What's new
What's new

Self Centering Vises: Orange Vise Delta IV 2nd Gen vs Schunk KSC

I have Gressel Centric C2 Vices. They are identical to the Schunk KCS but have both the Schunk and Lang/5thaxis mounting system underneath. You can also order them with jaws compatible with Lang stamping units. Would highly recommend them.

Centric vice C2 | GRESSEL

1400ish for the vise including standard gressel/schunk dovetail grip style jaws
1000ish for the vise with no jaws
300ish per jaw for Lang compatible jaws

So basically 1400-1600 all in. Seems pretty reasonable for the quality and comparable to competitors pricing...

I have used both and they are much nicer than the 5th axis. Almost no jaw lift and the vise jaws don't twist if clamping something not on center line. They are identical to the Schunk vises and it even says Schunk on the side of the vise (Gressel is owned by Schunk I think). You just get the benefit of having both mounting systems underneath if that is important for your setup.

Can anyone with a decent quantity of vises comment on how straight are the jaws on the various brands? For 2nd OP work.

I've only got 5th-axis brand and they are hit or miss. I have 30 or so of the v562's. Most are probably in the .005" range across the length of the jaw. A couple are "reasonably" straight at .001-.002", but some are just dogshit and like .015"+

Can anyone with a decent quantity of vises comment on how straight are the jaws on the various brands? For 2nd OP work.

I've only got 5th-axis brand and they are hit or miss. I have 30 or so of the v562's. Most are probably in the .005" range across the length of the jaw. A couple are "reasonably" straight at .001-.002", but some are just dogshit and like .015"+

my orange vises are all within ~.0005

1400ish for the vise including standard gressel/schunk dovetail grip style jaws
1000ish for the vise with no jaws
300ish per jaw for Lang compatible jaws

So basically 1400-1600 all in. Seems pretty reasonable for the quality and comparable to competitors pricing...

How repeatable do the jaws stay to the centerline? Does it drift with different sized pieces? I am in the same boat as Bug and am following this thread closely. Good info so far.

I have never used the Orange vise, it does look good tho. I can compare other brands like Lang & 5th Axis to Schunk. Easiest way to compare is to say I will never buy a Lang or 5th axis again. All we have are slowly being replaced by Schunk.
Don't get me wrong, we have made a lot of parts on the other brands & they have more than paid for themselves. After using the Schunk's, you quickly discover that the 10-20% price premium is well worth it.

I have never used the Orange vise, it does look good tho. I can compare other brands like Lang & 5th Axis to Schunk. Easiest way to compare is to say I will never buy a Lang or 5th axis again. All we have are slowly being replaced by Schunk.
Don't get me wrong, we have made a lot of parts on the other brands & they have more than paid for themselves. After using the Schunk's, you quickly discover that the 10-20% price premium is well worth it.

I was thinking the Schunks were double+ of the cost of the Orange vises. Can you put some real numbers out there?

I was thinking the Schunks were double+ of the cost of the Orange vises. Can you put some real numbers out there?

I'm setting up for some spindle gripper automation action in my machine. The Schunk KSP is the gold standard for pneumatic vises so I was getting a bunch of Schunk stuff quoted (vise, grippers, jaw blanks, etc etc.) Asked about the KSC because it's nice looking - $1800 for the body alone, they can make a deal on the jaws, but you're looking at about $2k all-in.

Well I bet if Eric gets someone to carve a panther out of forged block of aluminum that looks like a big pillow all held in an Orange vise or two (front video on this site now with lang vises) and put that on instagram he'd be able to charge at least twice what he's planning to charge.

Ok, edumacate me. If it's for a first op, from raw stock, what does it matter if the vise is slightly less precise, or lifts a hair? When it's tight it should be all locked up regardless.

Back