What's new
What's new

Crysral for B&S and Starret indicator.

Froneck

Titanium
Some time ago I asked for information on getting a Crystal for my B&S BesTest 7033-5 and Starrett 708 indicators. Long Island Indicator Service was said to be best source. I went there, note said phone will not be answered but called and left message. I also e-mail them with information listed above and have not gotten a reply. Having a lot of other indicators it's not a rush but would like to put crystals on them since the work great. Not sure where I got them but were in my tool box without crystals. Starrett measures 35.06mm and B&S 36.94mm but that is to the openings so Crystal has to be a bit larger.
Anyone know the exact size I need? Or how to contact Long Island? Another source?

Last edited:
Lots of people use Mark Ratkowski. He is MR Tool Repair. You can find him on Facebook under that name or his email is [email protected]. I have used him and he does great work

Thanks discodan! E-mail sent.

Note: I received notification the e-mail was Undelivered and returned to sender in about 1 minute after it was sent.

Last edited:
Some time ago I asked for information on getting a Crystal for my B&S BesTest 7033-5 and Starrett 708 indicators. Long Island Indicator Service was said to be best source. I went there, note said phone will not be answered but called and left message. I also e-mail them with information listed above and have not gotten a reply. Having a lot of other indicators it's not a rush but would like to put crystals on them since the work great. Not sure where I got them but were in my tool box without crystals. Starrett measures 35.06mm and B&S 36.94mm but that is to the openings so Crystal has to be a bit larger.
Anyone know the exact size I need? Or how to contact Long Island? Another source?
Years ago I repaired and rebuilt precision tools. I still have most of the repair parts stored in my workshop. I been trying to figure out how to sell everything but to date have not.
I'll dig around this weekend and get back to you.
Walter
My email is [email protected]

I second that Mark does great work. He most certainly repairs and services indicators.

I use a local watchmaker/repair to replace crystals, most are standard watch crystals. So if its just a crystal try one of them.

When I needed a crystal for a dial caliper, I ended up buying a large NOS assortment of Hunting Case Pocket Watch Crystals on ebay. I found the size I needed, and I've been selling the rest individually on ebay, so it didn't end up costing me anything.

The Hunting Case signifies that it is a low dome, nearly flat crystal.

Take a look on ebay and you should be able to find ones that fit.

You are on your own, though, as far as knowing how much larger the crystal should be than the measurements you made.

I have used Mark for many years and he has done probably 25 indicators for me. I have sent him some real basket cases and they always come back working like new. Even sent him a Federal without a functional dial, and he replaced it with correct dial, works great.
I would highly recommend him.

Ben

Why would you not just contact B&S and Starrett for new crystals?

I contacted Starrett a while back needing an indicator part. The lady I spoke with at Starrett basically told me it was not worth their time to take my order for a part that they don't have part number for. They told me just to buy a whole new one.

Back