, outside or no offset and you get a path around whatever you want very easily. You get z values if you input the info when setting up the operation, but you could always just leave that at 0 if you want.

It's a free download and will run up to about 300 lines of code for a trial, if you like it and want the unlimited version it's about $180. Won't do any 3D but for all my "normal" work it kicks butt and is fast.

Back