What's new
What's new

Transferring hardware & software?

cnczack

Aluminum
Currently we have 9 machines and we have an archaic set up currently. We have from PC to a 6 port switch box to individual RJ245 cable to each machine going back into an RS232 port. We have 9 machines, one is currently not set up and communicating, 1 uses floppy (urgh) & one is actually a brand new fanuc 30 series with wireless capabilities which IT is not willing to set up because of "SECUIRTY RISK". So we are just using a flash drive currently.

I have explored shopfloor (years ago) and the idea of going completely wireless. As of right now it is still just an idea as the price was higher and IT worrying about SECURITY risk (lol). So for the time being I would like to explore other ways using our current wire setup to stay wired but have more space for all of our machines and more. We actually have 2 more new machines coming that haven't arrived yet that will be using the same archaic set up. So im looking at about 11+ ports. I am extremely open to using wireless and any alternative means. As it looks now this is only a temp fix because we are looking at buying more machines as the years come.

How does everyone on here send and receive programs?

I know there are a lot of shops that have older machines & newer ones mixed so Id love to hear how programs are transferred elsewhere.

IT is not willing to set up because of "SECUIRTY RISK".

That's a B.S. excuse. They're either too lazy or incompetent to set it up without it being a risk.
Some of our machines we just run back and forth with a usb stick or an SD card, while on our newer machines they are on the network (wired) and pull directly from my programs folder.

Kind of hard to update old RS232 stuff.

If you have a laptop with wifi and a working serial to RS232 you can transfer stuff to the laptop and then walk it over to the machine.

Maybe several of them
If they are all Windows 10 you should be able to get them so you can transfer via wifi to the laptop from the office.
Although I have never gotten really useful workgroup connectivity in windows, at least not that stays that way

Do any of the controls have Windows based components? I heard of a night shift guy watching inappropriate content on a networked Windows based control. It got a virus, and had to be completely wiped and reinstalled.

Do any of the controls have Windows based components? I heard of a night shift guy watching inappropriate content on a networked Windows based control. It got a virus, and had to be completely wiped and reinstalled.

lol only one but you cant access the windows part very easily. Someone would have to be really dumb to access it and then go on any websites given the location of the machine in the shop.

Aren't the machines bolted solidly to the floor ?

Why would you need wireless ?

Cat 5 or something else can be quickly wired to each machine, IT should not have a security
problem with that.

So we have 7 Mills and two Lathes. All hard wired. We use to fumble with the rotary switches. But we went to a digi port serial card. Installs In the PC and has 8 ports, one for each machine. I think you can get them up to 16 ports. We use Predator Editor and you just pick the machine from a drop down list and send or receive. Works for us and no rotary switches. You can also find them on Ebay. Worth a look.

Low-profile multiport serial adapter cards | Digi International

These would work for you. But you'd need two If you need more than 8 ports and a PC with two open PCI slots. There are more modern solutions from DIGI, but more expensive check out there website.

Digi 77000707 w/cable AccelePort Xp PCI 8-port w/ DB-25 cable (16 Available) | eBay

We have a mix of old and new machines. We tried wireless, not a good experience, partially due to trying to save money on equipment. now we have work stations throughout the shop and use flash drives to load programs. We even got the old floppy to load with the flash drive. It has been working great.

So we have 7 Mills and two Lathes. All hard wired. We use to fumble with the rotary switches. But we went to a digi port serial card. Installs In the PC and has 8 ports, one for each machine. I think you can get them up to 16 ports. We use Predator Editor and you just pick the machine from a drop down list and send or receive. Works for us and no rotary switches. You can also find them on Ebay. Worth a look.

Low-profile multiport serial adapter cards | Digi International

These would work for you. But you'd need two If you need more than 8 ports and a PC with two open PCI slots. There are more modern solutions from DIGI, but more expensive check out there website.

Digi 77000707 w/cable AccelePort Xp PCI 8-port w/ DB-25 cable (16 Available) | eBay

How is yours set up? Would i take this and install it into the pc, then connect a cord to an 8 port rj45? something like this Just a moment...

How is yours set up? Would i take this and install it into the pc, then connect a cord to an 8 port rj45? something like this Just a moment...

Ok, here's how It's setup. Sounds like you're already hard wired. So you've got the hardest part of the Job done already IMO. It doesn't require anything fancy on the PC end. We are running an old Win ME machine that resides on the shop floor. Networked so guys on the floor can access all the part programs for any customer right from that PC. and We have DNC'd as well with this setup with no Issues.

So I have a spare card and cable. Here's a pic of It.
KIMG0077.jpg

Goes Into your PC and plugs Into a free PCI slot. Just like you would Install a network card or video card or whatever. Then the cable plugs into the card. As you can see there are 8 DB9 pigtails, our other cables are DB25 so you can get either. Each one goes to the cable from a machine.The newer versions use a crossover cable. RJ45 TO DB25. I Imagine you can get RJ45 to DB9 as well If you prefer.

As I mentioned we are running Predator Editor. So once you have the card Installed you go Into Predator in our case and you can setup a template for each machine.
KIMG0078.jpg

Then you setup the properties for each machine. Com port #,Baud rate,Parity etc.
KIMG0074.jpg

Now you have a drop down list of all your machines. Pic the one you want and send or receive.
KIMG0073.jpg

Here's what It looks like In the device manager of the PC.
KIMG0079.jpg

Easily done for under $1,000

Ok, here's how It's setup. Sounds like you're already hard wired. So you've got the hardest part of the Job done already IMO. It doesn't require anything fancy on the PC end. We are running an old Win ME machine that resides on the shop floor. Networked so guys on the floor can access all the part programs for any customer right from that PC. and We have DNC'd as well with this setup with no Issues.

So I have a spare card and cable. Here's a pic of It.
View attachment 338709

Goes Into your PC and plugs Into a free PCI slot. Just like you would Install a network card or video card or whatever. Then the cable plugs into the card. As you can see there are 8 DB9 pigtails, our other cables are DB25 so you can get either. Each one goes to the cable from a machine.The newer versions use a crossover cable. RJ45 TO DB25. I Imagine you can get RJ45 to DB9 as well If you prefer.

As I mentioned we are running Predator Editor. So once you have the card Installed you go Into Predator in our case and you can setup a template for each machine.
View attachment 338710

Then you setup the properties for each machine. Com port #,Baud rate,Parity etc.
View attachment 338711

Now you have a drop down list of all your machines. Pic the one you want and send or receive.
View attachment 338712

Here's what It looks like In the device manager of the PC.
View attachment 338715

Easily done for under $1,000

wow, ok that seems simple enough. Currently we have DB25 ends to RJ45 from our switch box. Did you get your pigtail from DIGI?

Back