What's new
What's new

OT- We stand a lot; how many have vein problems?

I do, started 35 years ago, left leg only, I attributed it to 20 years on a concrete floor. As a woodworker there was no reason I had to remain on concrete, so wood floors became a requirement for all subsequent shop spaces.

I never felt the need for treatment, only causes occasional pain, and now at age 75, appearance is irrelevant.

Sorry I couldn't offer a treatment suggestion Conrad.

Had a bunch done both lower legs (though Medicare is very limited in just what procedures they will help you with). Never could get them to get serious on footsies which are just terrible - at least to look at

Beware of such silliness as "oh those discolorations will go away after awhile". Simply was BS so far. I'll be 82 shortly

The general goal is to kill off veins causing the varicose problems - and such procedures are almost always ultrasonic guided

I had one very scary episode of unannounced copious bleeding which prompted me to get started - a flood of red in the shower is not a good way to start the day

No answers; but yes standing on concrete is a bad thing, not necessarily destined to cause varicose veins.

I spent time in Asia, noticed they don't have the same circulatory issues we do. Doctors tell me most of our vein problems are caused by diet, weight and lack of exercise.

That standing is a secondary cause is easily evidenced by observing women who don't spend days on concrete floors have more problems with varicose veins than do men.

jack vines

I've also heard the Japanese enjoy a stomach cancer rate that is 47 times that of the American. They attribute that to their love of eating raw fish.

But really....while diet and exercise are important...it's also just as plausible to attribute the lack of varicose veins in Asians to a variety of other factors. Genetics is a big one. Much like people who have ancestry in the darker-skin-toned parts of the African content are much more prone to sickle cell anemia, maybe Asians are less prone to vein problems.

I'm hardly sticking up for being a fat ass, though. I saw on Family Feud the other day a family....all were under 35 years old, and all 5 men and women were easily 75lbs+ overweight. Probably more like 100lbs. I'd like to see anyone who uses dope, booze, or is obese be denied any form of public assistance. If they can't help themselves on the most basic level, why should I help them?

Much like people who have ancestry in the darker-skin-toned parts of the African content are much more prone to sickle cell anemia,

fun fact and even more off topic, but the current theory behind that is that being heterozygous(one normal copy of a haemoglobin gene, one disfunctional) for sickle cell disease protects against malaria, so the presence of malaria provides a selective pressure for higher rates of SCD in African populations where malaria is endemic. An African American student in one of my classes has SCD, bloody painful disease.

Had a vein dissected out of my left leg, sacrosomthing, surprising how much your leg swells after, oddly the vein was varicose in places so that’s one way to rid of them!, I don’t recommend it btw, my sister had them too, she got hers stretched out somehow, seemed better after mine never caused pain though
Mark

To draw a good conclusion, you need opposing experiences. Been in the shop for 45 years, but I also jogged 20 years ago. After I bought the ranch back then and quit jogging, I have worn out about 10 pairs of outside boots. No vein problems for myself. Maybe it is all the miles walking when not working in the shop or maybe I just have good genes. No clues as to what will help if it is not mixing in some walking.

I've always considered jogging to be the singularly worst exercise....there are far better ways to get cardio exercise without all the abuse on the joints.

But....it again goes back to genetics. Some people can jog their whole lives and never have an issue. Other people have bad knees and hips and never jog a bit.

The miracle of the human body is that it works at all. When you consider the complexity and number of systems all at work, it's a wonder anyone can do anything. The heart is probably the most impressive of all as it never rests for 80 or 90 or 100 years, if you're lucky.

It's also tiresome to hear people reach a certain age - 45+ usually - who begin to bitch about health problems that they brought on themselves. They eat gravy and sugar and are a regular at Cracker Barrel for 3 decades then it starts to sink in that maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Of course, they seek medicines and operations and alternative remedies - anything but losing weight and eating better.

This is not specifically about varicose veins but vein problems in general. My ankles and feet would swell up after standing to where I couldn't get my shoes back on if I took them off. I went to a vascular surgeon and he told me that there are little valves in your veins that keep your blood from pooling in your feet. They did an ultrasound and found out that one of the veins had gone tits up. There are I think four major veins that carry the blood back up to your heart. They "killed" the offending vein with a laser (painless) and after about a month the other veins heard the call and took over. It worked quite well and I do not have to wear the dreaded compression socks. I would almost rather have my nuts air nailed to the floor then wear those damn things.

Sorry for anyone suffering, bad veins is one of the few things I never had. Probably because most jobs I had there was a lot of alteration between sitting and standing. Only leg problems I have is occasional gout foot and bad knees.
Fortunately I am self employed with the shop close to the house. I have a couple CNCs, and if I have a long patch of manual work I will break it up, taking lots of sit down breaks. Like right now. It might elongate the work day but it is easier on the old rickety body.

It's also tiresome to hear people reach a certain age - 45+ usually - who begin to bitch about health problems that they brought on themselves. They eat gravy and sugar and are a regular at Cracker Barrel for 3 decades then it starts to sink in that maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Of course, they seek medicines and operations and alternative remedies - anything but losing weight and eating better.

Just turned 62...switched to Keto 3 days after Thanksgiving. So after 3 weeks, down 12 pounds. blood sugar is much lower and closer to "under 100". Joint pain/ Gout much diminished. Much less hungry, and just don't miss sugar and carbs. I'm surprised at the level of response so early on.
I guess once you stop ingesting the slow acting poison the body heals pretty quickly. Probably until it doesn't....like with age affected, major health issues, etc. I did quit soda and all sugary drinks about 7 years ago as well.

Last edited:
I have always built wooden planks to stand on where I worked. They had a lot of spring to them. My own shop doesn't have enough room to make a platform that will flex. I did buy some horse mats from Tractor Supply for about $35 years ago. Cut them in 4 pieces with a Sawzall. They work pretty good, and I have a few stools to sit on.
We had a guy named Barry that had real bad veins in his legs. He ended up having to wear knee-high support hose. He would burn up in the summertime.

That would me! I'm really starting to feel it. Mostly self imposed issues. Complain so much I get sick of hearing it myself! :crazy:
Contrary to your stereotype, I know why, and own it 100%. And I know how to fix. And I have the best support system in the world (the wifey).
But, I drop the ball all the time. The wife on the other hand? Holy crap is she killing it! Down well over 120lbs. And fit as a fiddle.
Typical female though, I don't know the exact number, LOL. I know what she weighs now. She is proud as punch of that! But I will never know where she started.
Long journey, she has been at it for years. Her dedication is un-real. And she is definitely winning the battle.
I am immensely proud of her! And shameful at the same time. I'm playing way outside my league. She is freaking HOT! :eek: I'm a fat slob. I need to take it more serious.

Just turned 62...switched to Keto 3 days after Thanksgiving. So after 3 weeks, down 12 pounds. blood sugar is much lower and closer to "under 100". Joint pain/ Gout much diminished. Much less hungry, and just don't miss sugar and carbs. I'm surprised at the level of response so early on.
I guess once you stop ingesting the slow acting poison the body heals pretty quickly. Probably until it doesn't....like with age affected, major health issues, etc. I did quit soda and all sugary drinks about 7 years ago as well.

Yep, I am a believer in a "keto" diet. Did it pretty serious a couple times now. It definitely changes your body/systems. All the times I have actually gotten in to ketosis for any length of time, I have always felt drastically better and had way more energy. And the pounds just melt off. Just last week: the wife had some glass jars on the counter full of stuff for decoration. One had beans, one had pasta, one had rice, you get it. Well, she isn't one to be wasteful, so she cooked up the rice and has been feeding pretty big portions to me in my meals. Holy crap! Every time I eat a big helping of rice, it just about puts me to sleep! Same with taters, but not as extreme. And after a couple days of all this rice, I noticed my lower legs/feet start getting a little fuzzy feeling (feel like they are sleeping) if I sit too long. Not good! And I blame the rice. Carbs are definitely the enemy! And therein lies my biggest problem: I like beer!

But the sleepy/fuzzy legs/feet bring me on topic. I have some veins in my right ankle (my bad ankle) that are starting to look pretty bad. Not quite vericose, But, definitely not normal either. I know mine is a circulation issue. Because, I have poor circulation in my right foot because of my jacked up leg. I also have a very nasty big toe-nail because of it. The thing is, when I am on the ball with the diet and exercise, those veins don't look as bad. The inflammation is also much less severe. If you really pay attention to your body, and try different diets for long enough to make the observations, it is pretty amazing really the effects diet has.
And by diet I don't mean "go on a diet", I mean what you consume for fuel.

Back