What's new
What's new

The official Magnetic Brake thread

Another question about this brake: Can the 48" Baileigh bend a full 48" length of 16ga mild steel, straight and crisp?

I am interested in one...

One more question! When bending a full 48" piece of 16 gage, I imagine at least two people must be involved? I don't see big counterweights like a normal brake uses, so I bet it takes serious pulling power to bend full width?

One more question! When bending a full 48" piece of 16 gage, I imagine at least two people must be involved? I don't see big counterweights like a normal brake uses, so I bet it takes serious pulling power to bend full width?

It honestly depends on the guy running the machine. I'm a big guy and can do it, but on a regular basis it would kill my back. So, yes without the counter weights, a smaller guy would struggle full width

Are there any disadvantages to the magnetic brake in comparison to traditional bow and pan brake? If you you could choose only from peoples experience would you rather have the magnetic brake or a traditional box and pan?

First of all its a brake, not a shear. Yes there are some disadvantages to the mag break....but for 90% of our customers who have them, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.

The mage break is just one big math problem. The machine generates 6 tons of downward force...so....if what your bending requires more than 6 tons to clamp it down, you will need a traditional break.

You can do full enclosures, radius bending with an unlimited box depth..... if your into sheet metal, those alone should be sexy features.

Shane

I realize it is a break, got to love auto correct. I work at a aviation maintenance shop and we have the need to produce a lot of one off parts, that we normally farm out, and are looking to add a break to our tool selection. In the case of the downward force does that struggle with larger pieces of material?
We normally work with .0025-.0045 material.

The mag brake can handle 16 gauge mild steel full width on all sizes as long as you have at least 3/4" sticking out.

Now if you search #magneticbrake on Instagram, you will see literally a thousand different applications from all over the world. We have one guy in Florida bending 1/8" chromolly tabs for drag cars with it. (not necessarily recommended but fabricators are fabricators...we get it)

I personally have done 16 gauge aluminum diamond plate that was 2 feet wide, but I had to use the 4 foot bar so the magnet had more material to grab.

If you are prototyping in the aviation industry....I promise if you used it one time, you would only use a conventional brake in the future if you absolutely had to. The mag brake is seriously life changing. I use mine every single day in my own shop to do radius bending that would be impossible with any other machine.

Shane

The ultimate box and pan brake from Mittler is a great machine. I used to sell them when I was at Trick Tools. Still held hostage by a 3.5" box depth tho and no radius bending or full enclosures.....but extremely well made. I can't say anything bad about any of their products. Good guys and good products.

We took the 18 gauge 110volt version and improved upon it. Beefed it up over 3 revisions of the components. The earlier ones had a few failures, the second version was better...but the 3rd revision of the mag brake that we have been running with is seriously bullet proof (greasy sales pitch) but you get the point

Shane

Reading through the manual for the brake it regards the specific power requirements for the machine and talks about a power transformer that is recommended. How much do they usually run ?

Reading through the manual for the brake it regards the specific power requirements for the machine and talks about a power transformer that is recommended. How much do they usually run ?

Yeah we had a ton of guys with dirty voltage in there shop that were wreaking havoc on the machines, the buck boosters solved the problem. You dont need one if your voltage is within 5% of 220, 209v to 231v......but if you do need one to clean your voltage up they are $325

Shane

Back