What's new
What's new

Cadillac 1733 purchased, need help

empower

Titanium
hey guys, first off i hope this is in the right section. if not let me know where i should post this.
started a new job beginning of the year at an EV battery startup and in process of setting up the R&D/tooling shop.
one of the tools i picked up is this cadillac 1733 lathe that looks to be in pretty good shape, at least on the outside.
there's a few things that i see right away, the carriage is missing 2 bolts, hopefully thats all thats wrong with it.
looks like this has a coolant sump, and i'm assuming the pump is inside somewhere. the small black iron pipe needs to be piped to the carriage.
its missing the tool post, any recommendations for a quick change post? ideally something 4 position that i can save offsets in the DRO - bringing me to the next question: how hard is it to install a DRO in one of these? which one is recommended?

i've got some experience with manual lathes, by far not an expert, in fact i'll need to learn a lot about how this one specifically works, what levers move what etc...

any tips and tricks are welcome!

271664775_355686082680894_2611261657869711868_n.jpg271639603_958232991756818_8600968136198708995_n.jpg271713213_451050669829122_6503570350803355597_n.jpg269738143_1919906618193386_5035376893852469905_n.jpg

This lathe is from Taiwan. Some info here:

Cadillac Lathes - Taiwan

I'll be moving this thread somewhere, inside of 24 hours, and probably sooner. I'm just not sure where to put it. General section maybe. I'll delete this portion of comment when I move it. I know this site has issue with cheaper Asian machines. But I'm not sure where Taiwan stuff fall in there, generally better than some other stuff.

thank you!

Honestly, the questions you are asking suggest you don't have a lot of mechanical aptitude. But, in answer to your last question, a DRO is fairly easy to install but like anything....you need to consider proper placement, protection, alignment, etc.

This lathe is sort of an offshoot of the Whacheon/Mori Seiki family, so you can also look to those lathes for parts or guidance.

Honestly, the questions you are asking suggest you don't have a lot of mechanical aptitude. But, in answer to your last question, a DRO is fairly easy to install but like anything....you need to consider proper placement, protection, alignment, etc.

This lathe is sort of an offshoot of the Whacheon/Mori Seiki family, so you can also look to those lathes for parts or guidance.

i can definitely figure it out on my own given enough time, just figured if someone's done stuff like this before they might have some pointers.

I’ve got a Mori Seiki MS850 which yours is a copy of. Those two missing bolts would suggest something was about to be serviced. At that point I’d pull the saddle and top slide off and clean the carriage sump and check the oil galleys. I did it on mine and found the sump was full of sludge and needed to repair the oil pump also. Fortunately my Mori came with the parts breakdown manual but no owners manual. I had found the Yam 850 manual somewhere and downloaded it, Cadillac rebadged the Yam’s Yang Iron all one in the same as others. If you pm me with your email address I can send the manual to you.

I’ve got a Mori Seiki MS850 which yours is a copy of. Those two missing bolts would suggest something was about to be serviced. At that point I’d pull the saddle and top slide off and clean the carriage sump and check the oil galleys. I did it on mine and found the sump was full of sludge and needed to repair the oil pump also. Fortunately my Mori came with the parts breakdown manual but no owners manual. I had found the Yam 850 manual somewhere and downloaded it, Cadillac rebadged the Yam’s Yang Iron all one in the same as others. If you pm me with your email address I can send the manual to you.

your inbox is full

If you are going to use coolant you need a chip pan over the sump, at the least a screen.
If you are not using coolant all the time, probably better off not any, just makes a mess. Synthetic removes oil, and other coolant grows.

Dave

Back