What's new
What's new

Titans of CNC Kennametal Promotions

So how do these features improve the endmill's life and ability to remove more material? Just wondering

On the KOR5 aluminum, it has 5 flutes, which translates to shallower flute gullets and thus a much beefier core. Not good for slotting as youll pack the chips into the flutes, but good for up to 40% stepovers probs. It also has the chip splitters, but they are designed in such a way that while they do chip splitting, they also leave a good finish so that you could theoretically rough and finish with the same tool (i dont usually).

Another feature of the Harvi 1 TE is the twisted face, so that the lips of each cutting edge arent in a straight line, they are curved in such a way as to provide a stronger edge. Or so says Kennametal. Someone mentioned the faceted relief which in theory reduces harmonics, and I am inclined to agree with some of the YT vidoes kennametal has posted. The thing can do full slotting at a ramp angle of 45 degrees which is ridiculous. There are flute "gashes" behind each flute which supposedly helps with chip evacuation. Again, inclined to agree.

None of these features are things that another company couldn't/isn't dong but IDK if you can buy one for this cheap.

I wasn't overly impressed with Kennametal's Harvi 1 RE. On the subject of aluminum, I'd put GWS Alumigator up against anyone at the same price. Core Cutter end mills for steel all day. Core Cutter owner used to work for Helical and his end mills are superior to Helical.

Ill have to check out the alumigator tools, ive read about them but never gotten any. If you say theyre better than Helical, that is a solid benchmark

Ill have to check out the alumigator tools, ive read about them but never gotten any. If you say theyre better than Helical, that is a solid benchmark

Something I forgot to chime in about from the beginning of this thread. We use Helical tools for finishing, but their 3 flute aluminum roughers are garbage. Easily the worst aluminum specific rougher I have used. Your benchmark should be something standard like the Destiny Diamondback, which still continues to be one of the best performing solid roughers.

We always buy garr endmills. They aren't the greatest thing in the world but for the price they are a good deal. If we have a job where we need the higher performance, we buy the gorilla mill yeti, phenom, or baboon.

I can't speak for the Destiny end mills in aluminum, but the alumigator I can. We ran one roughing and finishing for 2 weeks on 1st shift in 6061 aluminum (profiling) and we finally changed it because it was getting slightly dull. They were designed by Benchmark which was bought by GW Schultz but Benchmark still makes them. They are dirt cheap too ($33ish for 1/2x1.25 3fl zrn I think). I had a buddy running helical brand and I got him to try them and he was blown away at how much better they were. Benchmark makes/made end mills for Accupro fwiw. I'm not a fan of GWS' steel end mills although they are dirt cheap and might serve well on certain jobs.

Now if anyone on here would try Core Cutter out, they might fall in love. The owner used to work at helical but left when Harvey bought them. Their end mills are top notch and affordable. It's the only end mill I could get to hold up slotting 316 stainless and they blew Niagara sts430.2 away milling ar500 plate.

I can't speak for the Destiny end mills in aluminum, but the alumigator I can. We ran one roughing and finishing for 2 weeks on 1st shift in 6061 aluminum (profiling) and we finally changed it because it was getting slightly dull. They were designed by Benchmark which was bought by GW Schultz but Benchmark still makes them. They are dirt cheap too ($33ish for 1/2x1.25 3fl zrn I think). I had a buddy running helical brand and I got him to try them and he was blown away at how much better they were. Benchmark makes/made end mills for Accupro fwiw. I'm not a fan of GWS' steel end mills although they are dirt cheap and might serve well on certain jobs.

Now if anyone on here would try Core Cutter out, they might fall in love. The owner used to work at helical but left when Harvey bought them. Their end mills are top notch and affordable. It's the only end mill I could get to hold up slotting 316 stainless and they blew Niagara sts430.2 away milling ar500 plate.

You have 2 posts and in both of them you're promoting the hell out of that company like it's the best thing since indoor shitters.

Something I forgot to chime in about from the beginning of this thread. We use Helical tools for finishing, but their 3 flute aluminum roughers are garbage. Easily the worst aluminum specific rougher I have used. Your benchmark should be something standard like the Destiny Diamondback, which still continues to be one of the best performing solid roughers.

Goddamn those are some fighting words, which, by the way is just patently FALSE. IDK what tools youre using for roughing from Helical...but you must be doing something wrong. Their H40ALV-3 line of corner rad EMs perform quite well for both roughing and finishing applications. Maybe it isn't on the level of Diamonback but calling them the worst end mills of all time makes you sound like a moron, because they patently are not the worst roughers of all time.

I find their reduced neck line of AL roughers to perform stellar, zero chatter and reasonable surface quality.

On the other hand the Viper and DB do look like fantastic end mills.It is worth bearing in mind that their pricing is almost double Helical prices for 1/2x1/2x1 1/4 end mills.

You have 2 posts and in both of them you're promoting the hell out of that company like it's the best thing since indoor shitters.
I was waiting on someone to call me out. I mostly lurk and don't really care if you or anyone else wants to try a different end mill manufacturer out. I'm always looking for something better. That company is less than 2 years old and I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer. If a product performs well then I think it's a good thing to share that.

Goddamn those are some fighting words, which, by the way is just patently FALSE. IDK what tools youre using for roughing from Helical...but you must be doing something wrong. Their H40ALV-3 line of corner rad EMs perform quite well for both roughing and finishing applications. Maybe it isn't on the level of Diamonback but calling them the worst end mills of all time makes you sound like a moron, because they patently are not the worst roughers of all time.

I find their reduced neck line of AL roughers to perform stellar, zero chatter and reasonable surface quality.

On the other hand the Viper and DB do look like fantastic end mills.It is worth bearing in mind that their pricing is almost double Helical prices for 1/2x1/2x1 1/4 end mills.
Accupro worked better than helical in aluminum for me. I still use them for certain things but aluminum isn't one of them. I just feel like Helical went down hill after Harvey bought them. To each his own.

Back