What's new
What's new

OT - never waste a pandemic/recession?

Strange the govt says masks are useless,but doctors are complaining they dont have enough masks to guard them......
Masks on the masses are supposed to keep their coughing and sneezing from infecting you. Or slow it down, anyway.

Masks on hospital people should fit properly and be properly worn and all that bs and still probably don't help all that much, not like the full body suits, but if it makes hospital people happy, I can go with that.

I figure they don't present it that way because if you told people "wear a mask to keep others from getting sick" no one would do it. But tell them it keeps them from getting sick and there's a mad dash to the drug store.

Whatever works :)

Shopping today ,lots of Chinese around here all wearing facemasks and gloves ,rest of the shoppers have zero precaution ....I was wearing work gloves ,all my paper masks are so old the elastic has perished .....nevertheless ,with cases doubling every day now ,I wont be taking that risk again...Strange the govt says masks are useless,but doctors are complaining they dont have enough masks to guard them......Just maybe the government is lying.

Or just maybe those doctors are going face to face with highly infectious patients, which is why they shield their eyes as well as their nose and mouth. If people are truly practicing social distancing and anyone who is sick with a respiratory illness wears a mask or better yet stays home there should be little risk.

I was in a local food market yesterday and they only allowed 25 people in the store at one time with an employee on duty at the door to ensure compliance. They had temporary markings outside the store and inside at the registers to guide people in proper spacing. The vast majority had neither masks nor gloves and the store offered wipes to use on shopping cart handles, etc. if people desired.

...Strange the govt says masks are useless,but doctors are complaining they dont have enough masks to guard them......Just maybe the government is lying.
Yep. They are lying, but the reason is they don't want people hoarding masks when the front line health care workers need them more.

It pisses me off, just tell people the truth- but I guess some would freak out and hoard N95 masks. I told my mom don't go out in public spaces without a scarf wrapped around her face. She's 85 and on infusion, the last thing she needs is this damn bug.

It's called Personal Protective Equipment because it protects the person wearing it...duh. :confused:

That right there is a tough trade off.
Limit Joe public use (hoarding?) which might aid in slowing transmission to protect supplies for care workers who will be overwhelmed perhaps by the high case load.

Rock and a hard place eh.

Yep. They are lying, but the reason is they don't want people hoarding masks when the front line health care workers need them more.

It's called Personal Protective Equipment because it protects the person wearing it...

Yeah, I am not amused by that bit of wordplay.

Granted doctors need to be up close and personal, so they need them more, and walking around with a mask all day for no reason is useless, but that is not the same as saying they serve no purpose

That right there is a tough trade off.
Limit Joe public use (hoarding?) which might aid in slowing transmission to protect supplies for care workers who will be overwhelmed perhaps by the high case load.

Rock and a hard place eh.
I don't think there is any conflict. Tell people this: If you are in a high-risk group, do not go into public spaces without covering your face. A scarf or bandana is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all, people can make their own.

There are many volunteer groups are sewing bed sheets into masks for the hospitals. If they weren't useful, the hospitals would not be asking for them.

Save the commercial products for the health care people, and use home made masks for regular civvies.

I don't think there is any conflict. Tell people this: If you are in a high-risk group, do not go into public spaces without covering your face. A scarf or bandana is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all, people can make their own.

There are many volunteer groups are sewing bed sheets into masks for the hospitals. If they weren't useful, the hospitals would not be asking for them.

One use for cloth masks is to cover the N95 masks, extending their life. The cloth can be washed and sterilized if they choose to.

"I don't think there is any conflict."

Yes- if a different dialogue had been taken such as the one you present there would not be a conflict.
As it stands there is a conflict.

But perhaps a silly discussion on my part- I know damn well a mask provides protection.
I also know damn well that the docs need them more acutely than Joe public in any equation if there is a supply problem.

I have a vulnerable person at home- I go out with a N95 mask to keep that person out of the hospital.
That is along Scotts line of reasoning- case by case is probably best approach if folk keep their heads.

State governors have ordered lockdowns without consulting the orange ones dream of a disease free easter.Seems serious restriction of movement with substantial penalties is the only way to get thru to much of the population ,especially those in the under 30 age group.

State governors have ordered lockdowns without consulting the orange ones dream of a disease free easter.Seems serious restriction of movement with substantial penalties is the only way to get thru to much of the population ,especially those in the under 30 age group.

While I agree with travel restrictions to a point...
Easy call to make from Australia on the "Orange one" aint it, mate?

The government in Victoria, Australia, reacted to the surge in firearm “permit to acquire” applications by shutting down gun sales altogether during the coronavirus crisis.

The Daily Mail reports that Police Minister Lisa Neville and the National Cabinet decided to halt gun purchases after permit applications “doubled.”

Neville and the cabinet fear that more guns will lead to more crime if tensions rise during the coronavirus crisis. Neville said, “We’re responding to an increase in demand for firearms and ammunition across the country by doing what we can to protect licensed firearm owners and dealers as well as the broader community.”

9News reports that Neville also saw a surge in ammunition purchases “almost doubling as well.” She said, “We need to keep that ammunition … for our police, our security guards, those … who need a gun for their work.”

I think there needs to be a vaccine for severe cases of TDS and large mouth carp.

The Daily Mail reports that Police Minister Lisa Neville and the National Cabinet decided to halt gun purchases after permit applications “doubled.”

They can not actually work out a reason why guns and ammunition sales need to be restricted in some states that seem to have a particular political leaning. I have heard lots of bullshit reasons from domestic violence (yet alcohol is a major contributor to that yet it freely available) to all manner of other crimes.

It is easy to work out though. In a few weeks if not sooner the population will be sick to death of being stuck indoors. Given 80% of the population will only get mild to no symptoms many people will be feeling fine and dandy but are stuck inside, something they are not used to. The restrictions on firearm and ammunition sales is for this reason. Civil disobedience.

I think most people have not yet worked out the ramifications of what they are heading towards, should no treatment or vaccine be forthcoming. If none is coming I predict countries like the US and Sweden where it will run rampant, will end up economically better off then other countries like New Zealand who have taken a stamp it out stance.

Reason being countries where it runs rampant will get over it quicker, while countries where it isn't spreading fast due to effective social isolating will be stuck in isolation with very few working and a destroyed economy until a treatment or cure is found.

It is a gamble either way that is for sure. But government's never seem to worry when sending lots of young men to their death when it is war. Once they are dead, given a short amount of time people get over it and move on.

My comment would be if you wait for a pandemic to buy a gun ,you are a dipstick ,or a poser ....Anyway ,no effect on me ,and in any case ,all the ranges are closed ,and you arent allowed to go out....However this doesnt apply to groups of teens ,who are making nuisances of themselves with schools closed......On a different tack ,Melbourne wharfies have blacked a shipment of desperately needed medical supplies ,and are demanding "danger money " on top of their $250,000 a year paychecks .....these guys are last true Commies ,so they claim ,but might as well be rich waiting for the revolution.

It is easy to work out though. In a few weeks if not sooner the population will be sick to death of being stuck indoors. Given 80% of the population will only get mild to no symptoms many people will be feeling fine and dandy but are stuck inside, something they are not used to. The restrictions on firearm and ammunition sales is for this reason. Civil disobedience.

Except I and most people I know who shoot & don't live in cities have adequate reserves of ammo anyway - I could go maybe 5 years shooting kangaroos et al for food before I ran out of bullets. Then I could reload more centrefire rounds - got lots of lead left over from ballasting the boat.

Keeping more guns & ammo out of the hands of the suburban warriors in times like this is just fine with me. Not like they can pop an animal for dinner out the window as I can.

WRT the 'let her rip' versus the slow burn approach, guess we'll see. Lot more people 60+ going to die in the first scenario. If you're sufficiently long-sighted, this may be considered a good thing, it would certainly bring the pension and elder care costs down significantly going forward.

PDW

Seems Brazil is taking the hands off ,que sera,sera approach ...so the model can be tested......Incidentally I went shopping before .....and the Chinese are all gone !....gone ! as in none ,not a single one ...last week Chinese in masks and gloves all over ,today ,none.......and not a single person wearing gloves and mask .....not quite ,there was me ....yet there are 10 times as many local cases. A really old guy says to ,and I quote "If I was afraid of dying ,I wouldnt have got so old"....something to ponder,maybe .Anyhoo ,tomorrow Im gonna go over my other yard,wear a high vis shirt etc ,reckon the cops will leave me alone.Maybe play with the dragline ,or maybe even spray the long grass ...we'll see.

It has been mentioned that the government is providing free corona testing and no republicans are complaining about socialized healthcare and trying to remove funding.
How is the Chineese health care system. Are all those sick folks in the hospital covered by a government program like in Europe.
i do wonder how paid sick leave for self quaretine will affect the concept of paid maternity leave for new mothers and fathers.
Bil lD

"Free" There's a 2 trillion dollar debt that just passed to pay for all that "free" stuff. A few more trillion on the way.

Back