What's new
What's new

Understanding Mazatrol T2 conversational

GP Tech

Cast Iron
Hi,
I have the T2 mazatrol primer manual and it runs through how to program a basic part. But it doesn't cover setting up the chuck and tooling.

I think I have the tooling setup worked out (but will welcome any advise on tooling) but I can't work out the chuck setup. I'm using a collet chuck and on chuck data it only shows the jaws for a normal chuck.

And when I run simulate or trace it doesn't include the tool offset for some reason, although it is in the program.

This screen shot shows the left hand vertical redline on the z but as you can see the tool is about 5mm away from the face of the collet chuck.

So I need to know where I put the offsets in for the collet chuck.
Thanks.
IMG_20160810_165326741.jpgIMG_20160810_165353139.jpg

After a bit of searching it looks like the chuck needs to be setup in the parameters but I can't find which parameters to change so the NC knows what my chuck dimensions are.

Are they the B## parameters? There are 2 columns for the B parameters.

I'll keep searching.

Just found this http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-parameter-questions-inch-metric-more-214785/
from wippin' boy
-z limit (fom home to chuck)........B4
+z limit (from home to back end)...B2

after changing you need to cycle power to save

Last edited:
I just cut my first part, I asked for 24mm on the OD I'm measuring.

One thing that isn't working is the AUTO feeds and speeds, is there a parameter I need to set for the NC to calculate this?
Thanks.
IMG_20160811_152111.jpg

Feeds and speeds is not parameters.
I dont know the English word in the menu since mine is in Swedish but it should be something like cutting-data.

Here you have the parameters:
http://hagstromsystems.se/_Files/T2Paramters.zip

Thanks, would you know how to connect a PC so I can DNC posts from Fusion360?
On the Data in/out I have 3 choices but only the CMT softkey does anything, the TAPE and DNC softkeys do nothing.

Thanks, would you know how to connect a PC so I can DNC posts from Fusion360?
On the Data in/out I have 3 choices but only the CMT softkey does anything, the TAPE and DNC softkeys do nothing.

Do you have 1 or 2 serial ports on that machine and how are they marked?
Does the machine has the optional eia/iso language aswell? (When you create a new program can you select between eia/iso or Mazatrol?

I think Fusion 360 will output eia/iso and in my opinion that is not the way to go with a Mazak.

Do you have 1 or 2 serial ports on that machine and how are they marked?

There are 2 ports on the side of the box that houses the screen that also has the power socket, I'm not at the workshop so I can't say for certain what is marked on them, but from memory one is marked RS232 /TAPE

I changed parameter A20 from 0 to 1 as suggested here DNC software. CNC and DNC settings for Mazak - T2.

All the other parameters were same as listed, but it made no change to the softkeys working.
IMG_20160602_153630688_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
No, softkey has no check if cable is connected or not.
Do you know if Fusion will send eia/iso or Mazatrol? (I think eia/iso)

Maybe the tape and DNC functions was optional and not installed on your machine.

Just checked a photo I have of the DIAGNOSIS screen and there is no yellow box next to the blue EIA and DNC labels, so I guess that means I don't have that option.
Just to add the fusion post outputs EIA
IMG_20160629_164409593.jpg

Seems right, if I understand correct this is what I think.
Tape = punch tape (used for eia/iso) and you dont have that option
CMT = Cassette Media Tape
DNC = I dont know what this is used for and you dont have that option.

Fusion 360 will output eia/iso so you cant use that for programing.

If you want a low budget option I suggest the following.
Do all the progaming on the machine, its quick and easy as soon as you understand Mazatrol.
There is a limit of 16 programs stored so use MazView to store programs on a PC, it will emulate a Cassette Recorder and is easy to use.
MazView can only be used to store and view programs. (The viewing of programs have some limitations in T-2)
(Demoversion of MazView is available)

The cable between NC and PC is really simple:
Dsub9(PC) Dsub25(NC)
2 - 2
3 - 3
5 - 7

I just cut my first part, I asked for 24mm on the OD I'm measuring.

One thing that isn't working is the AUTO feeds and speeds, is there a parameter I need to set for the NC to calculate this?
Thanks.
View attachment 177842
Auto feed and speeds are set on your cutting conditions page. You can set them based on a percentage of a given value. For example- If you set your baseline feed rate at .02 ipr, and you set the value of ,say, Aluminum at 200%, your feed rate will be .04 ipr if you choose Aluminum as your material on the first line of your program. Clear as mud? Play around with it a bit. It is fairly intuitive once you grasp the basics. You can add different materials and their machinability (percentage of baseline) as you see fit.

I think you've just hit on one of the biggest draw back of older Mazak machines. If they didn't have the EIA option, you can't drip feed or send programs written offline (unless you get a very expensive bit of software that'll write mazatrol offline.)

This is one thing that has me considering getting something either more modern or less Mazak.

The programming on the controller IS really easy for most things once you get the hang of it, and I can program and make simple parts in very little time.

However most parts i make i'm drawing in CAD anyway, and being from an IT background i'm quite quick at that kind of stuff, so i could probably throw together a tool path and post it as quick as i could do it in mazatrol.

I've also run into a few problems where mazatrol just wouldn't do what i wanted and needed to be lied to quite a bit.

Thanks Gobo, it all makes sense when you know where to look.
I didn't know where the work point zero and chuck barriers were setup and it wasn't obvious that it was on the program page but the video xa-mont put up showed this.

The previous owner told me it was connected and programmed with the cable, he probably didn't know.

I reckon it is probably a single EPROM chip that needs to be changed to give the EIA/DNC option but what that chip is???
And once we know that we could make copies by burning new ones.

With the availability of Fusion360 it does make less sense to program with conversational even though Mazatrol is very good.

Just found this thread from a couple of years ago saying that it works with older Mazak controllers.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/handheld-dnc-usb-device-older-mazatrol-controls-284654/

Last edited:

Back