What's new
What's new

OT: Radial Aircraft Engine Cutaway Pics

For a time (1980's) there was an Italian 3 cylinder 2-stroke radial for paraplanes.
Strapped onto your back.

But it's the sound, 8 tf33s makes a lasting impression. Just the sound alone of a flyover can be a deterrent.
One of my regrets is never hearing a B36 overhead.
the-worlds-largest-combat-airplane-the-convair-grb36d-heavy-bomber-a-picture-id612584952

In the early 1950s, they were based at Geiger Field/Fairchild AFB in Spokane, WA. The greatest generation said if there was an early morning takeoff, no one would get any more sleep that day.

jack vines

One of my regrets is never hearing a B36 overhead.

Who knows, maybe you just DIDN’T hear the nuke-powered B-36 when it crossed over your head[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

The fact that we even considered a reactor-powered aircraft boggles my mind.

Be safe

Jeremy

Could be wrong but as I remember, there was one guy who was really really good and did most of them ... are you remembering the 300SLR one too ? Sports Car Illustrated maybe ?

My brother-in-law does these things for shows.
He just did the new vette motor and now released he could show me pics.
Being all secret and stuff they had to put walls around it and could only take so many parts out of the room at once for cutting.
Now he is working a battery pack.
With covid killing the in person shows the demand is way down.

These are so cool and the ones that move better. The first I ever saw was a 409 chevy that GM donated to my school.
How to decide what and where to section is just the start. This is art.
Bob

Then there's the Gnome...which had a fixed crankshaft and the rest of the engine rotated....

Also LeRhone, same rotary scheme. Apparently many ww2 german fighters were retrofit with those in ww1 as the mean time between overhauls was 2 or 3 times any other ww1 motor, and the power to weight was favorable.

At Rheinbeck they used to start those motors up near the audience, with them real juiced up, so when they lit off there would be a giant cloud of cator oil smoke engulfing the spectators!

He's talking about Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, Cole Palin's collection.
I have not been in decades but saw one of the shows in the mid 70's (when cole was still alive and doing some of the flying) As Jim said they started some up near the crowd. During the show, they'd taxi right up to the rope, swivel away from the crowd, and let off the kill button a few blasts.

they really knew how to keep those things flying, and how to put on a show.

smt

He's talking about Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, Cole Palin's collection.
I have not been in decades but saw one of the shows in the mid 70's (when cole was still alive and doing some of the flying) As Jim said they started some up near the crowd. During the show, they'd taxi right up to the rope, swivel away from the crowd, and let off the kill button a few blasts.

they really knew how to keep those things flying, and how to put on a show.

smt

Palen and others at ORA like King and Fox may have had more rotary engine time than even the most famous WW1 fliers combined. Torque from the rotaries and no brakes was real obvious watching at Rhinebeck...wingwalkers on the ground almost a necessity.

I've lost track of the website but some years ago there were some guys with enough time/money to kill that they reproduced one (or more) of the rotary engines.

There were plenty of racing cars made with surplus aircraft engines after WWII....I've seen ads where you could buy a new left over V-12 Merlin for cheap.

Edit: Here it is... Oberursel 110hp UR.II Engine Build | The Vintage Aviator

It's getting away from Radial/Rotary engine discussion, but designs by Hispano-Suiza in WW1 persisted and continued development into WWII.

If there's a link to earlier discussions it might include things like one-piece cylinder/head castings and some of the mfg techniques required.

I've lost track of the website but some years ago there were some guys with enough time/money to kill that they reproduced one (or more) of the rotary engines.

There were plenty of racing cars made with surplus aircraft engines after WWII....I've seen ads where you could buy a new left over V-12 Merlin for cheap.

Edit: Here it is... Oberursel 110hp UR.II Engine Build | The Vintage Aviator

"GNOME Monosoupape Rotary Engine"

Add quantity desired to shopping cart $62,000.00 GNOME Monosoupape Rotary Engine - KipAero

We were helping a man repair a lerhone rotary that he was actually going to fly - crazy. It had originally been an iceboat engine. And kodos for catching the time-travel typo, those were ww ONE german planes that often flew with LeRhone motors! More reliable than the typical german motors of the day - not to mention more so than the gnomes.

I saw Palin do the 'drunk farmer in the piper J2' thing, funny as hell.

Back