What's new
What's new

Making a pivot hinge

Zip

Aluminum
If I wanted to take two pieces of aluminum stock approx 1" wide, 6" long and 1/8" thick how could I join them on one end and still have a high quality hinge (and low profile)? Looking at an old caliper it appears to have a pressed button hinge and after all these years is still tight and precision like new:-)

Have any ideas to make a similar hinge without a heavy press?

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 185
If I wanted to take two pieces of aluminum stock approx 1" wide, 6" long and 1/8" thick how could I join them on one end and still have a high quality hinge (and low profile)? Looking at an old caliper it appears to have a pressed button hinge and after all these years is still tight and precision like new:-)

Have any ideas to make a similar hinge without a heavy press?

Take the caliper apart and look. They are not that hard, at least not the calipers from Starrett and the like. I don't recall if I needed an arbor press, but it was nothing like pressing ball bearings in and out.They also have patents one can read for a clue on disassembly.

But the caliper's approach will probably not work if one uses aluminum.

What are you trying to build?

Do you have a lathe?
Any number of ways to do the job from a machine screw tapped in the plate to a nesting post and flange arrangement out of brass, delrin etc.

A simple hinge in the plate thickness leaves one side plain while the other is bored and beveled ‘out’.
A disk of plate thickness with the same bevel is set in and secured to other side with three or four small countersunk machine screws.
Rotation is on bevel.
Or-
Step in plate/disk to achieve same thing.
Or-
‘Button’ slightly proud of surface to get rotation on perpendicular bore, or add bushing on bore, etc etc.

This need to resist corrosion- articulate endlessly, how much load, direction of load?
Do you need to maintain some friction so the pieces will stay at any given angle or free to rotate?
Have a need to stop rotation at some angle?

Edit- buy a common rivet or sex bolt made in a million types for just this sort of job...?

A neodymium magnet inside a cup on one side. The movement would always be tight. The cups on both sides are magnetic. Might work for smaller magnets.

I've made any number of this kind of thing (usually smaller) with a simple rivet and a Belleville spring washer on each side.
Great idea!

I came here, again, to suggest an o-ring in a groove for friction but I like the belleville much better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Great ideas! In the meantime I learned that this type of hinge is called a "straight knife hinge". Thanks again.

Back