What's new
What's new

O.T. ~ Get medical checkups.

"So approximately 18hrs in the system. The bill (not including the ambulance) was initially $94,513.xx. The ambulance is a separate $2K or so. "

Jeez. My son broke his arm once....the hospital was directly across the street from the trampoline place where he broke it. I mean you could walk there. They sent an ambulance....it took half an hour to get there, they loaded him up, and by the time they got done with all their radio clearances and checks...it took another half hour to get back to the hospital. $2800 bill for that.

Then...I had a fairly minor foot operation that came in at just over $20K. My doctor - a very good guy - told me his practice would take in right at $1000 of that money. The rest would go to the surgical center, anesthesiologist, etc.

As for getting bitten by a friend's cobra, or even a coral snake...NFW would you find me anywhere near that. The closest I get to snakes (even so-called good snakes) is 1 ounce of lead shot.

Back when I was getting the PSA blood level checks at prostate problem time.... mine was at like 3.8... elevated to 4.2 and set off alarms.

One day I walked in the little lab where they drew the blood. A former coworker was setting in there waiting his turn.

Chatting with him, I said "they found I have cancer in my prostate and I'm having blood drawn to see if it's changing. What are you here for?"

He says "me too". I said "what is your level?"

He says "68". I asked "6.8?", and he shook his head "No, it's 68."

I said "Holy Shit... how'd that happen?"

He says "well, I never bothered to get a prostate exam, and by the time I noticed something was wrong, it was too late."

He still looked good, and I told him that, but he died less than 6 months later!!!

Doctor told me that every man who reaches a certain age, like 80, has prostate cancer. Doesn't necessarily die from that cancer, but if the cancer cells migrate out of there (metastasize)and land somewhere else~ that's when the problems arise.

Since there have been some discussions in this thread about health care cost, I've got a good one for ya. I am taking a drug called Ofev. $13,869.77 a month. I know there are high costs associated with research etc. but that seems not only ridiculous but out of the reach of a lot of people who need it. Oddly enough, if you don't have insurance, it's a bit cheaper.

"The cost for Ofev oral capsule 100 mg is around $12,076 for a supply of 60 capsules, depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans."

I really (truly) hate to introduce politic into this, but the majority of health care is liberal-run and like most things run by liberals, it's a mess. Out-of-control costs, out-of-control lawsuits, and lots of people being very well paid for nebulous functions.

My friend who works at Texas Childrens' Hospital had told me for years their annual budget goes to over 50% 'indigent care'. That means, in plain Spanish, that more than half the people they treat don't pay a dime. Now what could go wrong with that???

While we're telling war stories...

Had a couple TIA's (mini strokes) four years ago at 57, was like a curtain coming down on my right eye, foggy above and clear below. Lasted 30 sec. and went away, felt normal. After the second one I went to the emerg, was checked out OK and given an appointment with an Ophthalmologist. She recommended a Neurologist ASAP, the ultrasound and MRI found my right Carotid artery was 99% blocked, surgery went well.

Being diagnosed with Atherosclerosis and a strong family history of heart attack/stroke I was wondering about my ticker. Since I had no symptoms I couldn't get any testing done here in Ontario (verboten, you can't even pay for it) so I shuffled off to Buffalo for a CCTA (Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography). Sure enough, major blockage, many arteries. Now they'll help me here, had a stress test but wasn't convinced my new Cardiologist was that concerned. Was referred to another by a neighbor and he's excellent, set me up for an Angiogram (the gold standard as he put it) and now I'm getting good care.

A year after my Carotid surgery I woke up one morning with a sore throat but no other cold like symptoms, ended up being oral cancer. Oncologist said I had a "squamish cell carcinoma of the soft palate" and handed me a script for an MRI - in four weeks! Again I shuffled off to Buffalo and had the disk to his secretary the next day. Great system here in Kanuckistan.

Yes, get your checkups, and if something weird is going on get it checked out.

I really (truly) hate to introduce politic into this, but the majority of health care is liberal-run

No you don't hate it. You do it every time. We're all used to that. And no it's not. It's run by big pharma and that's a truly market driven republican activity.

Everyone knows Canada has the best health care system on Earth. It's FREE!!!

Not to jack the OP's thread but I think both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

The care here under our socialized medicine is excellent, but the system is stretched to the max with the boomers all reaching the age where they need attention. Our "universal health care" is paid by taxation (2/3rds of our taxes go to health care) but no matter what your socioeconomic status you'll be taken care of, you may die waiting, but you'll get good care. Being government run it's full of bloat and waste, in Quebec they're starting to allow some privatization as their system is basically broken, I think we'll need that here in Ontario at some point as well.

From what I see in the US you also have great health care but it depends on how much insurance you can afford (or not). Instead of government waste you can have corporate greed. You sure don't wait for treatment tho.

Which system is best? Neither in my opinion, a mix between the two would be better for all.

Once again (and before this thread develops in to a political bitch fight) get yourself checked out.

Trust me colon cancer, stomas, colostomy's and chemo is not fun.

And illness doesn't give a flying fuck whatever you believe or which way you vote.

I really (truly) hate to introduce politic into this, but the majority of health care is liberal-run and like most things run by liberals, it's a mess.

Dr. Stella Immanuel has a walk in clinic not too far from you, she only practices christian conservative medicine, maybe give her a try?:)

As for your fear of snakes, nothing is funnier than chasing someone like you with a snake and shoving it in your face and listening to the shrieks of fear:eek:

"No you don't hate it. You do it every time. We're all used to that. And no it's not. It's run by big pharma and that's a truly market driven republican activity. "

Dead wrong. Big pharma is heavily laden with Democrats and liberals. Look at the campaign contributions made to O'Biden's campaign, or O'Bammy's, and you'll massive amounts of money being 'gifted' by noted liberals at the top of pharmaceutical companies. Look at photos from all the gala events and you'll see a fuck-fest of liberal politicians and liberal big pharma people. Further down the food chain, you'll see the majority of health care employees are liberals.

As always, there are exceptions - but we're talking the norm. I will admit, though, my points are all fact and data based and lack the emotional content so valued by liberals.

As for your fear of snakes, nothing is funnier than chasing someone like you with a snake and shoving it in your face and listening to the shrieks of fear:eek:

Doo that to me and You'll get something shoved in your face.....a wee bit more lethal,
and there is no antidote.

So I got bitten Weds night about 8pm. I drove myself to the ER and told them what happened, around 9PM. They put an IV in me, called an ambulance, and sent me to the real hospital, because they don't administer antivenin in the ER. If they'd told me that before I got the IV, I'd have just driven myself to the hospital.

At the hospital, I was administered the antivenin (the antivenin was out of production from 2006 to 2018), I stayed overnight with a heart monitor and hourly checks on my vitals/neurological function (fun fact: The coral snake is the most venomous snake in North America, drop for drop; It's got a potent neurotoxin that can shut your lungs down). I was served Breakfast and Lunch, and was released at approximately 3PM on Thursday. So approximately 18hrs in the system. The bill (not including the ambulance) was initially $94,513.xx. The ambulance is a separate $2K or so.

Insurance negotiated their payment down to $58xx.xx, and I owed a $100 copay. I owed the ambulance approximately $100 for a copay as well.

Isn't it great having decent health insurance?

Back when I was getting the PSA blood level checks at prostate problem time.... mine was at like 3.8... elevated to 4.2 and set off alarms.

One day I walked in the little lab where they drew the blood. A former coworker was setting in there waiting his turn.

Chatting with him, I said "they found I have cancer in my prostate and I'm having blood drawn to see if it's changing. What are you here for?"

He says "me too". I said "what is your level?"

He says "68". I asked "6.8?", and he shook his head "No, it's 68."

I said "Holy Shit... how'd that happen?"

He says "well, I never bothered to get a prostate exam, and by the time I noticed something was wrong, it was too late."

He still looked good, and I told him that, but he died less than 6 months later!!!

Doctor told me that every man who reaches a certain age, like 80, has prostate cancer. Doesn't necessarily die from that cancer, but if the cancer cells migrate out of there (metastasize)and land somewhere else~ that's when the problems arise.

One of my grandfathers died at 81 of prostate cancer. He knew he had problems and was otherwise pretty healthy but still refused to get any treatment. Old school I guess.

There's something to be said for refusing medical treatment, especially after a certain age. I used to think differently...but on seeing several people I know get old and die....I've come to realize that the concept that life has one goal - to live as many days as possible - is kinda bullshit. Not all years are the same.

I have a relative who lived to 93...but the last ten years were a downhill slide of poor health and Parkinson's. His quality of life in those 10 years was nothing to strive for.

This reminds me of the two guys who were sentenced to be executed on the same day. The warden called them in to his office, and asked if they had any last requests. The first guy replied, "Yes. I want to hear Achy-Breaky Heart, just one more time."

"Very well," said the warden. He then asked the other guy if he had any last request.

"Yes," he said, "Kill me first!"

Not to jack the OP's thread but I think both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

The care here under our socialized medicine is excellent, but the system is stretched to the max with the boomers all reaching the age where they need attention. Our "universal health care" is paid by taxation (2/3rds of our taxes go to health care) but no matter what your socioeconomic status you'll be taken care of, you may die waiting, but you'll get good care. Being government run it's full of bloat and waste, in Quebec they're starting to allow some privatization as their system is basically broken, I think we'll need that here in Ontario at some point as well.

From what I see in the US you also have great health care but it depends on how much insurance you can afford (or not). Instead of government waste you can have corporate greed. You sure don't wait for treatment tho.

Which system is best? Neither in my opinion, a mix between the two would be better for all.

Good heavens Keeley, a person with experience in both systems who replies with an even-keeled, thoughtful and helpful note, without immediately taking other posts and AMPLIFYING YOUR HYPERBOLIC REDUCTIO AD ABSURDUM RESPONSE TO LEVEL 10!?

I dont' know if the site will recover. What fun is there in learning facts and reading considerate posts? Geez.

I really (truly) hate to introduce politic into this, but the majority of health care is liberal-run and like most things run by liberals, it's a mess. Out-of-control costs . . .

Do a Venn diagram and you'll find the picture is somewhat like this. One cluster consists of corporate pharma and healthcare CEOs doing their best to "maximize profits for shareholders." With guys like Martin Shkreli and Richard Scrushy the poster children for why we pay too much. And why we see hospitals charging $25 for an aspirin and using old and dying patients as an ATM machine at the end of their lives.

It also includes doctors mainly in it for the biggest pay days -- and picking specialties like surgery. They continue to vote mostly Republican - though most are the old style Republicans wanting to keep as much in their own pockets as possible and not so much the new nutcase versions.

Another cluster consists of medical professionals mostly in it to deliver health care. Used to be we found lots of them in non-profits. Most of those since bought up. However, some are still in it for their patients -- and they tend to be women and somewhat more progressive leaning than the for-maximum-profits types. From one study:

"The study was prompted by past research in a primary care setting that suggested there could be differences in how male and female physicians practice. This included reports that female doctors spent more time with patients, provided more patient-centered care and care with an empathic focus. A U.S. study, done in 2017, also found a similar difference in patient death depending on physician gender . . .".

Also FWIW, the vast majority of health care in the US is provided by private medical businesses. No one (myself included) seems interested in changing that part. However, about a third of our spend goes to overhead and billing costs. Those overhead costs are lower in government-run Medicare (and in other national health systems) than in private insurance companies. The latter are busy, still busy, trying to charge more and deliver less. A few like Kaiser Permanente seem to do the harder work of increasing efficiency.

As for pharma, it was Bush 2.0 administration that gave them the we-won't-negotiate prices deal that's costing US citizens a fortune. It was part of the deal to add drug coverage. Lots of people want to reform that -- and the pharma industry is doing all it can to buy political favor from anyone who will block that. Used to be mostly Republicans. Now includes Democrats like Kyrsten Sinema -- most anyone willing to be bought for campaign contributions and in a position to obstruct reform.

Joe - wish you the very best. Glad you took charge and caught this early.

Gee....and no one over 50 can innovate ?

Get with the times grandpa.

What's with your Hitler complex eh ?

Force them out by age ? There are federal laws against it.

No sir, they would never do that. They will just mandate medical treatment as a term of employment and say; "comply or quit by default". All the cool kids are doing it these days, it's super trendy. Feds love it.

Makin a fuss doesn't help much. It will only net a trip to HR... where you can debate your grievance with a burley blue haired 'birthing person' using They/Them pronouns; sporting a neck beard and liberal arts degree

Isn't 2022 exciting! :o

I agree with regular check ups as well as blood tests. Many chronic issues can be avoided by keeping the body in proper balance.

Having your teeth cleaned twice a year and an annual check up with a chiropractor doesn't hurt either. Insurance is not cheap, we might as well get all we can from it.

Back