What's new
What's new

Brother tool wash disable

Matt@RFR

Titanium
I'm adding chip fans to our R650's, which works great on our X1 that does not have a tool wash when changing tools, just an air blast.

On the X2's that have tool wash every tool change, I run the fan then change to the next pallet. Of course G100 tool change is changing tools as the pallet rotates, which activates the tool wash, which douches the clean pallet with coolant. :dopeslap:

I know I can disable the tool change/axis motion during pallet rotation, but would rather not give up that cycle time if I don't have to.

I asked Yamazen if there was a macro variable I could use but was told no.

Any goofy ideas to try?

I'm adding chip fans to our R650's, which works great on our X1 that does not have a tool wash when changing tools, just an air blast.

On the X2's that have tool wash every tool change, I run the fan then change to the next pallet. Of course G100 tool change is changing tools as the pallet rotates, which activates the tool wash, which douches the clean pallet with coolant. :dopeslap:

I know I can disable the tool change/axis motion during pallet rotation, but would rather not give up that cycle time if I don't have to.

I asked Yamazen if there was a macro variable I could use but was told no.

Any goofy ideas to try?

Give M499 a shot in the program. Will need to be on its own line before the G100 line in the program. M499 is Tool Wash OFF, and M498 is Tool Wash ON.

If this doesn’t work during pallet change for some reason, you can disable the tool wash for the tool that’s being loaded during pallet change under Tool List , To Switch Display, Expansion, then scroll down and disable the tool wash for that specific tool.

On our M300X3 to turn off the tool wash I put M497 in the line above G100. I believe there is also a way to permanently disable tool wash for a particular tool in one of the tables. We have that setup for our spindle probe.

Are you running that lean where a couple of seconds hurts?
I thought there was an M code to turn it on and off?
These machines are running four part numbers that will run for 5 months. Seconds add up.

Give M499 a shot in the program. Will need to be on its own line before the G100 line in the program. M499 is Tool Wash OFF, and M498 is Tool Wash ON.

If this doesn’t work during pallet change for some reason, you can disable the tool wash for the tool that’s being loaded during pallet change under Tool List , To Switch Display, Expansion, then scroll down and disable the tool wash for that specific tool.
Looking closer now, every tool change that I want to disable tool wash is for the probe. I'm still game to try it since I'm checking the probe for runout every cycle so it won't get far if something ends up in the spindle. I'll have to think more about what I want to do here.

I tried M498 and M499 in various spots in the program, but it gave me a "Specified M code cannot be used" alarm. I'm currently running a real goofball of a program with simulated M0's on both pallets, so who knows what kind of fuckery I've got myself in to there. I'll try again with a more normal program coming up.

Thanks for the Mcodes! Who knew it would be that simple. Not Yamazen, apparently. :D

On our M300X3 to turn off the tool wash I put M497 in the line above G100. I believe there is also a way to permanently disable tool wash for a particular tool in one of the tables. We have that setup for our spindle probe.

Why do you purposely disable tool wash for your probe? Are you worried about coolant ingress?

Does anyone know the Japanglish translation of the difference between M497 ("Tool replacement tool washing OFF") and M498/M499 ("Spindle air blow/tool washing ON/OFF")? M497 must be for the tool immediately following it only where M498/M499 must be global?

For my particular usage, permanently disabling tool wash for the probe would be the simple thing to do, and would work since the probe is 100% of the time the first tool used. I'm just not sure if I want to give up cleaning the taper every tool change on one of the most important tools. Gotta noodle it over a bit.

EDIT: M497 works great and is simple, thanks! And I believe my guesses in paragraph 3 above are correct. It's too bad it doesn't get replaced by an air blast, but I'll see if I can live with it.

Brother lets you get your fingers so far into the control, one wonders if there is a way to shut off the coolant pump and turn it back on again, rather than the front panel switch

Back