What's new
What's new

Serial Numbers Wanted

I just joined the forum this morning.
I purchased a 16" Engine Lathe with SN: 20149.
Just starting to learn about it.
I believe it's a 1920s vintage.
It's in good shape, but needs some TLC.
I feel blessed to have been able to own a piece of working history!

Hi i am dealing with a situation here I have a fixed steady rest with SRD101T serial number seems to belong to a SB 13. I have a SB with 12569RKX1 6 serial number , I think and someone told me it is a heavy 10, I am new to this world. My problem is that I need an steady rest for my model. Can you help?

1951, yes!
This appears to be a 10L "stubby", measure the bed length for us. if it's 36-inches you are in the Short club, pretty rare lathes.
if it's 42-inches, that's the perfect small shop lathe! you win both ways!!

Steve
The bed is 36"; I hadn't realized this was a shorter lathe! Thanks for pointing that out. Will now do some research regarding "stubby" 36" 10Ls.:D

I just obtained a 9C, it's serial number is 92416. I guess it's 1930's

The lathe came with a peculiar designed 3 jaw chuck and a large 4 jaw with an inbuilt thread to fit the mandrel. Also a number of change wheels.

Hi Steve, thanks for compiling the data, a big job for sure. I recently acquired my SB 10K lathe and the learning journey is beginning. So much to know, where to start? Lucky me, it appears my lathe was never really used. The original greases had hardened up to the point nothing really turned. A complete dismantling, cleaning and lubing has it in a happy state.

It is a CL370RD with a 4 1/2 foot bed and the serial number is 35076 K.

Looking at your spreadsheets, I did find my model and by the serial number, it looks to be later 70's vintage. It has a 1/2 HP 3 ph motor, looks to be original. I've included some SB data sheets(see attached)that you can add to your material (in case you don't already have it).

[/ATTACH]20220118_094043.jpg20220118_094022.jpg20220118_094030.jpg20220118_094057.jpg20220118_103859.jpg

Last edited:
Witam dostałem ostatnio w prezencie tokarkę sounth bend lathe 9' model 415-YV numer katalogowy 490974 beż dodatkowego sprzętu.

Witam dostałem ostatnio w prezencie tokarkę sounth bend lathe 9' model 415-YV numer katalogowy 490974 beż dodatkowego sprzętu.
Appears to be in Polish. google translate says;

Hello, I recently received a sounth bend lathe 9 'model 415-YV as a gift, catalog number 490974, without additional equipment.

Payson.

1927 South Bend 13" Gap Bed Engine Lathe, 5 foot bed, S/N 3571

QC gearbox, Trestle base (legs, no cabinet). Originally used overhead belts. Looks like a factory conversion to electric. The gap bed allows up to 16" swing, but the apron is reversed (transverse wheel is on the opposite side of the apron) from most others. This is prior to SB data card system.

IMG_0555.jpg

Hello -

I just picked up a South Bend 9 inch Model A, Catalog Number CL944Z, S/N 38434NAR9. Horizontal Drive 12 speed.

SB9 CL944Z.jpg

Hello all. Just joined as I have become the new owner of a south bend #8183c lathe. Serial number is 141202. From what info I’ve found, is a 14.5” toolroom lathe. Anymore info on it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Chris.

WOW I just joined searching for information and stumbled here!!
My lathe is serial number 131358. It has the D.W.W. bed stamp and a circle below the s/n with AN and u46 under it.
It's cabinet mounted with the motor inside the lower cabinet
I think it's a 10"x4ft but I'm not sure.
It's been converted to CNC so the previous owner took off the apron and the quick change gears and the reverse gear set. :(
So, I'm searching for parts and part numbers to put it back together right.

1942 beginning of a restoration

I'm about to get my hands on a 10L - 4 foot bed with Catalog #187-A serial #126191
I'm not sure how it will work out but I'll have to take it completely apart from the basement where it's resided for over 60 years.
(Sorry for the misleading title)

Attachments

• front of machine.jpg
    front of machine.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1942 dated serial number.jpg
    1942 dated serial number.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 43
  • catalog number 1.jpg
    catalog number 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 42
Just picked up this cute little thing...

9" swing, 3' bed
Catalog # 722-YC
Serial # 35999

It runs, but I haven't had a chance to look it over much yet. Lots of tooling included, 3-jaw, 4-jaw and a couple face plates, steady rest, etc. Tail stock is not original as far as I can tell. There are a few gears included, but I am unsure if all the gears are there yet (standard change gears). Motor looks to be the original 110v Westinghouse.

I can't wait to get it cleaned up, learn more about it and use it! Sorry about the pictures - the shop is a bit of a disaster currently.:ack2:

sb4.jpgsb1.jpgsb6.jpgsb5.jpgsb7.jpg

Back