What's new
What's new

Requesting recommendations on CAD/CAM, slight twist

turnworks

Cast Iron
Been using a very old CAD/CAM and finally looking to upgrade.

Not a job shop and only make my own products. I will only be spending roughly 1 hour a week using the software. The old software didn't come with any manual and I just taught myself how to use it over the years through trail and error(many hours wasted). Gave my teacher a D- for the job he did.

Machines are some older mills and lathes fanuc/siemens controllers. 2 axis lathes 3 axis mills no 4th. I've been getting a rough program out of my software then heavily editing it to make it usable/better.

I've been getting by with it but there are some newer tool paths that I think would help me out and I could make the paths by hand but my trig isn't what it once was.

Looking for software with more tool path options and one that can make a decent looking paper print with title block. Current software has one tool path option for rectangle pocket milling. Also I need one with a dang manual(this is the slight twist part). I don't have a ton of time just trying to figure everything out. I'm a far better learner through reading. I like having a question then hitting the book to find what I'm after. Not sure that even exists anymore with software.

Have a desktop windows 7 computer that has been offline for its life just for my machines and CAD/CAM. Really prefer not to get a new computer. Also I want to stay away from anything that needs an internet connection. Want to just buy the software no monthly fees. Budget is 3k but it might have to go higher.

Not really looking for software that I will grow into down the road. Just a basic one that works as is. I've contacted 2 companies and its as I thought. Any questions I ask I'll get a yes it can answer then a ramble about something unrelated.

Any suggestions would be great even if its....idiot use the search function better. Or you won't use the software enough so just have someone with the software to get you program and pay them per program.

Not a job shop and only make my own products. I will only be spending roughly 1 hour a week using the software. The old software didn't come with any manual and I just taught myself how to use it over the years through trail and error(many hours wasted). Gave my teacher a D- for the job he did.

Machines are some older mills and lathes fanuc/siemens controllers. 2 axis lathes 3 axis mills no 4th. I've been getting a rough program out of my software then heavily editing it to make it usable/better.

I've been getting by with it but there are some newer tool paths that I think would help me out and I could make the paths by hand but my trig isn't what it once was.

Looking for software with more tool path options and one that can make a decent looking paper print with title block. Current software has one tool path option for rectangle pocket milling. Also I need one with a dang manual(this is the slight twist part). I don't have a ton of time just trying to figure everything out. I'm a far better learner through reading. I like having a question then hitting the book to find what I'm after. Not sure that even exists anymore with software.

Have a desktop windows 7 computer that has been offline for its life just for my machines and CAD/CAM. Really prefer not to get a new computer. Also I want to stay away from anything that needs an internet connection. Want to just buy the software no monthly fees. Budget is 3k but it might have to go higher.

Not really looking for software that I will grow into down the road. Just a basic one that works as is. I've contacted 2 companies and its as I thought. Any questions I ask I'll get a yes it can answer then a ramble about something unrelated.

Any suggestions would be great even if its....idiot use the search function better. Or you won't use the software enough so just have someone with the software to get you program and pay them per program.

fusion 360.

fusion 360.

+1. Fusion is eventually going to stop working on Win7, and it's cloud based, otherwise it fits all your wants. $500/yr makes subscription only a negligible issue, at least for now. Fusion is the only hope I know of to get posts for all of your old machines without spending a fortune to get them built, other systems seem to use post construction as a cash cow with the CAM program the trojan horse to get them into your wallet. There is a ton of online help and documentation to learn it.

As usual, the fusionfanboys don't read posts and just spam FUSION360 on any cad cam discussion. Fusion needs both of the above.

3k for 2x lathe and 3x mill, Mastercam is probably out of reach. I haven't priced BOBCAD in a while but that may be worth looking into. The sales team there has gotten a bad rap over the years so maybe just hit Al Depoalo up directly, he is here from time to time. You should be able to search BOBCAD and find him in those posts somewhere.

Bobcad can get you by. Not to great to draw in though for my taste. I have been looking into OneCnc and getting a new computer within the month which will NEVER be hooked to internet.

viacad pro. simple(ish) stuff viacad 2d/3d. A few hundred dollars. Need to go online once for it, once for initial install, after that it lives off line for ever. You can install offline with a jump drive with a little sneaker net back and forth.
Cam software, idk. Bobcad and smartcnc are north of your budget- unless you are on their first tier cam.
Rhino with one of the plug in cam options might be within your budget.

As usual, the fusionfanboys don't read posts and just spam FUSION360 on any cad cam discussion. Fusion needs both of the above.

3k for 2x lathe and 3x mill, Mastercam is probably out of reach. I haven't priced BOBCAD in a while but that may be worth looking into. The sales team there has gotten a bad rap over the years so maybe just hit Al Depoalo up directly, he is here from time to time. You should be able to search BOBCAD and find him in those posts somewhere.

not a fanboy. i use NX at work. just aware of its capabilities at an extremely low price point.

Thank you all for the replies. Some of those companies I've never heard of and will look into.

I did get a chance to contact the company that makes what I am using now and their new version of vectorcam looks to have what I want with a price very close to my budget. Since I kinda know it already that might be a good option.

I have tried to play around with fusion and it locked up 3 times in the first hour so I gave up.

I'm starting to see you really have to log a good amount of hours to get good at any complex software.

Thanks again.

$3k budget is going to be tough to find something, I would look into a SolidWorks Standard seat, it comes with SolidWorksCAM which is the bare bones basic version of CAMWorks 2.5 axis. There is annual maintenance but you can opt out of that and just never upgrade to newer versions. I believe SolidWorks standard is around $3995.

I have Alibre/Meshcam. It was $400 and good enough for my home shop.
Alibre was a download and has a free trial. but you don't have to stay connected after purchase.

I think most programs require a connection for verification or a dongle.

I liked Fusion. But they crippled it for hobby use(free). The free use was basically a years long beta version, and was getting pretty good. I couldn't justify the cost for home use. Downside is if you lose connection, you're down.

Dave

Back