What's new
What's new

Monarch Lathe Model 60

jberenyi

Plastic
Hello Everyone. I just got contacted about this lathe which has become available due to a death in the family. I have always loved Monarch's and this one looks to be in great shape. To the best of my knowledge looking at photos online, I believe it to be a Model 60. I had a want out there for a lathe and this popped up. My only concern is its size and intended use. I'm an ex automatic screw machine man from the 80's and early 90's so I know how to use equipment but I wonder if this is too much for my 3-car garage. My intended use is not production but hobby and widget use. I also don't think this does metric threads which I would really like to have as well. What are your folk's thoughts on this machine for my needs? Should I look more at the 10EE instead? That Model 60 is over 5,000lbs!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 246
As someone who's had both the 60 and the 10ee in a really small 2 car garage at one time or another.... go for the 60. I'll most likely get flamed, but for widget use the 10ee is too limited in size to do a lot of the things that always seem to present themselves.

Looks like a 13x30" Series 60 or 61. Very nice lathes in my opinion (I'd consider it an ideal size lathe if I only had one). Specific issues with this machine TBD. Does it take more room than a 10EE? Yes, but not a lot more. You'll need an RPC or VFD to power it. I'd **guess** it has something in the vicinity of a 10HP motor. Biggest difference you're likely to see besides size between this and a 10EE is the top RPM. This may be as low as about 750 or as high as 1500 for max RPM.

I believe you can get (or make) metric change gears but be sitting down when you price them.
vintagemachinery.org has a good section on Monarch's in their old manufacturers reprints

What would be a fair price for this machine as it sits? I have no idea if there is any tooling for it.

Lots of variability in what a lathe is worth, depending on several things, tooling being one of them. Wear is the other big issue, if the ways are worn it is a major issue to fix. Location is another factor, machines vary some as some places they are few and far between.

If it runs, you can go through all the gears and feeds without major issues, and you can't catch your fingers on a ridge in the ways, and includes the chuck and toolpost in the picture, $4-5k would be a reasonable price. (??) Machine dealers would probably be asking around $7-8k. Be sure to consider how you're going to move it in the process. A drop deck trailer rental from Sunbelt is a common approach, if you have a decent pickup truck or a friend with one.

I paid 2500 bucks for mine, unused, still bolted to the monarch shipping crate, tooling will and to value. It is 70 years old after all...Phil

As Rabler stated its a 13", with actual swing 15.5" i belive. The upper site glass on headstock, with it placed in the middle of gear shifters is how 13's were. Larger Series 60/61 have site glass more towards chuck end.

I also think its a 60 series. The "Monarch" cast into bed at TS end seems more the style for series 60. By the time they were labeled 61 series, that logo was not cast into the bed anymore, not that I've seen anyway.

You have lead screw reverse, real nice option that comes on tool room lathes. Can't see taper attachment from this one pic, but it should be there. A 13" should have a little higher spindle speed too, guessing 1200-1500rpm.

Yea its heavy, but that weight makes nice stability and rigidity. All things considered, if i could only have one, I'd probably choose that over a 10ee as well. And it will absolutely fit in your garage. I have a 54" bed on a 16" version in mine.

There was a period in the mid 50s where the model 60 was fitted with what Monarch called the 61 gearbox dial. This looks like one of those. DAve

The lady at monarch said my 1954 machine was a "model 60 with 61 features", which just means it has the enclosed gearbox. That machine has something different above where the taper setup is on most. Hard to tell from the picture.

I wonder if it is the one I saw a few years ago in Spanish Fork? I bought my Series 60 (identical size, etc) from the gentleman, and he kept it's nicer twin that looked like the one you posted.

This tool room lathe you're considering has 15.5" actual swing and the optional lead screw reverse. Threading is a dream!

One more thing... That lathe is not too much for your garage. I have owned the South Bend, Sheldon, etc., and NOT to bash them, but there is NO COMPARISON. That Series 60 will take up a bit more space that a SB 13x54, but will be worth it!

Back