What's new
What's new

Hardinge Indexer: HV-4N "H"

bradjacob

Titanium
Does anyone know what the "H" at these indexers designates? Can't find a single thing on Google...

Thanks in advance!

HV-4N has a flush nose. HV-4NH has a threaded nose. HV-4NX has a 4 degree taper nose. All are vertical/horizontal capable. The threaded and 4 degree taper nose versions take the corresponding Hardinge lathe accessories.

H-4 is horizontal only with a flush nose.

Hardinge Collet Index Fixtures.

Does anyone know what the "H" at these indexers designates? Can't find a single thing on Google...

Thanks in advance!

The H in HV-4N stands for horizontal.

There is no model called HV-4N "H" or HV4-NH

The Hardinge brochure linked in post #2 shows that the typed text in post #2 is mistaken in the descriptions of the first two models.

Larry

The H in HV-4N stands for horizontal.

There is no model called HV-4N "H" or HV4-NH

The Hardinge brochure linked in post #2 shows that the typed text in post #2 is mistaken in the descriptions of the first two models.

Larry

Hi Larry - thanks for clarifying. But what is the H for in this one?s-l1600 (1).jpg

Thanks for the info - appreciate it! I see Larry added some insight as well. But the mystery still remains as to what the "H" is in the picture (I posted in my reply to Larry).

HV-4N has a flush nose. HV-4NH has a threaded nose. HV-4NX has a 4 degree taper nose. All are vertical/horizontal capable. The threaded and 4 degree taper nose versions take the corresponding Hardinge lathe accessories.

H-4 is horizontal only with a flush nose.

Hardinge Collet Index Fixtures.

Hi Larry - thanks for clarifying. But what is the H for in this one?View attachment 339377

I have 15 of the Hardinge HV indexers. None have markings that look like yours, though there are some slight variations in the order in which the information is stamped on the top lines of mine. On mine, the top line always contains the words 5C, Model and the actual model number, The lower two lines are Hardinge Brothers Inc. over Elmira, .NY. U.S.A. Here are two typical examples.

DSC00074.jpg DSC02984.jpg

So you have a strange example and I have no idea why it has those markings.

By the way, the HV-0 and H-0 indexers were sold with 20 hole plates. The HV-4 and H-4 have 24 holes. Hardinge sold separate plates for both models with no holes or with any number of holes that could fit on the plate.

Larry

I have 15 of the Hardinge HV indexers. None have markings that look like yours, though there are some slight variations in the order in which the information is stamped on the top lines of mine. On mine, the top line always contains the words 5C, Model and the actual model number, The lower two lines are Hardinge Brothers Inc. over Elmira, .NY. U.S.A. Here are two typical examples.

View attachment 339384 View attachment 339385

So you have a strange example and I have no idea why it has those markings.

By the way, the HV-0 and H-0 indexers were sold with 20 hole plates. The HV-4 and H-4 have 24 holes. Hardinge sold separate plates for both models with no holes or with any number of holes that could fit on the plate.

Larry

Awesome. Yeah, I was worried is might be some weird model that I couldn't use. Thanks Larry, for setting my mind at ease ;)

Got some news - before I posted this thread, I called and left a message at Hardinge (thinking it would be forgotten) - and someone called me back. They actually did a little research and told me this interesting news:

At some point, the indexers were outsourced to some other third party manufacturer. Then, Hardinge took back the manufacturing, in house.

So the "H" literally, stands for (made by) Hardinge :cheers:

Got some news - before I posted this thread, I called and left a message at Hardinge (thinking it would be forgotten) - and someone called me back. They actually did a little research and told me this interesting news:

At some point, the indexers were outsourced to some other third party manufacturer. Then, Hardinge took back the manufacturing, in house.

So the "H" literally, stands for (made by) Hardinge :cheers:

Old thread with more info.

Hardinge-Tree H/V Indexers, & Tree Dividing Heads

And there is an HV-4N on eBay with the Tree name.

HARDINGE-TREE 5C COLLET HORIZONTAL / VERTICAL INDEXING FIXTURE - #HV-4N | eBay
Tree marked HV-4N overall.jpg Tree marked HV-4N.jpg

Larry

Just looked at my HV-4 which I bought new in 1988; it has the "H" following the model number.

Wonder how many Hardinge sells of these at their current prices: Index Fixtures | Workholding | All Products | :-)

Larry, your collection has a replacement cost somewhere north of $180,000.00. Also note the prices of 20 and 24 hole plates. Then there's the mystery (to me anyway) of why the HV with the 4º taper nose is rather less than the other indexers including the rather simpler H-4.

David

Back