What's new
What's new

Drum switch wiring

guitarpro1324

Plastic
Hey everyone I had just recently bought a machine and the spindle switch would only go in one direction so I bought a drum switch hoping for a quick resolution. It's a single phase motor and I bought a 3 phase drum on accident. After a few hours of jotting down possible wiring solutions I've basically decided that I need to go ahead and get the single phase. What is stumping me is the lack of wiring diagrams on this particular lathe. The wires from the motor go into the panel and I can't tell exactly where they go, plus the wires to the original switch are different colors than those of the motor wires. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

deleted reference to machine... see guidelines for reason..... leaving thread as it is potentially useful.

a 3 phase switch usually will work. I assume this is 230V.

Gan you get the info from the motor nameplate, or a pic of just the nameplate?

Also, how many wires go into the motor itself?

deleted reference to machine... see guidelines for reason..... leaving thread as it is potentially useful.

a 3 phase switch usually will work. I assume this is 230V.

Gan you get the info from the motor nameplate, or a pic of just the nameplate?

Also, how many wires go into the motor itself?
90833cebca2a36f2ee0f34eaaf5ee97b.jpg

6b190440ee1c90c95e7884bb30f1b63f.jpg

61118d8fdf82b1d185acbbfa8231e31e.jpg

4f2d91ceb3fb57e3782c8010146b8b11.jpg

4 wires from the motor go into the board on the lathe. The wires with the white sheath are the wires that went to the original switch.

OK. That can be done with the usual 3 phase type drum switch. I can do up a diagram, but don't have time now.

The key part is the wiring diagram on the motor label, and the notation saying that you reverse the motor by interchanging the red and black wires.

Your switch should have one contact that is "open" in the middle position, but connected in either of the other two. It will also have two contacts that are open in the middle position , but connected one way when to the right, and reversed when to the left. That will do the trick.

OK. That can be done with the usual 3 phase type drum switch. I can do up a diagram, but don't have time now.

The key part is the wiring diagram on the motor label, and the notation saying that you reverse the motor by interchanging the red and black wires.

Your switch should have one contact that is "open" in the middle position, but connected in either of the other two. It will also have two contacts that are open in the middle position , but connected one way when to the right, and reversed when to the left. That will do the trick.
That would be awesome and well appreciated. One problem I ran into was not being able to check the continuity from the wires leading into the board from the motor to the original spindle switch wires. Once they go into that panel I'm lost as to finding what color wire goes to what.

412eb8f288cae920f4febc1a96b40f22.jpg

d93c72abb64acb4223b4111d44fe8aa9.jpg

Here is the pictures of the old switch and how it was wired. In the picture where you see the brown wire the blue wire was originally on the terminal directly to the right of the brown. I believe this was a single phase switch.

Back