What's new
What's new

Anyone using heated (electric) sox/gloves/footpads?

use common sense. what's the common platform... usb cell phone batteries. a monster - brick can cost
1/10 of a similar dewalt or milwaukee tool battery. i have a heated jacket i bought on amazon for
less than 30 dollars. i wear a levi or carhart denim jacket over it when i work in my machine shop.
batteries last about 2-3 hours. but i have a bunch,,they cost about 10-12 dollars apiece. usb batteries
are cheap and abundant. tool based batteries are wildly expensive, not readily available .~100 dollars
apiece for same A/HR as a 10 dollar brick . the cell charging brick doesn't need to be tough.

Some loose fitting insulated boots seem to work best for keeping feet dry, ok for working around shop,

snip

Cal
Shoes go under the woodstove, so nice and toasty warm when I put them on:)

Ahh, Pre Warmed boots, especially insulated ones don't work for me. My Feet start sweating before I have the laces tied. I Much prefer, NO, MUST HAVE, room temp or colder boots to put on.
I keep all my outdoor work boots on a shelf about 10 feet from the wood stove. (After they are thoroughly dry.)

I don't even like insulated work boots. I much prefer something like Redwings, or a linemans single leather boot with room for decent insoles and layered socks. It's the sweat and wet thing.IMG_20220118_211332983.jpg

Cold weather selection. (Not including the hard shell Alpine boots)

The rubber bottoms are handi, but worthless for walking in. They pull socks down and wad up in the arch.

The rubber mud boots are my go to for winter tractor work. A very heavy pair of tall wool socks over a lighter pair. AND a "leather plus sheep's wool" insole to keep out the cold underfoot.

The electrified heated insoles can be slid into any of these (and others) on cold days. Very nice when working in the woods. ;-)

ETA

I have a Gerbings 12V heated vest that I use for cool weather motorbike rides. I also put a suitable receptical in the dash panel on one of the tractors. NICE! ;-)

use common sense. what's the common platform... usb cell phone batteries. a monster - brick can cost
1/10 of a similar dewalt or milwaukee tool battery. i have a heated jacket i bought on amazon for
less than 30 dollars. i wear a levi or carhart denim jacket over it when i work in my machine shop.
batteries last about 2-3 hours. but i have a bunch,,they cost about 10-12 dollars apiece. usb batteries
are cheap and abundant. tool based batteries are wildly expensive, not readily available .~100 dollars
apiece for same A/HR as a 10 dollar brick . the cell charging brick doesn't need to be tough.

IF we could just get all the makers of battery powered stuff to use the same connectors! ;-)

Used heated socks, gloves and jacket liner ridding Harley in the winter.
Make sure you get Socks that don’t have wires in the sole.
Also need to have a layer between you and the heated stuff so you don’t get burned
Gerbing or something like that was the brand they, also market to hunters so have batterie packs

That sounds like the "set a fish on fire, and it'll be warm for the rest of its life" parable.

Like Richard above, I'll be following this. Last week I started checking out Amazon's offerings in the lower range (>$100), but wasn't impressed with anything I saw.

I agree with those that say you can hack any proprietary battery pack (for generic 18650's for instance), but if you go with a DeWalt or similar tool battery make sure it's placed for minimal pain if you fall on it (if using it for an active purpose like skiing). So don't strap it to your hip (or helmet, for that matter).

Give a man a plane ticket and he will fly for a a day. Shove a man out of a plane and he will fly for the rest of his life.
Bill D

I'm watching this thread too. Anyone else here have feet that sweat when cold? I don't have this problem in summer, only winter, at the end of the day my socks are soaking wet, and feet are ice cold:confused:. Wondering if heated socks would help.

I swear by these for that issue:
Amazon.com: XTRATUF Bama Sokket Insulating Removable Men's Boot Liners (28500), 12 : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

They are made to wear with Xtratufs which is how I use them, and you probably need to go up 1/2 size with other boots.
At the end of the day they will be soaking wet but your cotton socks underneath will be dry. Magic.

Has anyone picked up on how this topic might relate to the topic on Li-Ion battery and recharging ;-)

i'll keep that in mind when i'm standing in line at 7AM in front of the academy store to buy 9mm .i'm
in my heated jacket, have my thinsulate Chippewa boots ,gloves , and a toboggan hat . the wind is
whipping so fast that you can't see , because your eyeballs will freeze. if i'd only done 50 pushups
and taken a few vitamins prior .......it would all go away. guy next to me is wrapped in a wool army
blanket...i suppose he needs to eat more vitamins and practice some yoga and ju-jitsu as well.

as a machinist- you use the tools available. steer the ship the best way you know. find your pleasures
where you can.

don't be a hero ... it will not impress anyone and you'll just get sick.

Not gloves or boots, but heated grips on my snow blower are the cats ass. Gloves got wet from thick wet snow and drizzle. But they were really comfortable and warm.

My sons and I use these: Amazon.com: XBUTY Heated Socks for Men/Women - Upgraded Rechargeable Electric Socks with 4800mAh Large Capacity Battery- Up to 16 Hours of Heat, Upgraded Heating Element up to 160℉, 3 Heat Settings, Black : Sports & Outdoors we get about 4-5 hours on the medium setting which is pretty good when you're sitting in a tree stand in 20 degree days. I am guessing that on the ski slopes you could get away with the low setting but even if you turned them up to the high setting you get three hours out of a charge. How long are you on the slopes?

My feet don't get particularly cold (maybe I can't feel them anymore), but my hands sure do. I have found that if you put on a pair of those disposable nitrile or whatever gloves and then your regular gloves then your hands will stay much, much warmer. I think there are two things going on. One, the "rubber" gloves keep your hands from coming in contact with wet outer gloves and two, they hold in the heat. Have you ever noticed how your hands are sweaty when you take off rubber gloves? The other thing I have learned is to wear mittens instead of gloves if your activities will allow it. They are much warmer then gloves with separate fingers. Any hunter who has pulled his fingers out of regular gloves and made a fist in the palm can tell you this.

LOL!

Mate of mine in Collitch was the PE prof. Also a good ski instructor.

Like I said, How hard cold it be?

:)

Downhill snow skiing is as close as one can get to flying without leaving the ground.

(Motorbikes are a close second....

Had no idea how much fun this Q would create! :)

It was warm all day on the slopes today so my toes and fingers were fine.
Per some notes, with Raynauds, i have always worn mittens in preference to gloves for any activity it is practical.

Some random answers to some random posts:

Batteries and the rechargers are an expensive & and apparently more or less rapidly consumable component of most systems. PC tools, a couple chargers, and lots of various size batteries are already here. Don't need a second/ different system if these are adaptable.

IOW, paid for by work, these are free, and free into the future AFA skiing use. They have way more capacity than the expensive dedicated systems, at some compromise in convenience of location.

Love the helicopter skiing, but it is way outside anything i want to afford.
Never expected to retire, so i did not dedicate a lot of effort to the financial aspects of doing so.
I continue to manage to fly, and to ski, so long as health holds. But probably won't combine the 2.
Besides that, as a returning skier after some 15 yrs lapse, a lot of the experience would be wasted on my remaining skills. I do have fun & am enjoying how rapidly some of it is coming back.

Richard - I'm slow, and getting slower with age - but the SWAT team comment is opaque to me?

Winter is so short here anymore it might be over before i get around to any experiments.
The last conceptual part of the puzzle for me, though, is: How is heat controlled in such garments? Is there a thermocouple and controller? Or is it a simple amp restriction/variable resister?
I'm assuming a Thermic or SIDA (or not-yet-identified analog) insert element for boot sole; the battery connector and buck "transformer", then for heat control?????

smt

Back